Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

P1800 Headlamp wiper -Help please

Views : 1639

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 19th, 2012, 21:53   #1
smedith

Default P1800 Headlamp wiper -Help please

Hi All

I am new to this forum, so please excuse me if I ask a daft question.

I am looking for information about the rotating headlamp wipers fitted to some P1800s.

I have seen a picture of them on a car at this web site

Does any one have any details of these? May be a section from a Volvo manual or parts book? How do they operate? are they direct motors or driven by a cable system?

If any one has a complete set, NOS, used, broken or parts I would be very interested. Or even some pointers on were to look for a set.

I am not sure, but they may have been an option or fitted in just one country. They may also have been fitted to other Volvos.

As I said, any and all help is most welcome.

Thanks in advance for reading and any and all help

regards

Neil
smedith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2012, 21:58   #2
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

welcome to the forum neil

never have i seen them fitted to any 1800 or amazon im guessing its a aftermarket or from another vendor which has been fitted to that car in pic funny looking i think but members here have a lot of knowledge you may be right and it was fitted in one country so will watch this thread in the hope i learn something new come on folks someone is going to surprise us here im sure derek i bet thats you hehe

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !
123GT-AMAZON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2012, 22:03   #3
smedith

Thanks for the very fast response. I found the picture on this site
http://www.volvotips.com/index.php/g.../volvo-museum/
Which is apparently the Volvo museum.
I would like to say thanks to the person that took the pictures and I hope they dont mind me posting the link

Neil
Old Dec 19th, 2012, 22:42   #4
940_Turbo

They came as a kit, headlights with the stud bonded to them, the drive motor and the 2 cables, there was a bag for washer fluid and a washer pump and a load of wiring. Every now and then you do see a kit appear.

They can be fitted to 140, 120 and 1800.

Someone on here did have a kit, but they lacked the headlights and without the bonded stud the kit would need some engineering to make it functional.
940_Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 940_Turbo For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 19th, 2012, 22:48   #5
smedith

Hi

Thanks for the very useful information.

If anyone knows who had the set for possible sale, with or with out the headlamps I would be very grateful if you can point me to them.

Thanks again

Neil
Old Dec 20th, 2012, 23:23   #6
tdz840
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smedith View Post
Thanks for the very fast response. I found the picture on this site
http://www.volvotips.com/index.php/g.../volvo-museum/
Which is apparently the Volvo museum.
I would like to say thanks to the person that took the pictures and I hope they dont mind me posting the link

Neil
I think it was me that took the pic late last year when I was in Gothenburg with work.
I spent some tme looking at the mechanism , it had a drive similar to a speedo cable which I presume went back to the drive motor Peter mentioned.
It looked kinda neat which in practise wouldnt be used a lot
Russ
tdz840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2012, 09:25   #7
smedith

Hi

Thanks for the post. I am very happy that you took such a good picture. I hope you don't mind me using it.

If you have any idea who may have a set that they might sell I would be very grateful if you could put me in touch

Thanks again

Neil
Old Jan 2nd, 2013, 21:23   #8
smedith

Hi

I am still looking for any and all help in locating either a set of cable driven wipers, parts, manuals. Well, anything would help.

Thanks

Neil
Old Jan 2nd, 2013, 21:32   #9
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by smedith View Post
Hi

I am still looking for any and all help in locating either a set of cable driven wipers, parts, manuals. Well, anything would help.

Thanks

Neil
if you have not heard anything by the time the enfield pagent comes round then i would try there its normaly around april time i belive as its a very good source to get these kind of parts from hope thats of help

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !
123GT-AMAZON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2013, 22:49   #10
Wulff

Hi Neil,

welcome to the forum and Happy New Year.

I recognice these from a pair which my dad had laying around in the early 80'ies which he had intended to fit to his 544. We also had a 144 GL -74 which had original wipers fitted and as far as I know those that you show above were an option on the 164 and 140 series prior to '74 when a more integrated solution was available.

n.b. this is based on Denmark/Scandinavia in the early days where headlamp washers/wipers became a regulatory requirement if I remember correctly.

I have never seen any of these since then but would suggest you try to frequent www.tradera.com which is a Swedish equivalent to ebay (hope you can manage a bit of our Scandihooligan.. ;-) )

http://www.tradera.com/amazon-c3_302...modeOverride=1

John
Wulff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wulff For This Useful Post: