Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Mobile speed cameras - again

Views : 2301

Replies : 35

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 18th, 2018, 09:12   #21
Simon Jones
Premier Member

The problem here is not the top speed of car, it's the driver using it inappropriately. Let's say cars were limited to 90 mph but someone decided to drive it at 90 in a 30 limit outside school when all the children were coming out. The manufacturers would then be blamed for making a car that could exceed the limit by a factor of three. Taking it to the logical conclusion, no vehicles should be able to exceed the lowest speed enforceable limit, which is probably 20 mph.
2001 V70 D5 - sold
2000 V70 Classic 2.4 - sold
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2018, 09:30   #22
MikeGMT
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelDay View Post
Actually, it takes a lot of torque, but here's the real problem. Manufacturers produce cars which can exceed even the 70mph limit by a significant margin. It is actually difficult to defend selling cars with such 'licence-risking / dangerous speed' potential. Only a very small proportion of UK drivers ever experience the joy of the German autobahns where, when conditions allow, you can have blast at over the ton. On such smooth roads, my XC60 is very quiet and stable under these conditions. Fuel consumption is poor, but you only drive for short periods at this speed (unless you are a 'local'). However, in all other countries, what is the point in selling cars which can drive so much in excess of the national motorway limits ? There is none, and it begs the question why governments have not regulated for speed limiters to be fitted to cars. This would not affect in-gear acceleration required for safe overtaking, but merely curtail 'dangerous' motorway speeding. A limit of 90mph could be argued as a reasonable measure, but some would argue it could be less, although not 70mph, as you would then have the situation with cars as you do for lorries limited to 56mph when you get convoys trying to overtake at marginal speed differences.
I would guess manufacturers will produce high capacity powerful engines while ever there is a demand. Who would want a Ferrari or Aston with a 1500cc 120bhp powerplant. Whilst powerful cars can easily exceed speed limits they are still inanimate unthinking lumps of metal, until there is some human interaction and then 'driver attitude' comes into play. Even if speeds were limited to for example 90mph the car could still be driven far in excess of lower posted speed limits.
MikeGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2018, 09:44   #23
XCeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelDay View Post
....what is the point in selling cars which can drive so much in excess of the national motorway limits ? There is none, and it begs the question why governments have not regulated for speed limiters to be fitted to cars. This would not affect in-gear acceleration required for safe overtaking, but merely curtail 'dangerous' motorway speeding.
Quite right. Car manufacturers, magazines and boy racing celebrity oiks a la Top Gear have a lot to answer for in our perception of motoring. Essentially, a car is a means of getting from A to B efficiently, in comfort and safely. It is not meant to be a racing car - they’re built for race tracks where high speed belongs.
So when will manufacturers stop trumpeting irrelevant 0 to 60 and top speed figures, and instead promote the virtues of inbuilt limiters and loud warnings when speed limits are breached? When, if, all cars become autonomous then no car will exceed the road limits, so why not get used to it now?
For example, sign recognition is already a feature of many new cars - why can’t the next step be to automatically cut the speed to the designated limit, with an override for emergencies?
Radical? Killjoy? Boring? Probably, but people’s safety is far more important than pandering to the Sterling Moss brigade, many of whom are nowhere near as good a driver as they think they are. Let loose with fast missiles like cars they are a menace and only a complete rethink of attitudes will change things.

Old Feb 18th, 2018, 09:58   #24
canis
Non Fragile

Actually, forget it.

Last edited by canis; Feb 18th, 2018 at 10:03.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2018, 10:02   #25
MikeGMT
VOC Member

Begs the question why do we need cars with road sign recognition, blind spot detection, speed limiters et al. I'm all for safety, but we have passed the driving test, been granted the privilege of holding a driving license so what's going wrong? Is driving becoming so dumbed down! Perhaps it is and that's part of the problem.

Mike
MikeGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeGMT For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 18th, 2018, 11:10   #26
NigelDay
Premier Member

There's no easy answer to 'speed'. Actually, most of us are more 'at risk' of being 'caught' in urge areas where the limits change from 30 to 40 to 50 to 40 to 30. The rural / national 60 and 70 limits are much easier to adhere to, often with the sensible use of cruise control. I know when I drive in areas I am unfamiliar with, this is an extra level of concentration required on top on road signs and getting in the right lane.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NigelDay For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 19th, 2018, 23:24   #27
GrahamHR

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCeed View Post
When, if, all cars become autonomous then no car will exceed the road limits, so why not get used to it now?
For example, sign recognition is already a feature of many new cars - why can’t the next step be to automatically cut the speed to the designated limit, with an override for emergencies?
If autonomous cars ever appear in numbers, I hope the speed limit recognition system is vastly improved. My 2015 car has it, it recently showed a 10mph limit sign on the dash, in a 50 limit on a dual carriageway ( where UK trucks were all doing 56mph, Irish ones 65 mph). If as a result the car had automatically slowed to 10mph I think I would have been in an accident quicker than any manual override could have been used. Can you imagine the chaos with autonomous cars all "thinking" the posted speed limit is different ? ( regardless of what the real safe speed is).

Last edited by GrahamHR; Feb 19th, 2018 at 23:26.
GrahamHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2018, 02:40   #28
NigelDay
Premier Member

The other problem is the resolution of he speedometer. Mine goes to 160mph. Why is this over twice the motorway speed limit ?
If they only ran to 100mph, the resolution at 30/40/50/60 and 70 mph would be improved, making it easier to stick to the particular limit.
And no, I don't like digital speedometers.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20th, 2018, 09:47   #29
XCeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamHR View Post
If autonomous cars ever appear in numbers, I hope the speed limit recognition system is vastly improved.
Indeed, the system will have to be foolproof, which will mean a massive investment to improve all road signage, even through temporary limits such as roadworks. How else would an autonomous car know the speed to travel at since the car occupant will be asleep on the back seat!?
Actually, I think the present system is worthwhile (although not perfect). It concentrates the mind when a big speed figure in a red circle looms large on your dashboard.
Old Feb 20th, 2018, 10:23   #30
domhart10
Volvo S40

are we talking about a mobile van that has signs saying its a van with a camera in it? The big vans that you can spot that are usually white ... siting on the side of the road or the top of the bridge where you dont usually see things?

Surely just keeping your eyes open while driving should allow you to see these things unless your doing 140mph+ If you cant I recon spec savers might be worth a visit

I would be more concerned about the under cover police cars thats roam around the motorways. Here I would scan sleen exec cars for two people in the front seats and if they have their police jackets on or not ... and also any dectoctor ariel stuff in or outside the car.

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to domhart10 For This Useful Post: