Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C30 - leaking windscreen.

Views : 2402

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 15th, 2020, 23:37   #1
S8ORX

Default C30 - leaking windscreen.

Hi, all. Hope everyone is having a great Storm Dennis(!)

I've just been driving, and noticed that I've got a few streaks coming down the windscreen, just on the driver's side. Now, I'm not the brightest spark - but, I reckon that's a leaking windscreen seal. I've had a quick look, and it seems to be quite a common Volvo thing - but, I've only been in the Volvo cohort for about two weeks - so, this is all new to me (loving the car otherwise, by the way). Does anyone have any experience with this? If so - is it an easy/cheap fix?

Thanks very much for any advice.
S8ORX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to S8ORX For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 16th, 2020, 07:55   #2
Peter86
Pete

You will need it resealing. See if your insurance windscreen cover will cover the cost if not I've heard it's around £70 mark. Only thing is they may break the window removing it to reseal it properly so see if that would be covered on your insurance.

2011 V70 D5 [215] Rdesign - currently owned.

Peter86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2020, 09:39   #3
Ovlovppz

My V70 screen leaked from the top and Volvo repaired it free of charge.
Give your local dealer a call 😉

Last edited by Ovlovppz; Feb 16th, 2020 at 09:41.
Ovlovppz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2020, 10:23   #4
Dastardly Diesel

It's not a seal, the screen is bonded in place. You're options are to try and locate the leak and inject some PU sealant - don't use silicone sealant, as it excretes H2O and acetic acid as it cures and this is very damaging to the surrounding metalwork - or mysteriously develop a crack and get a new screen off your insurance.

Last edited by Dastardly Diesel; Feb 16th, 2020 at 10:34.
Dastardly Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2020, 10:38   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8ORX View Post
Hi, all. Hope everyone is having a great Storm Dennis(!)

I've just been driving, and noticed that I've got a few streaks coming down the windscreen, just on the driver's side. Now, I'm not the brightest spark - but, I reckon that's a leaking windscreen seal. I've had a quick look, and it seems to be quite a common Volvo thing - but, I've only been in the Volvo cohort for about two weeks - so, this is all new to me (loving the car otherwise, by the way). Does anyone have any experience with this? If so - is it an easy/cheap fix?

Thanks very much for any advice.
it has probably been refitted poorly , C30 windscreens never leak normally
Old Feb 16th, 2020, 11:09   #6
S8ORX

Thanks for all the replies, folks - very helpful information. On the drive to work this morning, there was no rain on the inside at all - strange, considering the absolute battering we had last night. I think I'll give Volvo a call first, and see what they say; then, I'll ask my insurance if I'm covered. If those don't work, I'll see if I can put some non-silicone-based sealant in there.

Thanks, again!
S8ORX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2020, 11:12   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8ORX View Post
Thanks for all the replies, folks - very helpful information. On the drive to work this morning, there was no rain on the inside at all - strange, considering the absolute battering we had last night. I think I'll give Volvo a call first, and see what they say; then, I'll ask my insurance if I'm covered. If those don't work, I'll see if I can put some non-silicone-based sealant in there.

Thanks, again!
Is the screen a volvo one ? It would have VOLVO on it somewhere if so . if not it would indicate it has been changed . You need it properly bonded all the way around for safety reasons ..
Old Apr 23rd, 2023, 10:08   #8
simboc2004
SimboC2004

My wife's 2013 C30 has developed the same fault. It's only 45,000 miles and the screen looks to be the original. is this a Volvo job, or an Autoglass one? Or, indeed, an insurance one?

Past: '90 944 2.0 turbo, '91 944 2.0, '92 945 2.0 turbo, '95 945 2.3 HPT, '09 C30 2.0D R Design 180bhp+, '13 C30 D2 Lux.

Last edited by simboc2004; Apr 23rd, 2023 at 11:31.
simboc2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2023, 19:25   #9
scrumper

My wife's 2013 C30 had the leaking windscreen back in 2020 and around 30,000 miles. Pretty common. We got it removed and refitted by Autoglass. There was quite a length disbonded. Cost £200 then. If the screen had broken while been taken out there would have been the additional cost of a new one. Been perfect since then, now about 45,000 miles.
scrumper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scrumper For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 25th, 2023, 23:00   #10
buick boy

Try Captain Tolleys creeping crack cure (available on ebay) or any chandlers or marina shop . It worked a treat on my V70 bonded screen and on leaking caravan windows . Always have some in the workshop , Good stuff , try it .
buick boy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to buick boy For This Useful Post: