Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 High backed booster seat

Views : 2805

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 13th, 2020, 09:36   #11
redbuta

I've also taken a photo to showcase the "largest gap" scenario between a Maxi Cosi Kore and the 2nd row seat back.

The seat is at the most upright position, the Kore is adjusted to its maximum height (for 12 yr old I guess?).

It feels very steady and properly supported, but youngsters will be sitting very upright!

They can see more of the road & traffic ahead (my kids love this) but the trade-off is poor sleeping comfort. It's better let the kids decide...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbuta View Post
You are welcome.

Just to clarify:

For Maxi Cosi Kore, you do NOT need to recline the seat. It will STILL FIT.

However, you will end up having a slightly bigger gap.

It still feels very secure.

However, you may (or may not) have a little dent in the Nappa Leather of the headrest in the long term.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Kore full height upright.jpeg (156.7 KB, 78 views)
Old Feb 13th, 2020, 13:56   #12
steladamo

Thank you so much. It is very clear that seat will be much on the upright position and probably not comfortable for long trips. On the other hand though if this is for when they turn 12, I truly believe that by this age they will be strapping themselves into the car's seat maybe with a small booster at the bottom.

These Maxi Cosi Kore seat are really the best in the market and the appear to be the thinnest so one have a third person in the middle row.
Old Feb 14th, 2020, 16:10   #13
Sts121

My issue with it all isn’t so much how the secure the seat fits.

My concern was what happens in a crash? I know nothing of these things but I assume those booster seat manufacturers wanted their seats flat against the car seat for a reason.

If you crash and the weight of the occupant is flung forwards, what happens once the weight of the person is then going rear wards of the seat isn’t fully supported? Will it hurt the child? Will the booster seat back snap of flex in a manner which could cause injury?
Sts121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2020, 16:24   #14
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sts121 View Post
Hi guys,

Had my XC90 since November and am struggling with the car seat situation for my 6 year old.

I currently have maxi cosi rodi which maxi cosi days fits but head rests may need to be taken out. This is what I did with my Audi’s. only the head rests don’t come out on the Volvo.

When in position the head rest on the car holds the back of the booster seat off by quite a way so it isn’t sat flush up against the seat. As these booster seats extend with age the problem will get worse as he gets older.

I don’t have the Volvo convertible booster cushion thing on mine nor do I want to fit the seat in the middle (fits ok) due to him then being sat next to the other child. (They bicker constantly).

What are you guys using? I have come to the conclusion high back boosters will always be held off by the headrest, to me they don’t look safe but then I’m no expert. I’ve watched the video on the Volvo website and their booster seat also looks poor too, when the booster seat is extended the gap is awful between the booster and the car seat.

For a brand big on safety, I’m a bit perplexed!
is the child too big for the built in child's seat in the centre of the middle row of seats?
Old Feb 14th, 2020, 20:08   #15
redbuta

Deformation and elastic instabilities on soft materials can absorb energy and could be a good thing.

Prof. Lotta Jacobson could help answer some of the questions.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jCwBp0zL0s8

Seems the car seat in this video has a bigger gap than mine...

Quote:

My concern was what happens in a crash? I know nothing of these things but I assume those booster seat manufacturers wanted their seats flat against the car seat for a reason.

If you crash and the weight of the occupant is flung forwards, what happens once the weight of the person is then going rear wards of the seat isn’t fully supported? Will it hurt the child? Will the booster seat back snap of flex in a manner which could cause injury?
Old Feb 14th, 2020, 20:15   #16
redbuta

That middle seat is wider than many competitors, at the cost of narrower side seats.

But why no isofix like 5008 (fake) suv!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
is the child too big for the built in child's seat in the centre of the middle row of seats?
Old Feb 14th, 2020, 21:16   #17
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:

It is reassuring to know that all volvo car child seats are crash tested ...