Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 Dash top removal

Views : 2008

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 1st, 2016, 12:27   #1
Chooch84
940 Noob

Default 940 Dash top removal

Hi,

Has anyone attempted or succeeded to remove the top of the dash before?

If so, where are the mounting points? Apart from the vents, instrument cluster, speakers and A-Post trim, is their anything else I should look out for as in hidden wire fixing points etc etc?!?

Kind Regards,

T

16 BMW 330e
Chooch84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2016, 14:43   #2
827Roverman
VOC Member

Question Dash removal ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chooch84 View Post
Hi,

Has anyone attempted or succeeded to remove the top of the dash before?

If so, where are the mounting points? Apart from the vents, instrument cluster, speakers and A-Post trim, is their anything else I should look out for as in hidden wire fixing points etc etc?!?

Kind Regards,

T
Sorry can't help you regarding your dash, but have you removed the air vents, if so how, do they just pull out ?
827Roverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2016, 15:10   #3
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 827Roverman View Post
Sorry can't help you regarding your dash, but have you removed the air vents, if so how, do they just pull out ?
Push the top of the moving part of the vent inwards David then look roughly in the centre of the surround and you should see a screw - needs a #2 Pozidriv unless it's been changed for something different. Each individual vent has one or did on mine anyway!

If you pull them out without removing the screws you break them!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 2nd, 2016, 00:37   #4
Steve940estate
Steam Driven PC Owner.

It's a case of keep undoing stuff until it come out. I took my dash out when converting my car to Turbo spec and had to swap the wiring loom.
Have a read up in the section of the haynes manual for changing the heater matrix.

Why are you planning to take it out ?
Steve940estate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2016, 20:18   #5
Chooch84
940 Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve940estate View Post
It's a case of keep undoing stuff until it come out. I took my dash out when converting my car to Turbo spec and had to swap the wiring loom.
Have a read up in the section of the haynes manual for changing the heater matrix.

Why are you planning to take it out ?
Basically I'm trying to find an annoying buzzing, I've realised that Volvo have ran wiring on top of the vents. Also I need to hide a few things properly!

16 BMW 330e
Chooch84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2016, 10:44   #6
827Roverman
VOC Member

Question Removal of dashboard air vents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Push the top of the moving part of the vent inwards David then look roughly in the centre of the surround and you should see a screw - needs a #2 Pozidriv unless it's been changed for something different. Each individual vent has one or did on mine anyway!

If you pull them out without removing the screws you break them!
I've done what you said, pushed the top of the vent inwards, can not find a screw on any of the vents, any other advice on how to pull them out, don't want to go ham fisted and try and prise them out in case I break them, David.
Old Oct 3rd, 2016, 11:28   #7
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 827Roverman View Post
I've done what you said, pushed the top of the vent inwards, can not find a screw on any of the vents, any other advice on how to pull them out, don't want to go ham fisted and try and prise them out in case I break them, David.
The screws are quite well hidden David, top of the surround, in the centre of where each vent sits, slight upwards angle from point of entry - probably easier to find by feel rather than vision!

If you're still having trouble locating them i'll try to get a couple of photos later.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Oct 3rd, 2016, 16:28   #8
827Roverman
VOC Member

Unhappy Dashboard air vent removal ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
The screws are quite well hidden David, top of the surround, in the centre of where each vent sits, slight upwards angle from point of entry - probably easier to find by feel rather than vision!

If you're still having trouble locating them i'll try to get a couple of photos later.
I would really appreciate that if you could show some photo's, I've just been out again to the car, I've looked very closely but could not see any fixing screw's to either of the two side vents or to the double centre vent, David.
Old Oct 3rd, 2016, 19:39   #9
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

I'll have to get them tomorrow now i'm afraid, this afternoon didn't go to plan and then things took longer than expected so lost the daylight now.

After all my efforts by brake pedal feels different but still not quite right.............

Old Oct 3rd, 2016, 22:44   #10
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Totally off-topic but the penny dropped why my brakes still feel odd - it needs new discs and there's a lip round the edge
Obviously the new pads aren't worn to this and are bouncing off it causing a springy feel.

Just wanted to clear that up rather than leaving a seemingly totally off the ball comment about my brakes!