Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > AWD Discussion

Notices

AWD Discussion A forum dedicated to the AWD systems fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Noise from rear axle

Views : 4181

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 12th, 2019, 11:59   #1
stuarts

Default Noise from rear axle

After a puncture i fitted the space saver spare wheel and within a few miles the rear transmission had seriously overheated, after being recovered i had the diff nose seal and dust shield changed along with fresh oil. There is now a slight noise from the rear axle, barely audible when accelerating but louder as you back off the throttle. The noise is present even when knocked out of gear, coasting. Anyone else experienced similar? I am worried that if a bearing breaks down it may take out the rest of the transmission.
stuarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2019, 12:06   #2
Lancee
Premier Member

Browsed and found this. Amazed as I thought AWD wheels and tyres had to be closely matched to avoid transmission damage, therefore would be astounded that any space saver tyre might not be closely matched ? Don't know too much about this but assume (Haldex ?) 4WD transmission has been damaged as a result ? Sorry to hear of this issue, good luck with a cost effective solution.
Lancee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2019, 12:03   #3
stuarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancee View Post
Browsed and found this. Amazed as I thought AWD wheels and tyres had to be closely matched to avoid transmission damage, therefore would be astounded that any space saver tyre might not be closely matched ? Don't know too much about this but assume (Haldex ?) 4WD transmission has been damaged as a result ? Sorry to hear of this issue, good luck with a cost effective solution.
Cheers, i have some news on the situation. I had only changed one of the tyres as the one that blew out had been removed and was portable. I took it down to have the other fitted and the noise has all but disappeared! Fingers crossed, i may have had a lucky escape.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stuarts For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 14th, 2019, 13:28   #4
Lancee
Premier Member

Thanks for the update, so many people on the forum are keen to put forward there problems but are less keen to offer up any subsequent solutions thereby potentially benefitting other members.

I guess your experience underlines the importance of similar diameter wheels and or tyres when running a 4WD vehicle ?

Genuinely pleased that on the face of it you have escaped a potentially expensive (being a Volvo!) issue, well done !

Breath a great sigh of relief and enjoy your Volvo while you can (until the next curveball!).
Lancee is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lancee For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 14th, 2019, 22:40   #5
Ian21401
Premier Member

Default Curious.

There is a post elsewhere about space saver wheels. I commented about the handling on our XC70 when a space saver was fitted to a front wheel. Someone else suggested that it was best/advisable to remove a good rear wheel and fit it at the front and fit the space saver on the rear. Not a good idea if AWD I fear.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2019, 14:33   #6
stuarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian21401 View Post
There is a post elsewhere about space saver wheels. I commented about the handling on our XC70 when a space saver was fitted to a front wheel. Someone else suggested that it was best/advisable to remove a good rear wheel and fit it at the front and fit the space saver on the rear. Not a good idea if AWD I fear.
I also experienced strange handling with the space saver fitted prior to the transmission overheating, which i put down to the narrow temporary tyre but with hindsight, i'd say it is more likely to have been the AWD system desperately trying to compensate. I would never consider uaing a space saver again, mine will not see use on a vehicle again as i had the tyre removed to use as a fender on the mooring for my narrow boat!
With new tyres fitted to the front now, and a fifth Comet on its way for a spare, i hope all will be good from now on.
Old Apr 17th, 2019, 12:29   #7
Ian21401
Premier Member

Default What is a “Comet”?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuarts View Post
With new tyres fitted to the front now, and a fifth Comet on its way for a spare, i hope all will be good from now on.
I’ve been searching for ages for a reasonably cheap used 18” wheel to use as a spare. What is a “Comet” please?
Old Apr 17th, 2019, 22:38   #8
Ian21401
Premier Member

Default Sorry. Daft question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian21401 View Post
I’ve been searching for ages for a reasonably cheap used 18” wheel to use as a spare. What is a “Comet” please?
Checked on eBay. Found some but not correct width, PCD or offset.
Old Apr 18th, 2019, 11:22   #9
100K+
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuarts View Post
After a puncture i fitted the space saver spare wheel and within a few miles the rear transmission had seriously overheated, .

Will any of you peps please tell me what year the cars are you are talking about?

What you are describing I believe is the case with the early Volvo V70/XC 70/V70 Cross Country, ( to approx. 2002/3MY) as I believe they have a different type of AWD system. This system 100% is VERY VERY sensitive to differences in tyre diameters - to the point where different tread depth is even critical.

The later V70/XC 70 use Haldex series 2/3/4 etc which I believe has no issue at all with different tyre diameters.
I have a 2004 V70 AWD R and have had no issues with overheating, but do fully agree with comments about squirrelly handling on a spacesaver.

Cheers
Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2019, 16:15   #10
stuarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100K+ View Post
Will any of you peps please tell me what year the cars are you are talking about?

What you are describing I believe is the case with the early Volvo V70/XC 70/V70 Cross Country, ( to approx. 2002/3MY) as I believe they have a different type of AWD system. This system 100% is VERY VERY sensitive to differences in tyre
diameters - to the point where different tread depth is even critical.

The later V70/XC 70 use Haldex series 2/3/4 etc which I believe has no issue at all with different tyre diameters.
I have a 2004 V70 AWD R and have had no issues with overheating, but do fully agree with comments about squirrelly handling on a spacesaver.

Cheers
Bob
I don't know how i managed to overlook the type of car! It is a manual V70r AWD late 1997 vintage, just over 90,000 miles on the clock.