Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New Guy with a 122S in Mexico... and with a few doubts

Views : 5436

Replies : 76

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 10th, 2019, 15:45   #11
c1800
Master Member

Hi Victor, welcome.
Do you have front discs and rear drum brakes? If so that is standard.
c1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2019, 20:57   #12
vmg

Thank you for the warm welcome, guys! It shows it is a great forum!

Yes, front discs and rear drums... and apparently the wrong type of wheels, slotted versus solid as in the trunk.

I managed to reduce the pics (I am computer illiterate!) and I should be able to attach some now:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4886.JPG (223.7 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4898.JPG (206.5 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4907.JPG (172.6 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4915.JPG (154.7 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4941.JPG (161.3 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4943.JPG (157.4 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4950.JPG (172.7 KB, 39 views)
vmg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vmg For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 10th, 2019, 21:48   #13
mocambique-amazone
Master Member

very nice car, congratulation!

The dashboard cover isn't original, replicas in good quality aren't very expensive.
The air filters look very dirty and used.
The rims on the car are original, they changed at that year if I remember right. In Europe they did have the slotted ones. Cars with front discs have the slotted ones, very shure.
The rim in the trunk isn't original. and the rims are silver, not body colour. Like on your car! The hubs are the right one too.
The front grill should have three vertical and 10 horizontal bars.
The Engine vent is the newer and (for envirement) better version.
The ballast resistor isn't original too

I should get my Amazon on the road again, (since 12 years of the road), regards, Kay
mocambique-amazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2019, 05:38   #14
vmg

I spoke to Andres today. Great guy, and we have a close friend in common. Small world!! Gracias, Andres!
Old Mar 11th, 2019, 05:41   #15
vmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocambique-amazone View Post
very nice car, congratulation!

The dashboard cover isn't original, replicas in good quality aren't very expensive.
The air filters look very dirty and used.
The rims on the car are original, they changed at that year if I remember right. In Europe they did have the slotted ones. Cars with front discs have the slotted ones, very shure.
The rim in the trunk isn't original. and the rims are silver, not body colour. Like on your car! The hubs are the right one too.
The front grill should have three vertical and 10 horizontal bars.
The Engine vent is the newer and (for envirement) better version.
The ballast resistor isn't original too

I should get my Amazon on the road again, (since 12 years of the road), regards, Kay
Thank you Kay!!

If cars with discs had slotted wheels, then they are probably original. Is that a fact? I am attaching a pic of my front discs. Anyhow, I guess that my spare should have the same type of rim so at least that one is probably incorrect... though Andres told me that his PV544 has the same setup, slotted wheels on the road and a solid wheel for the spare.

Yes, I need to work on the dashboard, get a new cover for it and clean and rechrome a few parts. Of course, also general maintenance, including the air cleaners.

Good luck on getting yours back on the road soon!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 19.02, 1964 Volvo 122S, vmg (1).JPG (157.7 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by vmg; Mar 11th, 2019 at 05:51.
Old Mar 11th, 2019, 06:02   #16
vmg

Time for my first parts request for used parts... my wish list. Is there anybody that might have any of the following parts for sale:

1. Coil and ignition switch assembly, 12 volts. (by the way, is it the same one as in the P1800?)

2. Complete tool kit with bag

3. Owner´s manual, warrantee or service booklet and Plastic pouch

Thanks!
Victor
Old Mar 11th, 2019, 11:05   #17
old fart
Master Member

Lovely looking car, that.
The spare is the correct wheel type, even with discs, and the grill is right for the year. They both changed for the '65 model.
The bumpers should have overriders though.
Cheers,Andy.
old fart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2019, 12:06   #18
csm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmg View Post
Time for my first parts request for used parts... my wish list. Is there anybody that might have any of the following parts for sale:

1. Coil and ignition switch assembly, 12 volts. (by the way, is it the same one as in the P1800?)

2. Complete tool kit with bag

3. Owner´s manual, warrantee or service booklet and Plastic pouch

Thanks!
Victor
Nice car, Victor.

Tool kits and owner's manual sets show up on eBay from time to time; another great source (back in the homeland) is

https://www.tradera.com/veteranbilar-c3_301912

Good luck in your quest to make this beautiful Amazon your own.

Cheers,

Chris
csm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2019, 14:44   #19
Derek UK
VOC Member

Looks a lovely car and a credit to its previous owners. Yes, there are some small changes from the original spec but I wouldn't change anything for the sake of it. It should have the solid wheels the same as the one in the boot and you could find some but the big extra expense would be for the hubcaps which are a different size so the current ones won't fit. The trim rings would be correct for the solid wheels. The grille is correct and you are lucky to have it. Boot lid light is correct and was changed for '64, a year before the general facelift. The seats have been reupholstered but very well done. The telltale is that the rear backrest has one more flute on each side than the original and all of the material should be the same. Cloth insert seats used an obvious cloth material.
As mentioned the dash cap has been recovered but it looks good and I'd keep it. I don't consider the repro new ones to be cheap. If what you have is split and wrecked by the sun that's a different matter, but you don't.
The radiator has been replaced as it is missing the tube on top for the radiator blind. The chain would have come out of the tube in the bulkhead just above the coil. Engine valve cover would have had the oil filler in the middle to clear the chain. Late valve cover or later engine? Washer bottle and pump missing but not unusual on SoCal cars but it looks as if you have the washer jets next to the wiper spindle? I think the original filters would have been attached by a single wingnut/ nut with the outer plate recessed. These modified to fit? Sponge filters not original and likely don't work very well. I would change these out to something more correct for better flow and protection.
Why do you want to change the coil? 1800 ones have a different mounting plate. 3 holes instead of 2 I think but no idea why.
Knowledgeable nerds, or those that think they are, will always nitpick over what is correct or not but unless you intend to compete at high levels in Concours events, enjoy what you have. Knowing what has been changed is always good ammunition when talking to fans of these cars. It's your car and you are just getting to know it. Enjoy it.
If you don't have overdrive I would put that at the top of the to-do list. Not cheap but very worthwhile if you intend to do road trips.
You will likely find this site useful http://www.volvoamazonpictures.se/
Also join Brickboard. Andreas is on there to. https://www.brickboard.com/RWD/index.htm?model=120-130
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2019, 14:57   #20
Alf ista
Premier Member

That's a lovely car! Best of luck with it.