Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

VEA engine 'intake valve stem check' during service?

Views : 3081

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 14th, 2020, 09:10   #11
marsdalebear
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacV50 View Post
And why only intake and not exhaust?
Because it is the intake manifold that melts when hot combustion gases escape via the sticking inlet valves.
The exhaust manifold is metal and is designed to handle the hot gases released by the exhaust valves.
Simple really.
marsdalebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2020, 09:21   #12
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
I think you need to get over it! Mistakes happen and your dealer has given you the correct info that was on VIDA

Do you understand what it would take to check all intake valve stems? And why only intake and not exhaust?

I would suggest doing this work night actually increase the chance of problems as so much disassembly would be required to get to the valves
The issue has nothing to do with VIDA, it's to do with Volvo UK advertising service items that don't get done... particularly annoying when the activity which didn't get done is the reason I used a Volvo dealership to undertake what was otherwise a fairly basic service! You have a strange view of commerce... do you also think that if I'd made a mistake when paying then the dealership should have simply 'got over it'?

As described earlier, it's the intake valves that become sooted-up by the relatively high EGR flow on these early VEA diesels. This then results in the valves failing to properly close and so explosively 'spit back' combustion products into the (plastic) intake manifold which - as outlined in the recent high-profile safety recall - can cause the manifold to deform or even catch fire. Presumably the exhaust valves do also attract a soot build-up, but this would obviously tend to get burnt off by the much hotter flow.

I did not imagine significant disassembly work. I imagined the use of an endoscope.
Old Feb 14th, 2020, 15:43   #13
Bendolfc
Premier Member

Sounds like you paid for a service, had the service as expected it is just the info on the Volvo website was wrong.

That hasn't affected the service you had or what you paid, I'd bite their hands off for that £100 voucher as I'm surprised they have even offered it to you.

If the dealer claimed to have done it and itemised it on the invoice that would be different but that hasn't happened here?
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2020, 16:03   #14
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendolfc View Post
Sounds like you paid for a service, had the service as expected it is just the info on the Volvo website was wrong.

That hasn't affected the service you had or what you paid, I'd bite their hands off for that £100 voucher as I'm surprised they have even offered it to you.

If the dealer claimed to have done it and itemised it on the invoice that would be different but that hasn't happened here?
I really don't believe you'd be happy if you paid for something and then later discovered that the advertised items had not all been included. I doubt you'd be so dismissive if the website had promised, say, a cambelt change and then it wasn't done because of a disconnect between Volvo UK and the dealership... you'd probably be quite angry! And, as said, I only decided to have the service performed at a Volvo dealer because the advertised items included the valve stem check (see the discussion in the linked thread in post #1).

I am sympathetic to the dealer, as clearly the misleading information was on the Volvo UK website and not something that was promised by the dealer.

What I was really looking for was anyone who's actually had intake valve stem check performed and knows how this was done, please?
Old Feb 14th, 2020, 18:26   #15
MacV50
Master Member

Ok, so the issue sounds like our could be serious. I'm not familiar enough with the issues around those engines.

However I'd still stand by my view that it's a significant job to do properly. I don't think an endoscope would be good enough.

Regardless, if it's not actually a service item and the website was wrong, then you got the correct service that you paid for and Volvo have offered to compensate you probably more than the difference between an independent and main dealer prices. It's also worth remembering that what you get from an independent never matches a main dealer as they don't have access to the updates and you get Volvo assistance for a year included in the price.

I'd be curious if their website have a disclaimer advising you to check details with your dealer
MacV50 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MacV50 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 14th, 2020, 18:40   #16
Dash300
High Grand Master Member

Quote:
Ok, so the issue sounds like our could be serious. I'm not familiar enough with the issues around those engines.

However I'd still stand by my view that it's a significant job to do properly. I don't think an endoscope would be good enough.

Regardless, if it's not actually a service item and the website was wrong, then you got the correct service that you paid for and Volvo have offered to compensate you probably more than the difference between an independent and main dealer prices. It's also worth remembering that what you get from an independent never matches a main dealer as they don't have access to the updates and you get Volvo assistance for a year included in the price.

