Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Ongoing alternator/battery issue

Views : 691

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 30th, 2019, 12:08   #1
Mike2019

Exclamation Ongoing alternator/battery issue

Apologies first of all if this should have been placed somewhere else, but I'm looking for some help with an ongoing issue.

About 4 weeks ago my car (2010 1.6 Volvo C30) died. AA came out and confirmed the alternator was knackered and as a result the battery was flat.

Managed to get it to a garage and get a new alternator fitted and all seemed well.
After a week or so I started to notice another problem, and this hadn't been present before. Initially everything was okay, however once I'd driven for maybe 7 or 8 miles little issues would arise- e.g. the radio would intermittently turn off and immediately come back on when turning some corners, after a while the stereo screen itself would flicker, and when returning home I park in front of a wall, and could see that my headlights were also dimming and flickering.
As mentioned the issues aren't present when starting the car, I can see initially the lights are fine, radio stays on etc, it's only after driving for maybe 20 minutes or so these issues start to occur.

I took the car back to the garage (unfortunately not a volvo garage, as I'm not that close to one). They advised that the battery was knackered and needed replacing. A new bosch battery was fitted a couple of weeks ago- the car was running much better, had more power, accelerated better, even the steering seemed better, but now the same issue is occuring again.

The issue with the radio is returning, the lights flicker after the car has been driving for a little while, even the steering doesn't feel as light either (I don't know whether that's me imagining things though).

I'm due to take it back to the garage, but wondered if anybody had an idea as to what might be causing this? This particular issue wasn't present before the alternator was replaced.

I get a message on the cars dashboard now and then saying "Anti-skid service required" and "Anti-Skid temporarily off", if that means anything, that warning has been coming and going since late last year.
I recently hit quite a bad pot hole and as a result the front wheels need realigning- again these may be totally irrelevant but thought it would be worth me noting any issue with the car.
I don't get any warning lights on the dashboard, when these issues occur. The car has done about 110k in mileage.

Appreciate any light that can be shed on this issue.

Many Thanks!
Mike
Mike2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2019, 12:14   #2
AndrasL

I would get a multimeter and check battery voltage, then check if the alternator is charging all right. You can find guides on how to do this online.
AndrasL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2019, 18:55   #3
bugsb

as above do a voltage check on the alternator when charging (engine running ) if i remember correctly max is 14.4v
bugsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2019, 13:40   #4
Mike2019

Appreciate the responses. Just an update, it's gone back into the garage today and I've been advised there was an intermittent fault with the alternator they had put in- so looks like that was to blame. Will see if the new alternator sorts the issue.
Mike2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike2019 For This Useful Post:

Tags
alternator, battery, c30, electrical fault