Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S40 R-Design

Views : 959

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 5th, 2008, 08:06   #1
poodle

Default S40 R-Design

Picked up my S40 R-Design yesterday, can anyone tell me why the S40's sit so high on the suspension.
The R-Design is supposed to have the sports suspension but sits like it's on stilts, mine only has the 17's on it but even with the 18's they look no better.
poodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 10:00   #2
Marmoset

I suspect that the real answer is that a car rides and handles better on British roads if there is adequate wheel travel - a slightly different beast, The Lamborghini Gallardo, looks higher than it's rivals, the rave reviews it gets as a good car on the UK roads is as a consequance of greater wheel travel.
Marmoset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 13:08   #3
poodle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmoset View Post
I suspect that the real answer is that a car rides and handles better on British roads if there is adequate wheel travel - a slightly different beast, The Lamborghini Gallardo, looks higher than it's rivals, the rave reviews it gets as a good car on the UK roads is as a consequance of greater wheel travel.
i could a head of elephants between the gap on the tyre to the body !!!
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 15:23   #4
Volvo2B
On The Go

hi poodle whats it like then? Is it what you expected (apart from the tyre to body gap)?
Nice to see some posted pics please.....
Volvo2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 15:59   #5
poodle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo2B View Post
hi poodle whats it like then? Is it what you expected (apart from the tyre to body gap)?
Nice to see some posted pics please.....
Ive come from a 9-5 Saab to the S40 and the mrs has a 130i M Sport, the build quality has supprised me, it's better than the 1 series.
It rides really well, the car has the 17" wheels on it, I couldn't spec anything on the car not even the colour (Brilliant Blue) as it was already on the line when I ordered it but did want the 18" wheels.
As I said it needs lowering about 2" to make it look right and I would prefer the R-Design to come with the more subtle boot lip spoiler than the raised one.
It's a 2.0d which given only has 130 odd bhp goes really really well and pulls strongly in all the gears. I will at some point get a RICA map on it after the engimes loosened up a bit.
The reason I went for the S40 was it's a change from all the Mondeo's, 3 series and A4's you see everywhere and if I was to spec a 3 series M Sport or A4 S Line to spec of the standard R-Design then it would of cost about another £5 or £6k on top.
I only picked it up on Tuesday afternoon and only done 120 miles in it so far but pleased with it so far.
Will put up some pics of it.
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 19:47   #6
Volvo2B
On The Go

Nice one Poodle - nice to hear the build quality is better than the 1 series, even though I don't doubt the build quality on a BMW!!

How long before the engine loosens up on the diesels then? Is it usually the same for all diesels are have Volvo given you some guidance?

Enjoy...
Volvo2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 17:02   #7
Marmoset

I only felt mine was loosened up properly after 10k miles.

The car has also lowered itself over the past 70k as well so you may not need to spend the money on lowering!
Marmoset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 14:08   #8
poodle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmoset View Post
I only felt mine was loosened up properly after 10k miles.

The car has also lowered itself over the past 70k as well so you may not need to spend the money on lowering!
Hi I dropped you a IM on swedesepped forum, did you get it ?