Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wind noise on a new S40

Views : 2110

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 5th, 2006, 21:28   #1
littleyellowduck

Exclamation Wind noise on a new S40

I have, over the past few weeks suffered from wind.....

Or should I say the S40 has....

At about 70mph the whistling coming from (what I thought was the drivers door mirror) was driving me mad.....I had to go under 60mph to avoid it...

When I lowered the window to 'play' with the mirror to see if it made any difference, the noise stopped.....

I have since found it to be the drivers window. When the electric motor raises the window, it is meant to cut out and the window drop down very slightly. It does this on the three other windows, but not always on the drivers. You notice that when the window reaches the top, the pressure is still applied and the window bows out very slightly, which is causing the whistling noise. If you lower the window a minute amount, or keep 'raising it until it drops back like it is supposed to' the whistling stops......

Has anyone else found this or had problems with the drivers window motor?

Martin
littleyellowduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 09:04   #2
Marmoset

I've had it sometimes on my V50. Just fiddling with the window switch cures it - it doesn;t happen all the time like you say. Over christmas when it was really cold I seemed to have whistling from all sides - took it to the dealer and, wouldn't you know it, there was no whistling on the test drive. Trouble is, it's cold enough to whistle at 6am but the test drive is not taking place before 8.30 It seems to have disappeared now that it's not -5.
Marmoset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 19:26   #3
littleyellowduck

Default Cold..

I agree...I think it has something to do with this....The problem started about a couple of weeks ago when we had a frost, and the drivers window froze up and when I tried to lower it, the motor strained away until it eventually went down.....

I think the moral of this is to spray the side windows with de-icer as well as the screen, and try and avoid using electric windows until the car is warm and the windows will lower freely.....I have a feeling a new window motor would not be cheap......but there again, is anything on a Volvo?
littleyellowduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 22:37   #4
2.4cruiser

Hi I have just picked up a C30 and get wind noise around the doors or windows above 50mph, it sounds like the windows are not closing properly, I will try the solutions mentioned below.
Thanks
2.4cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 02:15   #5
Mister T

Martin ,
See your dealer and ask them to upgrade the door module software this will reset the softstop position and let the window sit in it normal up position.
Mister T.
Mister T is offline   Reply With Quote