Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General > 140/164 Series Wants

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Inlet manifolds

Views : 1830

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 14th, 2019, 19:52   #1
DWeed144

Default Inlet manifolds

Does anyone have either of the following types of inlet manifolds available?
I'm trying to clear a non standard separate exhaust manifold and it's proving tricky!
Missed these ones on ebay... £20 each!
Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Inlet_Typ1.jpg (254.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Inlet_Typ2.jpg (263.5 KB, 5 views)
DWeed144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2019, 22:51   #2
Derek UK
VOC Member

I think both of those are Penta boat engine manifolds, the first one certainly is. The exhaust manifold is water cooled with those. Unless your exhaust manifold is a bit peculiar , I assume it is made for B18/20, the normal alloy early twin inlet manifold should fit without problems.
Can you post a pic of the exhaust you have?
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2019, 23:16   #3
DWeed144

I thought I didn't recognise them, and which might work as they would potentially be designed to clear a bigger water cooled exhaust manifold.
I'll take a pic when I have a chance. It's a 4-2-1 manifold from KG Trimning.
I'm planning on rigging up a shorrock supercharger to a custom inlet, but until then I'm stuck with a butchered inlet running my twin strombergs...
Old Oct 15th, 2019, 11:01   #4
john h
VOC Member

Brookhouse sell a new manifold:

https://www.classicvolvoparts.co.uk/...burettors_Twin

Could you post photos of your exhaust manifold please? I'm thinking of getting one for my 165. I'd like to see how much clearance there is for steering column/box with RHD.

Also interested to hear more about your supercharger plans

Cheers

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2019, 14:34   #5
Derek UK
VOC Member

The KG exhaust manifold should be compatible with the linked alloy inlet but sometimes the exhaust needs a slight buzz with a grinder to give a bit of wriggle room. The inlet and the exhaust shouldn't really be touching anywhere at the head joint as the exhaust will expand a bit. That's also why you don't have a very high torque on the manifold studs so that it can shuffle just a wee bit.
Old Oct 16th, 2019, 15:04   #6
DWeed144

For now I actually just cut my 'butterfly' type inlet (the one with the internal butterfly valves - which I have also removed) into two halves and sealed up the holes. Having no mix/balance connection required some extra tuning of the carbs to get it to run ok.
Really what I want is a suitable single inlet when I think about it more - as that is what the supercharger needs. I'd only be fitting the brookhouse one until I switched to the supercharger. Which may well never happen of course... But I don't have unlimited funds and although that would be very helpful it's not moving me in the right direction. (I realise I was asking for one in my first post so thanks for the link, John!)

I've got lots to do though, such as moving the brake booster over to the drivers side with a modified extension so that there's free space on the other side for the supercharger. It's a shorrock C142b so it's the size (and weight) of a washing machine.
Old Oct 16th, 2019, 22:48   #7
Derek UK
VOC Member

Smile

I agree that the manifold with the emission butterflies is only fit for the scrap bin but you do need the balance pipe. If it was still whole you could have just knocked them out and plugged the holes leaving the balance pipe intact. At this time it's best to go for the alloy inlet, someone might have one available for less than the new Brookhouse ones. It would be possible to make a "log" tubular inlet that bridges the two inlets for you feed from the supercharger. Superchargers and RHD aren't good together. The Shorrocks has quite a bit of value for old MG's etc so you might like to consider a Volumex type from a Lancia. It's a better shape for this install and it's more efficient. You can also get parts for it. Current Minis and some Mercedes might also be worth looking at. There is someone who makes nice set-ups with these using SU's for probably not much more than you could sell the Shorrocks for.
Check Google images for "volumex superchargers with SU carburettors"
Old Oct 21st, 2019, 22:26   #8
DWeed144

I had to cut the inlet to be able to remount the two carbs over the KG exhaust manifold. I thought about adding a balance pipe back but it is just a temporary fix, and once I did a bit of careful tuning it runs fine.
I hadn't heard of the volumex units, they look great, but I am set on my course. For better or worse I'm going to carry on slowly relocating half the components in the engine bay...
I've just picked up another 144 so now i've got getting that up and running as another distraction to slow me down even more.
Old Oct 31st, 2019, 21:11   #9
morwenna240

All that fuss. . . . just put an L45 V8 in an have done!
morwenna240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2019, 19:59   #10
AndrewBrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWeed144 View Post
I thought I didn't recognise them, and which might work as they would potentially be designed to clear a bigger water cooled exhaust manifold.
I'll take a pic when I have a chance. It's a 4-2-1 manifold from KG Trimning.
I'm planning on rigging up a shorrock supercharger to a custom inlet, but until then I'm stuck with a butchered inlet running my twin strombergs...
you want a small efficient supercharger search ebay for rotrex supercharger

you dont see many around probablly because of the price but they are brilliant like a turbo with a pulley, and its own engine independent oil supply and cooling not cheap but very good

made in Denmark so nearly Swedish ...almost

www.rotrex.com if you want to see them

Last edited by AndrewBrown; Nov 29th, 2019 at 20:06.
AndrewBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndrewBrown For This Useful Post: