Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Mobile speed cameras - again

Views : 2327

Replies : 35

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 16th, 2018, 18:28   #1
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Default Mobile speed cameras - again

what are the rules now on where they place these? I thought that the road had to have the signs saying that cameras are used on the road for them to put a van on the road?

I passed one today on the A31 at Arlesford which was hidden under a bridge but also there are no speed camera signs around there for a few miles either way.

Luckily i was only doing 60 so should be OK, just wondered if anyone knows the current rules?
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 18:51   #2
NigelDay
Premier Member

Some areas publish the sites. An example here from Avon and Somerset Police.

https://www.avonandsomerset.police.u...loucestershire

However, I have not found other forces do this in the public domain.
It does suggest however that the sites have to approved. Off the main carrageway and in a safe location are certainly pre-requisites.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 19:12   #3
Simon Jones
Premier Member

If driving within the speed limits, why would the location of a camera be of any concern?
2001 V70 D5 - sold
2000 V70 Classic 2.4 - sold
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simon Jones For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 19:29   #4
XCeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Jones View Post
If driving within the speed limits, why would the location of a camera be of any concern?
Best policy these days is to expect cameras to be anywhere and everywhere. I have been past two camera recently in most unlikely positions, one just round the corner from where I live. Never saw one there before, ever. So glad my speed limiter was set to 31 mph from start up
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 19:32   #5
Dippydog
Premier Member

Our local weekly paper publishes dates/times/locations of mobile cameras for the coming week.On the main road near me[our road spurs off it]they just park at the roadside where other cars park.They don't put any warning signs out that they are there,but as it's a 30 zone and I don't exceed this when using the road I don't care whether they put signs up or not.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 22:25   #6
GrahamHR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Jones View Post

Just the same as asking why anyone would buy a car that could exceed the arbitrary speed limit.

You did buy one , didn't you ?
GrahamHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 22:53   #7
Simon Jones
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamHR View Post
You did buy one , didn't you ?
Indeed I did, but as much as I enjoyed the complimentary coffee and chocolate muffins at a speed awareness course at the Holiday Inn, I don't plan on paying a further £90 to repeat the exercise
2001 V70 D5 - sold
2000 V70 Classic 2.4 - sold
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simon Jones For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 17th, 2018, 06:39   #8
MikeGMT
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
what are the rules now on where they place these? I thought that the road had to have the signs saying that cameras are used on the road for them to put a van on the road?

I passed one today on the A31 at Arlesford which was hidden under a bridge but also there are no speed camera signs around there for a few miles either way.

Luckily i was only doing 60 so should be OK, just wondered if anyone knows the current rules?
December, 2005 the National Safety Camera Programme with the 'netting off funding arrangements' came to an end. As part of the programme it was mandatory that certain rules were followed regarding signage and visibility. Cameras had to be either/or yellow/reflective depending wether or not there is street lighting and signs had to be displayed at certain intervals. Camera vans had to be liveried to make them conspicuous and enforcement officers had to wear hi-viz clothing. This was mandated to make the speed enforcement visible between 60-100m depending on the speed limits in force.

After 2005 speed enforcement was handed to local authorities with their speed camera partnerships. DoT recommended the partnerships follow the already mandated rules although these were no longer applicable with the ending of the netting off programme and were guidelines only.

Quote:
This camera signing, visibility and conspicuity guidance has no bearing on the enforcement of offences. Non-compliance with this guidance does not provide any mitigation of, or defence for, an alleged offence committed under current UK law.
So it would seem that some partnerships are not playing with a straight bat.
I just tend to stick to the posted limits nowadays, it's less stressful unless you have eyes like a ****houserat.

Mike

Last edited by MikeGMT; Feb 17th, 2018 at 06:47.
MikeGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MikeGMT For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 17th, 2018, 08:11   #9
allan505

Default Rules

There seems to be some confusion by some people answering this question by the oppo. He asked what the signage rules where regarding mobile speed cameras, not whether or not he needs a slapped wrist or some guys a hero medal. Whether you stick to the rules of the road or not. If it's law (which it doesn't look like it is) to have signage etc, surely it works both ways. So saying you're not bothered because you never ever speed isn't really the answer is it?. If you follow the rules surely the police should too?
allan505 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to allan505 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 17th, 2018, 08:25   #10
MikeGMT
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan505 View Post
There seems to be some confusion by some people answering this question by the oppo. He asked what the signage rules where regarding mobile speed cameras, not whether or not he needs a slapped wrist or some guys a hero medal. Whether you stick to the rules of the road or not. If it's law (which it doesn't look like it is) to have signage etc, surely it works both ways. So saying you're not bothered because you never ever speed isn't really the answer is it?. If you follow the rules surely the police should too?
As far as I can make out there are no rules only guidelines. Seems to be some partnerships are more transparent than others.
MikeGMT is offline   Reply With Quote