Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Noise on releasing gas pedal after changing alternator

Views : 482

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 12th, 2020, 11:50   #1
forderit

Default Noise on releasing gas pedal after changing alternator

I recently changed alternator, alternator belt and AC belt, now the engine makes an unusual noise upon releasing the gas pedal while driving. I filmed this video with one foot on pedal and another on gas to demonstrate the noise, I can’t wait yo know what is wrong: Watch video on youtube
Update: Took the car back to same garage, they assumed one of the interlocutor pipes may be faulty, so they changed it, the noise persists and can be heard on releasing the gas pedal and sometimes noise when going on a bump, it sounds like a screw that was left loose or friction. Any ideas appreciated.
forderit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2020, 13:23   #2
huron
Master Member

Just looking at the video your top engine mount is gone. It shouldn't move around like that.
Old Feb 12th, 2020, 15:46   #3
37 RUBY
Master Member

Diagnosis from a distance always fraught with danger....but to me that sounds like the alternator pulley clutch.

Did the new alternator come with new pulley or was your old one transferred?

Why did you change the alternator?
37 RUBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2020, 16:43   #4
abdiel
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huron View Post
Just looking at the video your top engine mount is gone. It shouldn't move around like that.

Yep, as Huron says your top engine mount is totally U/S. Get it replaced ASAP.
abdiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2020, 18:31   #5
scbamber

You need to change your garage too! Fancy missing that top mount
scbamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2020, 19:29   #6
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

First suggestion i'd make is remew that top mount, it sounds as if the exhaust has a minor split in the flexi that may or may not be leaking gas but because the engine is moving around like a frog on a hot plate, it's likely to get worse.
Change the mout and see what happens, also investigate your downpipe/flexi section of exhaust.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2020, 23:25   #7
37 RUBY
Master Member

I respectfully disagree with the train of thought that the engine mount is causing a pipe to expand/stretch then leak.

I have listened back to the video. It really does sound like a dry bearing. If the aux belt tensioner pulley or alternator pulley is seizing I would expect to see marks on the belt face and grooved side as the belt is forced to skid round.
If so it needs attending to asap. You don't want a pulley seizing up then destroying the new belt, bits of which could get under the cam belt and destroy the engine.

I know you've had new belts but what about the tensioner pulley and alternator pulley?

Alternatively, is that worn engine mount causing a pulley to catch on something. If so there should be witness marks on one of the pulleys.

...and yes get that mount sorted so you can rule it out. You could always cut some wood to place as temporary stops into the mount to limit its movement then perform the same test.

Let us know how you get on.

Last edited by 37 RUBY; Feb 12th, 2020 at 23:32. Reason: Spelling
The Following User Says Thank You to 37 RUBY For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 12th, 2020, 23:48   #8
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

That's fine, i have however seen an exhaust break slightly due to a worn/broekn engine mount such as that and create similar noise. Let's face it, as someone else pointed out further up, remtoote diagnosis is more or less a guessing game.

Just putting my idea forward as it sounds very much like what i heard before (except that was a 90 deg V6 with a similar "dog-bone" engine mount, more of a movement damper really, gone) and had broken the flexi on one side (the bottom of it) so it was opening up when the engine revved or was under load and rejoining when idle/cruising.

I can see why you say it sounds like a dry bearing or unintentional pulley contact due to rocking, similar thoughts crossed my mind but i went for what i thought was the most likely scenario.

Bear in mind, the OP may not have been quite so "rigorous" with his testing as the garage was and the garage possibly finished the crack in the exhaust with their testing of the alternator, especially as the noise seems to have appeared since they worked on it.

Who knows, we might both be right and we could both be wrong!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Feb 13th, 2020, 12:00   #9
37 RUBY
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Let's face it, as someone else pointed out further up, remtoote diagnosis is more or less a guessing game.
Yeah that was me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Who knows, we might both be right and we could both be wrong!
We need to work on our worldwide beer token stash...the last ones you and me earned were in Norway. This time we might earn some Adnams of Suffolk beer
tokens.
The Following User Says Thank You to 37 RUBY For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 13th, 2020, 12:35   #10
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 RUBY View Post
Yeah that was me

We need to work on our worldwide beer token stash...the last ones you and me earned were in Norway. This time we might earn some Adnams of Suffolk beer
tokens.
More like Fullers London Pride looking at the OPs location!
Long time since i had a few pints of Abbott, lovely drop of stuff!