Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 High backed booster seat

Views : 2766

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 9th, 2020, 17:52   #1
Sts121

Default XC90 High backed booster seat

Hi guys,

Had my XC90 since November and am struggling with the car seat situation for my 6 year old.

I currently have maxi cosi rodi which maxi cosi days fits but head rests may need to be taken out. This is what I did with my Audi’s. only the head rests don’t come out on the Volvo.

When in position the head rest on the car holds the back of the booster seat off by quite a way so it isn’t sat flush up against the seat. As these booster seats extend with age the problem will get worse as he gets older.

I don’t have the Volvo convertible booster cushion thing on mine nor do I want to fit the seat in the middle (fits ok) due to him then being sat next to the other child. (They bicker constantly).

What are you guys using? I have come to the conclusion high back boosters will always be held off by the headrest, to me they don’t look safe but then I’m no expert. I’ve watched the video on the Volvo website and their booster seat also looks poor too, when the booster seat is extended the gap is awful between the booster and the car seat.

For a brand big on safety, I’m a bit perplexed!
Sts121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2020, 18:23   #2
BiggyG

Got the same maxi cosi one but just recline the back of the seat a bit to make it a bit better.
Old Feb 9th, 2020, 18:27   #3
redbuta

Our Group 0-1+ ones are all fine. And Britax Kidfix III S Group 1-3 also seems ok - can pull it as high as it can and still seems fit nicely.

The problem we have is also with Maxi Cosi high-back ones. We have an i-Size Maxi Cosi Kore which hits the headrest (outer 2nd row). Exactly as you described, it was ok at minimum height, but gets worse when it grows with kids...

I've attached a photo showing the seat position when my son was 4-yr old, from that point onwards we have to recline the seat back to make things things slightly better. But there is always a gap making the support feels less ideal.

We have the option to use Britax Kidfix in XC90 and leave Maxi Cosi Kore to another car.

However, the whole point of getting Kore is because it's narrow so getting into 3rd row is easier than having the Kidfix.

Very annoying that the headrest is so hard to remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sts121 View Post
Hi guys,

Had my XC90 since November and am struggling with the car seat situation for my 6 year old.

I currently have maxi cosi rodi which maxi cosi days fits but head rests may need to be taken out. This is what I did with my Audi’s. only the head rests don’t come out on the Volvo.

When in position the head rest on the car holds the back of the booster seat off by quite a way so it isn’t sat flush up against the seat. As these booster seats extend with age the problem will get worse as he gets older.

I don’t have the Volvo convertible booster cushion thing on mine nor do I want to fit the seat in the middle (fits ok) due to him then being sat next to the other child. (They bicker constantly).

What are you guys using? I have come to the conclusion high back boosters will always be held off by the headrest, to me they don’t look safe but then I’m no expert. I’ve watched the video on the Volvo website and their booster seat also looks poor too, when the booster seat is extended the gap is awful between the booster and the car seat.

For a brand big on safety, I’m a bit perplexed!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KoreinXC90.jpg (148.5 KB, 207 views)
Old Feb 9th, 2020, 20:35   #4
Sts121

This is mine.

Just doesn’t seem right to me. Reclined the seat but still seems the same

I don’t get why they made the head rest so you can’t take it out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg D54158A9-3F24-40BE-A8A1-1D5F2C67B170.jpeg (106.4 KB, 66 views)
Old Feb 9th, 2020, 23:32   #5
gmk666

We’ve had the Recaro Monzas in ours for the last few years. As mentioned, you need to recline the seats a little, and the gap between the two seat backs is bigger than I’d have liked, but there have been no complaints from the kids.
Old Feb 10th, 2020, 11:12   #6
Bendolfc
Premier Member

Quote:
I don’t get why they made the head rest so you can’t take it out.
It isn't a head rest, it is a head restraint and an integral part of the SIPS system. Removal would compromise that.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10th, 2020, 20:11   #7
Sts121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendolfc View Post
It isn't a head rest, it is a head restraint and an integral part of the SIPS system. Removal would compromise that.
Sorry yes I get that, that is great when there is someone in the car tall enough for it to be of benefit. But when you fit a seat that doesn’t sit anywhere near the back of the car seat then to me that doesn’t look great and I really can’t see how it’s safe fitted like that

First make I’ve known that doesn’t allow its removal.
Old Feb 12th, 2020, 11:58   #8
redbuta

I think this is a well known issue now. Maybe why Volvo's own car seats look like the Britax ones (might actually be developed by them).

As I said, Britax Kidfix III S doesn't seem to share the same problem with Maxi Cosi.

Another thing is only 2 Isofix points for a 7-seater. Just wondering how difficult to put more in...

Only complaints so far about XC90.

Quote:
Sorry yes I get that, that is great when there is someone in the car tall enough for it to be of benefit. But when you fit a seat that doesn’t sit anywhere near the back of the car seat then to me that doesn’t look great and I really can’t see how it’s safe fitted like that

First make I’ve known that doesn’t allow its removal.
Old Feb 12th, 2020, 14:07   #9
steladamo

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbuta View Post

The problem we have is also with Maxi Cosi high-back ones. We have an i-Size Maxi Cosi Kore which hits the headrest (outer 2nd row). Exactly as you described, it was ok at minimum height, but gets worse when it grows with kids...
Thank you so much. I was about to get the Kore for the exact same reason being narrow so I can have a person sitting in between my twins, but as I see there is a problem with headrestrain, you just saved me about 750 Euro that the two seats would have costed me. Especially since on the XC60 the back seats unfortunately do not recline meaning that problem is even worse.

Volvo does use the Britax car seats but theirs are also problematic. In general it seems that high back seat boosters will be difficult to fit properly on a new generation Volvo, which defies the whole essence of Safety that their promote, unless if their cars are so safe that just a simple booster is adequate and no need for extra expenses on high back ones (which I do not believe is the case).
Old Feb 12th, 2020, 18:40   #10
redbuta

You are welcome.

Just to clarify:

For Maxi Cosi Kore, you do NOT need to recline the seat. It will STILL FIT.

However, you will end up having a slightly bigger gap.

It still feels very secure.

However, you may (or may not) have a little dent in the Nappa Leather of the headrest in the long term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steladamo View Post
Thank you so much. I was about to get the Kore for the exact same reason being narrow so I can have a person sitting in between my twins, but as I see there is a problem with headrestrain, you just saved me about 750 Euro that the two seats would have costed me. Especially since on the XC60 the back seats unfortunately do not recline meaning that problem is even worse.

Volvo does use the Britax car seats but theirs are also problematic. In general it seems that high back seat boosters will be difficult to fit properly on a new generation Volvo, which defies the whole essence of Safety that their promote, unless if their cars are so safe that just a simple booster is adequate and no need for extra expenses on high back ones (which I do not believe is the case).