Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How do you turn off intermittent wipers

Views : 1862

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 12th, 2015, 02:09   #1
Terzoed

Default How do you turn off intermittent wipers

Please help!

I have recently bought a 164. I've got no paper work whatsoever or the hand book.

It's currently a non-runner. I've tried starting it up using a power pack but to no avail. However, everytime I put the ignition on the wipers sweep and carry on doing so intermittently.

The only wiper switch I can find is on the dashboard. I've tried turning it but it either goes to continuous sweeping or wash/wipe.

Can anyone advise me how to turn the intermittent sweep off.

TIA
Terzoed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2015, 10:39   #2
Triple-S
How Old?

Hello and welcome to this exclusive group of Volvo 164 owners!
I'm a bit forgetful but my 164E has such a switch on the dash too, but my car isn't here and I can't remember how it works! However my ordinary (ie with carbs) 164 which is here doesn't have one, just the upward position of the wiper stalk switch for phased wipes.
The owners handbook for the latter car doesn't show one on the dash so perhaps it was an optional extra? I will be going to my stores, where my other 164s are, over the weekend, so will re-boot this failing memory....
By chance did you buy the very red one recently for sale in Classic Car Weekly? That was an Essex car.
I have lots of 2nd hand 164 bits so try me if anything needed: direct mails on paultill@tesco.net if interested. Good luck with the car - an excellent occasional cruiser.

P
Triple-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2015, 12:42   #3
Triple-S
How Old?

Just had another read of your posting, and as you say "on the dashboard" assume yours is an early car (ie pre about '71) in which case the wiper switch is the furthest right one, next to the choke and lights? My '70 car is turn one click one way to wipe normally, two clicks to do rapid wipes then pull out for wash/wipe combined, but no other options.
However my 164E is a '72 car - will check for that cars switch soon: I know I have this additional switch.....

P
Old Aug 12th, 2015, 12:44   #4
Terzoed

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple-S View Post
Hello and welcome to this exclusive group of Volvo 164 owners!
I'm a bit forgetful but my 164E has such a switch on the dash too, but my car isn't here and I can't remember how it works! However my ordinary (ie with carbs) 164 which is here doesn't have one, just the upward position of the wiper stalk switch for phased wipes.
The owners handbook for the latter car doesn't show one on the dash so perhaps it was an optional extra? I will be going to my stores, where my other 164s are, over the weekend, so will re-boot this failing memory....
By chance did you buy the very red one recently for sale in Classic Car Weekly? That was an Essex car.
I have lots of 2nd hand 164 bits so try me if anything needed: direct mails on paultill@tesco.net if interested. Good luck with the car - an excellent occasional cruiser.

P
Thanks for the advice/help. I'll get it a whirl later on.

No, my one is black. See here for the full story: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=234667

I could well be in touch regarding parts. My one is a very complete car but maybe missing 1 or 2 bits

Cheers
Old Aug 12th, 2015, 12:46   #5
Terzoed

Quote:
Just had another read of your posting, and as you say "on the dashboard" assume yours is an early car (ie pre about '71) in which case the wiper switch is the furthest right one, next to the choke and lights? My '70 car is turn one click one way to wipe normally, two clicks to do rapid wipes then pull out for wash/wipe combined, but no other options.
However my 164E is a '72 car - will check for that cars switch soon: I know I have this additional switch.....

P
Yes, it's a '69.

I'll give it a try later
Old Aug 12th, 2015, 14:30   #6
Triple-S
How Old?

Thanks for reply, but why is it that there are so many 164s surviving in Essex? I am in contact with two other in-use cars around your area, know of one in a garden near there too, and there is an enthusiast a bit further northeast who has several....
Black eh - must have been customers choice when new. Never seen a black one, even in Holland, a 164 haven.

P
Old Aug 12th, 2015, 15:39   #7
Terzoed

Quote:
Thanks for reply, but why is it that there are so many 164s surviving in Essex? I am in contact with two other in-use cars around your area, know of one in a garden near there too, and there is an enthusiast a bit further northeast who has several....
Black eh - must have been customers choice when new. Never seen a black one, even in Holland, a 164 haven.

P
I get the impression that there's more to this car then meets the eye. Having done a bit of research I, too, discovered that black is an usual colour. It also has a light blue leather interior, again something that appears to be a rarity for such an early car. Furthermore, it's an automatic

Before finding out it was a one owner vehicle, I had an hunch that it could have been either an Embassy car or perhaps came from a funeral directors but clearly this won't be the case.

As I can't speak to the previous owner (unless I can find a very good Medium!!) I suspect I'll never know which is a bit of a pity as I find that sort of thing as interesting as the car itself.
Old Aug 12th, 2015, 16:46   #8
Triple-S
How Old?

My late '68 164 came from Montrose in Scotland where. according to the last owner, it was the mayor's car. It too has a light blue interior but is midnight blue externally. It also has its original pennant hole in the nose of the bonnet (but no other "exclusive" mods) - does yours have such extras as partitions, any wood door cappings, or rear seat reading lights as did the 164TE?
For interest mine (KSX327G) is VIN no. 164.1342S.03180 which according to my records is the 4th oldest known survivor in the UK. The VIN isn't on the underbonnet plates but stamped down the drivers door pillar between the hinges - might be difficult to see as rust and/or a respray may hide it. The digits are about 6mm high so might be hiding under the draught strip too.
Incidentally the DVLA list just 19 they know of, but there are loads of others. My listings have nearly reached 100 but these last few years several have been scrapped/banger-raced, and several on my list are sadly recently demised.
Your car sounds very interesting - if only cars could talk.

P
Old Sep 8th, 2020, 09:28   #9
Knockbarrie

Default Volvo 164 KSX327G

Hi ,

I am amazed to find that the 164 (KSX327G) once owned by my father still exists . My father bought the car in August 1971 from Strathmore Motors in Perth , Scotland ; it’s first owner was a businessman from Mid Lothian .
It was then fitted with a silver eagle in flight mascot on the bonnet and a badge bar on the front bumper . The 164 was the best car we ever had here on the farm and was eventually traded in for a Rover 3500 SD1 which was a disaster.
Very recently tried to buy a gold coloured 164 down in Essex but couldn’t get to see it because of the pandemic restrictions .
Knockbarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2020, 11:02   #10
Triple-S
How Old?

Knockbarrie - very interesting for several reasons. This original subject is well over 5 years old now, I have left Tesco as my ISP, the car has had to be moved twice due store location changes and it still exists almost in running condition despite not being used!
I bought the car from a display steam engine exhibitor along the south coast last century now, after he cracked the chassis (!) where its badly-designed towbar was bolted on - he was trying to tow a huge static engine to a show from his bumpy access track from his store: it weighed well over 2 tons so illegal anyway.
Years ago I repaired the chassis and did some other bodywork, but haven't continued with the work due lots of family problems (deaths and serious illnesses). Its currently outside unfortunately but if you have sentimental reasons for wanting it back (!) I have two other 164s so don't need it any more! However, a long way from you now - I wonder how it got right down the country before sale? I wish cars could talk.

P