Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Drivers door handle V70

Views : 677

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 17th, 2020, 10:31   #1
MCFastybloke

Default Drivers door handle V70

Gone to my car this morning and the external door handle is hit and miss in its operation,can i replace with the door card on or do i need to strip the door from inside. Its an 08 car.
MCFastybloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2020, 23:15   #2
Black dog

Open the door and There's a cap covering a hole on the door above the catch. Remove the cap and use a long t25 spline key to remove the screw holding the key barrel. The handle will then slide over and come off.
Old Nov 19th, 2020, 16:44   #3
Model flyer
Master Member

You will probably find that the door lock motors (there are two in each lock ) have become weak and contaminated with the lock lubricant . The motors are common with other make door locks and can be bought on ebay for about £11 a door .
You can also clean the motors if you want to.

The door card will have to be stripped out and the window regulator will have to be removed or loosened and the glass either held in place with some tape or removed .
Take lots of pics on your phone when stripping the locks . The motors just plug onto a power ribbon inside the lock .
you then need to remove the back end/brush holder of the motors by bending back the tabs . then gently remove and slip the brushes over the commutator.
Wash all the grease contamination off with some meths or similar. Clean the commutator with 2000 wet & dry paper then reassemble the motors and test wit a 12v battery before reassembling the locks .

The first time I did it it took about three hours and cost £0 I would not like to estimate a garages cost as they will undoubtedly replace the entir lock .
Volvo wanted around £300 for the lock when we asked . They are/wer available on ebay for around £110

Previous Volvos 740 GLE . V40 CD ,V70 2.4 SE LPT.V70 D5 P2. V70 D5 Se Lux P3. Current Jaguar XF Sportbrake but still like Volvos
Model flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Model flyer For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 19th, 2020, 17:36   #4
MCFastybloke

In the interim,normal service seems to have resumed.

If the lock motors are weak then would the button on the top of the door card rise and fall?
Old Nov 19th, 2020, 21:43   #5
ShadeTek
Premier Member

Some info for you from Volvo Sweden.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

V70 SE NAV 1.6 D2 2015MY POWERSHIFT, D4162T, 86000miles, RED.
/VOL FCR/PEPER OBD2/Acron 9135 OBD2/L.E.D Flasher/VDASH/ANCEL BA301
ShadeTek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ShadeTek For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 20th, 2020, 07:01   #6
MCFastybloke

Where to get those modules?

Found them.

Last edited by MCFastybloke; Nov 20th, 2020 at 07:56.
Old Nov 21st, 2020, 17:02   #7
Model flyer
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCFastybloke View Post
In the interim,normal service seems to have resumed.

If the lock motors are weak then would the button on the top of the door card rise and fall?
That's how it starts . One day they work and might be ok for a week or so then they wont work again .

The button wont work correctly it might only rise half way as its moved by the action of the motor

On My sons car we tried opening and closing the locks loads of times to try and free it up . Eventually a small puff of smoke came out of the door . At first we thought it had shorted but it was the oily grease on the motor commutators that was smoking.

Previous Volvos 740 GLE . V40 CD ,V70 2.4 SE LPT.V70 D5 P2. V70 D5 Se Lux P3. Current Jaguar XF Sportbrake but still like Volvos
Model flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Model flyer For This Useful Post: