Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Advice please - Oh wise ones.....

Views : 706

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 13th, 2008, 07:13   #1
bigmick

Default Advice please - Oh wise ones.....

Hi All

My V50 is in to Lipscomb Maidstone in a couple of weeks to have the falppy noise (previous thred of mine) sorted - they say they have identified but the dash has to all come out - yippee!

I have been considering the Volvo handsfree bluetooth kit (Motorola I think) and thought it would be a good idea to have it fitted at the same time as the dash was off. Asked for a discount on the fitting charge as they had it in pieces anyway but theye were not willing to play balll - seems a little unfair.

Anyway the money side is something I need to decide on. What I really wanted to know is, is this unit really worth the £295 fitted charge or am I better sticking to my £20 earpiece. I want to use my Blackberry 8800 with the Volvo kit. It is not the most beautiful piece of kit and I wonder where people have mounted their's to be subtle but still functional.

I have seen it cheaper in Carphone Warehouse but wonder what care their fitters would take of my beloved interior?

Just as an update - my recent second accident last month also prompted a speedy repair to the side which got swiped by a Dutch lorry last October and had still not been able to be sorted due to the Motor Insurance Bureau dragging their heels. Top marks to Volvo Accident Assist/Qdos/ Lipscomb Ashford for sorting it all out.

Cheers for now
bigmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2008, 10:33   #2
iainmd

I have seen pictures on other forums of other owners Volvo BT kit installs. IMHO the best place to fit it is (as they have done) just under the ignition beside the centre stack. Volvo's instructions for fitting mean that dealers put it in front of the gear stick on your centre stack and it looks pretty dreadful and out of place.

It's only my opinion though as I don't have one fitted.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2008, 08:49   #3
Kostas
Prancing Moose

Since the cost of the motorolla unit is quite high, you could possibly consider purchasing the Garmin Nuvi 760 installed in the center of the dash. Apart from being a brilliant portable navigation unit, this is also a bluetooth and an mp3 player, and installed in the dash by volvo eliminates all cables hanging around. I don't know how much they would charge you over there, but I have seen in the web that the suggested price in Europe should be around £500 (installation included).
Old Mar 16th, 2008, 21:59   #4
Dazza-diesel
VolVo Learner

Hi Mick

ive spent a number of years selling mobile phones, blackberry, car kits and GPS….

I would recommend the following:

I don’t believe the Volvo option is the best option or the most cost effective. Although Bluetooth is a generic way of connecting 2 devices they rely on Bluetooth profiles and you may have an issue between the Volvo (Motorola) kit and your 8800.

I would recommend a good 3rd party kit like the Parrot CK3100 http://www.parrot.com/usa/products/h...its/ck3100-lcd

I have had a CK3100 fitted in my S40 (2004) by a local independent fitter, great company and perfect work no marks or scratches. I was quoted £240 inc vat so did a little bargaining for cash and got the price down to £210.

While the fitter was here I got him to hardwire in a power cable for my Navman GPS (£10) and hardwire a phone charger under the centre consol coming up in the tray behind the floating consol so I can plug my phone in and lay it in the tray.

The CK3100 has a small display and allows you to scroll through your phone book and see who is calling so no need to have the phone in sight.

As for Carphone Warehouse I wouldn’t have them work on my car anymore than I would let a monkey with a hammer….

I will try and get some pics of my install

The above is only my opinion but I hope it helps….
Dazza-diesel is offline   Reply With Quote