Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sensus connect/touch

Views : 1282

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 2nd, 2014, 02:00   #1
Keil29

Default Sensus connect/touch

Hi, new to the site so may be posting this in the wrong section!

However, I have just ordered my V40 R-design with the new D4 engine, MY15, I have decided to add the Nav with sensus connect at £1200, but I am a little confused with all the talk of the touch option, I can't find this any where on the volvo site and having spoken to my dealer they were not to forth coming with any info.

Does any one know if the one I ha ordered will be the touch screen, or whether there is a way to order this instead of the normal one? If so how much it is.

Secondly is there a way of connecting a secondary screen that I can place in the rear for my child, obviously there is a built in DVD player so this would be great for her, any outputs etc?

I am also guessing that there will be some sort of safety device that disables the screen when in motion, is there a way around this?

Thanks in advance
Keil29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2014, 11:25   #2
tickedon
Master Member

I can't help with the second bit, but, for the first...

'Volvo Sensus' was the name given to the infotainment system in Volvo's most-recent cars (except those on older platforms, like the XC90 etc.). It had a 5" or 7" screen depending on the options selected. From MY14.5-ish, it is now the basic system every Volvo gets that has a 5" screen.

'Volvo Sensus Connect' is a newer infotainment system, it uses different software to do the same thing, but also has internet connectivity and apps and various other things. It does not have a touchscreen. It is only included on models where you upgrade to the larger 7" screen and built from MY14.5-ish onwards.

'Volvo Sensus Connected Touch' (SCT), is an upgrade for the older 'Volvo Sensus' system only (doesn't work with Volvo Sensus Connect). It replaces the system with a re-branded third-party Android system. For cars with the 7" screen already, you just add a touchscreen layer and a new box to run the different system. For cars with the 5" screen, the screen is replaced with a 7", with a touchscreen layer, and a new box. It is a dealer fit accessory only, and costs £1200 or thereabouts.

If you wanted the touchscreen option, you'd have to build your Volvo with the basic 5" sensus system, and then get the dealer to perform the SCT upgrade for £1200 or so, assuming that's available on the V40 (I'm only familiar with the S60). However, I'd personally skip the touchscreen and go with the Volvo Sensus Connect system.
Old Aug 3rd, 2014, 14:09   #3
Keil29

Thanks for getting back to me, I'm also a little confused that I've read that you can turn the heating on and set the satnav and give a one time access code so others can get in the car, all using an app on a smart phone with the connect, however I can't find the app, is this something that is available on the uk versions?
Keil29 is offline   Reply With Quote