Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2000 V70 2.5D MAF Problems

Views : 1220

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 29th, 2015, 19:18   #1
Richard_TD
Master Member

Default 2000 V70 2.5D MAF Problems

Our recently acquired V70 TDi isn't boosting properly, and wasn't when we got it. It's a late model with the MSA 15.8 system. I thought the waste gate being held on with jubilee clips and wire might have been the root cause but there was no change when I fitted another turbo.

A VIDA-DICE scan showed two codes, before and after the new turbo was fitted- ECM-000B Mass air flow (MAF) sensor - Signal too low and ECM-001D Turbocharger (TC) control valve - Signal too low. I believe a previous owner fitted a new MAF sensor, so I'm ruling that out for the moment.

I've checked the voltages at the MAF plug and got

1. +5.02V
2. close to 0V
3. 0V
4. +5.01V
5. 0V

Some Googling suggests that Pin 2 should have +12V. Is that correct, and if it is where should I be looking? The wire just disappears into a harness but I don't know where it goes. Is there a fuse anywhere? Would it be ok to connect it to another 12V supply?

For the moment I'm not looking at the TC Control valve, I've a feeling it will start getting the right signals once the MAF is working.
Richard_TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2015, 19:33   #2
cheshired5
Premier Member

You can view MAF response on vida and it should rise and fall with revs.
There are also multimeter back probing tests you can do to look for voltage changes whilst revving.
If the previous owner fitted a cheap non genuine MAF, it could well be the problem despite it being new.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 29th, 2015, 20:48   #3
Richard_TD
Master Member

The MAF value stays constant on VIDA, which I believe is the default value when there isn't a signal. Even unplugging the sensor doesn't make it change.

Since I posted the above I've managed to find the bit on VIDA that tells me Pin 2 should indeed have battery voltage so the next move has to be to get that working I think. I'm tempted to temporarily connect it directly to the battery to see what happens.
Old Mar 29th, 2015, 21:58   #4
Richard_TD
Master Member

Update- the MAF worked when I hotwired it and its code stayed cleared. I'd still like to find out where the other end of the supply wire is though, so I can fix it properly.
The Following User Says Thank You to Richard_TD For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 6th, 2015, 19:09   #5
brickman
Premier Member

Genuine Bosch maf for your 15.8 model are less than £50, but sounds like the harness has a break in it, hence not getting power to it. If you can't find the break I don't see the harm in splicing power from elsewhere in? There might be a reason its not possible but I can't think of any just at the minute, just remember there is 12v and 5v
Old Apr 7th, 2015, 13:59   #6
Richard_TD
Master Member

I've taken 12V from another source for now and it's working ok. I've worked out what route it takes now so I'll be running a new cable soon.

The TC valve also had a broken wire and I've run one over the top of the engine temporarily, which has cured it. Again I'll be running a new wire through the trunking.
Old Feb 7th, 2020, 09:21   #7
rosssi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_TD View Post
Our recently acquired V70 TDi isn't boosting properly, and wasn't when we got it. It's a late model with the MSA 15.8 system. I thought the waste gate being held on with jubilee clips and wire might have been the root cause but there was no change when I fitted another turbo.

A VIDA-DICE scan showed two codes, before and after the new turbo was fitted- ECM-000B Mass air flow (MAF) sensor - Signal too low and ECM-001D Turbocharger (TC) control valve - Signal too low. I believe a previous owner fitted a new MAF sensor, so I'm ruling that out for the moment.

I've checked the voltages at the MAF plug and got

1. +5.02V
2. close to 0V
3. 0V
4. +5.01V
5. 0V

Some Googling suggests that Pin 2 should have +12V. Is that correct, and if it is where should I be looking? The wire just disappears into a harness but I don't know where it goes. Is there a fuse anywhere? Would it be ok to connect it to another 12V supply?

For the moment I'm not looking at the TC Control valve, I've a feeling it will start getting the right signals once the MAF is working.

Hi,

You resolve this problem connect 12 V to pin 2? I have the same problem, my Volvo 2,5 TDI model year 2000 have problem with MAF and if I check voltage at connector have the same as you
1. +5.02V
2. close to 0V
3. 0V
4. +5.01V
5. 0V

You connect 12 V to pin 2 and after this, all working? Thank you for your reply.

R.

Last edited by rosssi; Feb 7th, 2020 at 09:43.
rosssi is offline   Reply With Quote