Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Brake judder - corroded discs?

Views : 2148

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 31st, 2020, 12:07   #11
Director76
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
if they thought much of you they would pay up and if the warranty claim was not passed they would soak up the small cost to themselves
Get real - no such thing as valued customers these days (except perhaps a stupid few that pay list price). All dealer are one click away from losing customers to someone cheaper on the internet. Every transaction must stand up, on its own feet and service is different P&L from sales.

Back in theme...I recently needed new rear pads and discs on a two year old 20,000 mile Tiguan due to pitting and bad surface corrosion. Vehicle does regular miles but mostly motorway so I think that has contributed...oh and the cheap quality OEM discs
Director76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2020, 12:09   #12
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Director76 View Post
Get real - no such thing as valued customers these days (except perhaps a stupid few that pay list price). All dealer are one click away from losing customers to someone cheaper on the internet. Every transaction must stand up, on its own feet and service is different P&L from sales.

Back in theme...I recently needed new rear pads and discs on a two year old 20,000 mile Tiguan due to pitting and bad surface corrosion. Vehicle does regular miles but mostly motorway so I think that has contributed...oh and the cheap quality OEM discs
I'm very real and assure you this can happen as long as you aren't a grumpy complaining customer :-)
Old Feb 1st, 2020, 09:42   #13
Fursty Ferret

Nice to be publicly accused of being a “grumpy complaining customer”.
Fursty Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2020, 09:50   #14
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fursty Ferret View Post
Nice to be publicly accused of being a “grumpy complaining customer”.
That's not the case at all .. there is no accusation against you in my statement , its a general term 👍
Old Feb 1st, 2020, 19:42   #15
warwick

I`ve got the impression that the discs on our Volvo XC60 develop rust more quickly than our previous Mercedes after washing wheels or rain. However as an owner of three motorhomes over the space of twelve years all of which spent the best part of the winter standing on a drive they never developed any issues from rusty discs.
warwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2020, 21:28   #16
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warwick View Post
I`ve got the impression that the discs on our Volvo XC60 develop rust more quickly than our previous Mercedes after washing wheels or rain. However as an owner of three motorhomes over the space of twelve years all of which spent the best part of the winter standing on a drive they never developed any issues from rusty discs.
you are right , brake discs never suffered from rust in the 70's 80's or 90's it started about 15 years ago . In the 90's we were exporting huge amounts of scap metal to china on ships , I reckon it all came back in the form of brake discs and there was no chromium elements in it to save costs . A brake disk now will get red rust on it in 20 minutes if put out in the rain .. That could be acid rain though , who knows 🙄
Old Feb 1st, 2020, 22:29   #17
Chief inspector
Master Member

A friend used to work at AP Racing, metal discs have always been made from grey iron, the corrosion now is apparently the high ferrous content in modern pads, these get into the crystalline structure of the iron and rust it.

Its this same process Clan is talking about when the pads stick to the disc and corrode it it wet conditions, and at higher temps when the resin lets from the pads and gets stuck to the discs, going the ‘warped disc’ effect.

You can machine these off, or replace the discs.

Thats what I think he said anyway!

On the acid wheel cleaner taking the plating off the callipers, the only place that does this to my car is my local Volvo dealer! Callipers were shiny before service one, dull afterwards, after visit 2, now looking rough. Land Rover have done the same to our RR
Old Feb 15th, 2020, 09:22   #18
Fursty Ferret

Quick update: apparently it took some pushing against Volvo UK by the dealer but all to be covered under warranty.

I know other people have had issues with Stoneacre (and I can’t speak for the sales side since I’ve not interacted with it) but from a service point of view they’ve always been efficient, knowledgeable, and helpful at the Harrogate branch - particularly Mike on the desk.

I’m petty enough to let small issues cloud my judgement on buying my next car, so Volvo stays on the list. 🙂

Last edited by Fursty Ferret; Feb 15th, 2020 at 09:25.
Fursty Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2020, 22:16   #19
Giles1234

Glad you got it sorted. I’ve got the same. It’s been in twice for it, different garages but both said the discs were not warped and the pads were fine. The judder was really bad but it did improve after some serious brake usage around the alps. Now it is only really noticeable if I brake hard from say 80 to 50. Still winds me up though. I would love to get it sorted but kinda given up on it.