I'd be curious if their website have a disclaimer advising you to check details with your dealer
After my 5 year service plan ended I did wince at the service cost but as you say the updates and in particular the Volvo UK and EU assistance for me mitigated the cost. Everything else is done by an independent if I am not able. My show cars on the other hand only deal with me!

Maybe the Hokey Cokey is what it's all about!
Dash300 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dash300 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 14th, 2020, 19:23   #17
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:

It probably is a significant job and not a normal service item but - because of the well-established soot problems with these VEA diesels - perhaps it wouldn't be unreasonable for Volvo to take an extra measure for the benefit of owners, as a reaction to having produced an engine that required a formal safety recall due to the risk of fire?

I take your point about software updates and Volvo Assist, however the required service was 'merely' an oil change plus filters. So £420 is a fair whack for something I could have done myself for maybe a third of that... I have spouse AutoAid cover anyway for our other car and the significant software updates were covered by the recall.

There was no website disclaimer.

Last edited by Zebster; Feb 14th, 2020 at 19:26.
Zebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2020, 16:27   #18
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Has anyone required a manifold removal as a result of the recent VEA safety recall and can explain in any sort of detail how the intake valves were (leak) checked?
Old Jun 15th, 2020, 21:22   #19
ayrix

Default leaking intake valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
Has anyone required a manifold removal as a result of the recent VEA safety recall and can explain in any sort of detail how the intake valves were (leak) checked?
Hi guys, first of all, sorry for my english since I'm a user from germany.

I just would like to describe the situation I am in right now.

Two weeks ago I also went to the Volvo dealer to perform the recall R29950 in order to change the ECM Software which should reduce the soot coming from the EGR to not make carbon deposit build on the intake valves. In this case the intake valves would not close properly and the combusted mixture could be blown back to the intake manifold which could melt or deform the intake manifold.

Once the service was done and the new software was flashed, I took my car and went back home. Next time I sat in the car, the engine light turned on and the injection in the 2nd cylinder was cut. Engine was not running round anymore.

So I went back to the car dealer and he checked the engine. After a while he came back and told me that they got to remove the cylinder head to clean the intake valves and and the seats since they are leaking.
So I asked him how he does know that they are leaking after 10min checking the engine without doing a compression or leak down check. Then he told me that they did a electrical compression test to check if the intake valves are leaking. I asked him if he knows how that works because I only know about compression checks which can tell you that there is compression issue in generall without telling you if the intake valve, exhaust valve, glow plugs, injectors or the pistons are leaking.
His answer was that he also doesn't know how that works.

I took my keys and went to another car dealer to to seek a second oppinion.
The other car dealer made the same diagnostic and told me that this is actually Volvo's fault since the original (previous) ECM-Software was producing too much soot which built carbon deposits on your intake valves why I have a leak on that cylinders now.
He told me that the new software should avoid the carbon deposit creation but I was too late already.

After I asked why the older software did not recognize that, he told me that in the new ECM software it's implemented a new diagnostic function what makes possible to detect leakage in the intake valves.

Now I contacted Volvo Costumer service and waiting for an answer how we will proceed now. The car has only 30.000km and has already this issue - unfortunately no warranty anymore but let's see what Volvo will say.

What do you think guys? Who should pay the repair? does anyone has similar issues?
ayrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2020, 08:45   #20
rxtian

Hi Ayrix

I think the dealer is right - the new software specifically detects leaking valves and shuts down that cylinder to prevent hot gasses getting into the intake manifold and causing a fire. Your car was limping on undetected, and the new software found the problem.

You are certainly not alone, as it is an extension of this problem: https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=221555

I would expect Volvo to make a significant contribution - especially as this issue is directly subject to a recall.

I believe the electrical compression test measures the current required by the starter motor as the engine turns, less current = less compression.

Good luck getting this sorted, please let us know what happens.
rxtian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rxtian For This Useful Post: