Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Potential XC60 purchase

Views : 1080

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 12th, 2014, 12:59   #1
Chris36

Default Potential XC60 purchase

I currently have a Freelander 2 and am considering an XC60 AWD as a replacement and have got a few questions.

Has anyone else Changed from a Freelander 2 to an XC60 and have any useful thoughts and experiences. My main concern is the boot size.

We tow a caravan, is the load compensating suspension a worthwhile extra if I have an SE or SE Lux?

Reading various posts on towbars, I can't seem to find a definitive answer on the factory fit wiring option. Does it come wired to work Alko ATC and to allow a power supply to the caravan fridge? If not, how much is it to get this done?

Finally, fuel economy! Can I assume I'm going to see a significant improvement over my FL2. Over the 5 years I've owned the car I've averaged around 32mpg, compared with the published combined value of 37.

Thank you in advance for any replies!
Chris36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2014, 13:32   #2
andymcp
Premier Member

I looked at the XC60 when we sold our Freelander 2, and although we didn't go for it I can comment on what we found when comparing.

Boot size - the Freelander has a smaller boot in real life, as the published freelander volume is to the roofline rather than the load cover, which is how Volvo measure boot volume. We also found that the usable space was better although that may depend on what you're carrying. From memory the actual freelander volume to load cover is around 450ish, although some of that comes from the two pockets rear of the wheel arches and there was debate over how much came from the underfloor space if you don't choose a full size spare.

The dealer we went to sold both LR and Volvo, and the advice was in AWD versions we shouldn't expect any improvement. We had the TD4e version and managed a lifetime average of 33, versus the claimed 44mpg combined.

Afraid I can't help re the towbar - I have a detachable factory one fitted to my V60 which just has the standard single 13 pin electrics, not sure if it varies for XC60.

Good luck in your hunt.

Mine: 2014 V60 D4 SE Lux Nav Geartronic
Mrs McP: 2013 V40 D2 R-Design Lux Nav
andymcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2014, 15:36   #3
Jack_of_all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris36 View Post

We tow a caravan, is the load compensating suspension a worthwhile extra if I have an SE or SE Lux?

Reading various posts on towbars, I can't seem to find a definitive answer on the factory fit wiring option. Does it come wired to work Alko ATC and to allow a power supply to the caravan fridge? If not, how much is it to get this done?
we tow with our SE lux AWD. the Volvo wiring by default powers the fridge when the engine is running...well ours does!...although not sure about the ATC as we don't have this.....i would assume it is as the trailer safety system will activate on the car when you plug in anyway so there must be a signal there to do that. Does the ATC just need power in which case all pins are powered as required and including both grounds, which is what i think you need.

also what are you towing...our sprite major is more than happy behind the car...never felt the need to add on the compensating suspension either and this is our second xc60. As long as you have your nose weight correct, then it will be fine.
Jack_of_all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2014, 17:46   #4
Chris36

Thanks for the replies.

We tow a bailey Olympus 525, which is about 1460kg loaded, so is within the 85% match. The ATC draws power from pin 9 of the wiring system, which from reading the caravan forum appears to be prewired.

I've got a nose weight gauge and normally use it before towing, just to make sure!

Thanks for the comments regarding boot size. I've taken the tape measure to the freelander and looked online for the xc60 dimensions and thought the xc looked bigger floor area, but possibly not quite as tall.

We've got a test drive booked for Sunday afternoon, so we'll see how we go on.
Old Mar 12th, 2014, 19:37   #5
Stevelimabravo

Changed from 08 td4 HSE freelander 2 to a 2012 D5 xc60 R Design just before xmas, they are very different, the xc60 is a much more refined vehicle, boot is bigger, seems to be more interior space, having done @ 10k miles getting 34-35 mpg (mainly motorway).
Not having any snow, can't comment on its awd, don't tow anything.

Get an xc60 with as many options as you can afford, adaptive cruise, auto, heated seats, nav etc, you won't be disappointed.
Old Mar 12th, 2014, 21:12   #6
8ig steve

Default Awaiting an XC60

We have never owned a FL2 but we have just chosen to order an XC60 and the FL2 was the nearest alternative. So the following may be useful

I loved the FL2 and the dealers in my area were friendly and not slow at offering all day and overnight test drives. The equipment levels on the HSE model were excellent as was the even higher diving position and very light steering (some would not like it because it was a bit like driving a video game).

The reasons that the Volvo won out in the end (and I can tell you it was a close run thing) were, Luggage space large and flat in the Volvo (I still need to lug equipment for work), Seat comfort, Lack of headroom in the FL2, Five cylinders & 25hp, Fuel economy & CO2 (Marginally worse), very crude cruise control & Sat Nav in the FL. Disappointingly we also found out, AFTER we told the dealers we would not be buying, that there is a new model expected very soon.

The negative points on the Volvo relate mainly to the lack of storage trays (for phone, coins USB sticks pens etc) around the centre console and the Slab thing in the middle has masses of wasted space on a panel with very small switch buttons spread at random. Bigger buttons arranged logically and cut the bottom six inches off with a storage tray underneath would be my solution. The price of the Volvo is excessive and would have been a deal breaker but for the excellent discounts and the fuel & CO2 figures are very poor compared to today's expected standards.
8ig steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2014, 10:31   #7
Paulel

Hi Chris, I only have very limited experience of both but I thought I'd share my views with you.

I've liked both the Freelander and the XC60 for several years but couldn't afford either. Recently my financial situation changed so last Monday I test drove a FL2. I have to say I was instantly disappointed when I sat in it. The seat was hard and the interior felt very 'plasticky'. The drive was ok but very uninspiring.

The following day I test drove the XC60 and instantly loved it. The interior felt classy compared to the FL2, and the seat was very comfotable. As soon as I started to drive it I knew it was my car and a couple of hours later I had put down a deposit!

As I said at the beginning, my experience is very limited so make of it what you will. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Paulel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2014, 08:39   #8
RussJ759

I had a 2011 Freelander HSE for a year before moving to an XC60.
The Freelander was a good car and brilliant in snow (remember snow?) but for me was too much like driving a van. The soft suspension induced a side to side wobble which I found very disconcerting and the luggage space was tiny in comparison with the size of the vehicle. It was quiet on the motorways and I found the seats comfy (we had the Windsor leather upgrade). The heated front screen was a great idea also.
However, a test drive in the XC60 soon convinced me that it was a better bet for us - I'd happily trade off road capability (which I'll never need) for a more car-like driving experience, that characterful 5 pot engine and a decent boot.
Fuel consumption is much the same - 33/35 around town and about 40 on a run.
So, unless you really need the off-road bit, I'd recommend the Volvo but, as others have said, try and get one with all the toys...
Russ
RussJ759 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2014, 08:57   #9
Chris36

Thanks for all the replies.

The comments regarding the boot space confirm my suspicions that the XC has a more usable boot space. As long as it is wide enough to get the awning poles in we'll be ok.

I think the seating possition in the FL2 isn't to everyones taste. I agree it can feel a bit like driving a van, especially when you go from a small sporty car. Also the suspension does bounce about a bit.

I don't really need the off road capabilities, worst case I'll get some winter tyres. I can't really comment about the FL2's winter capability, the first sign of snow I was left with my wifes Alfa Mito (which was surprising good in the snow, and fun!)

Fortunately I'm a member of the Caravan Club and the Institute of Advanced Mortorists, both of which Volvo give offers to members, so I'll see which is the best.

Currently I'm thinking of a D4 AWD SE Lux with winter pack, family pack, privacy, caspian blue, tow bar and 5yr servicing pack. Not sure about the load compensating suspension

Looked at a D5, but the budget won't quite stretch that far, if only they did the D5 without a NAV option!!! Given the D4 is more powerful and has more torque than the FL2, it should be good at towing.
Old Mar 14th, 2014, 11:47   #10
ah58

I had a 2008 FL2 HSE auto for 5 years, which I swapped for a 2-month old XC60 SE Lux auto last June. Although I miss the higher driving position in the FL2, the XC60 is more comfortable, has a much larger usable boot, and is more refined and better finished inside.

I was tempted to get a new FL2 HSE but there wasn't enough improvement over the earlier version I already had, and the XC60 felt a lot more modern.

MPG on the XC60 since I had it is around 37, FL2 was around 33.
ah58 is offline   Reply With Quote