Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Key Fob Battery

Views : 2074

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 15th, 2020, 14:36   #1
airforced

Default Key Fob Battery

One of my key fobs has started to only work very close to the car and doesn't always work then which led me to believe that the battery is about shot. This has surprised me as it has had very little use (18 months of use once a week or so). Should I be surprised that I need to replace the battery after such little use or should I expect it to last longer?

Whatever the answer to that one is I found a suitable battery (CR2032) lying around and after a bit of a struggle (first time trying it you understand) managed to get into the fob and replace the failing battery. Tried it and it works well. I would add that the online manual wasn't a great deal of help - or is it me that is being a bit thick.

I have ordered a couple of new batteries from one of the sellers on Amazon for not much money which got me wondering what a Dealer would charge for the supply and fit of a new battery. Can anyone with experience of this tell me what they would charge?
Old Feb 15th, 2020, 15:56   #2
Boatie
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airforced View Post
One of my key fobs has started to only work very close to the car and doesn't always work then which led me to believe that the battery is about shot. This has surprised me as it has had very little use (18 months of use once a week or so). Should I be surprised that I need to replace the battery after such little use or should I expect it to last longer?

Whatever the answer to that one is I found a suitable battery (CR2032) lying around and after a bit of a struggle (first time trying it you understand) managed to get into the fob and replace the failing battery. Tried it and it works well. I would add that the online manual wasn't a great deal of help - or is it me that is being a bit thick.

I have ordered a couple of new batteries from one of the sellers on Amazon for not much money which got me wondering what a Dealer would charge for the supply and fit of a new battery. Can anyone with experience of this tell me what they would charge?
No, you are not being thick. I consider myself fairly practical and it took me ages to get into mine. Like you i found the manual (I have a hard copy version) about as much use as a chocolate teapot.
Boatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2020, 15:56   #3
tem
Premier Member

I have used the same key for over 3 years and assumed that the battery was changed at annual service.
Is this correct?

tem.
Old Feb 15th, 2020, 16:13   #4
airforced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatie View Post
No, you are not being thick. I consider myself fairly practical and it took me ages to get into mine. Like you i found the manual (I have a hard copy version) about as much use as a chocolate teapot.
I'm pleased that it is not just me then. I suppose that once you have managed it once it will be just like falling off a log thereafter. Fingers crossed anyway.
Old Feb 15th, 2020, 16:21   #5
airforced

Quote:
Originally Posted by tem View Post
I have used the same key for over 3 years and assumed that the battery was changed at annual service.
Is this correct?

tem.
Well mine was in 6 months ago for it's first service (with the offending fob) and it has packed in 6 months or so later. Maybe an iffy battery then. This is my first Volvo after running Mercs for the last few years and I never had a problem with them.

With hindsight (wonderful thing) I would advise everyone to find out how to get into the fob in case they need the emergency key to get into the car at any stage as finding your way into it doesn't seem very easy. Also read up, at the same time, how to turn off the alarm when using the spare key would be useful.

Last edited by airforced; Feb 15th, 2020 at 16:23.
airforced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2020, 16:52   #6
Thorium

Keyless entry fobs are transmitting all the time, hence the batteries do wear out irrespective of how often they've been 'used'. I keep a spare battery at home so I can change the fob battery when it starts to lose range.

It's worth paying a little extra for decent brand batteries (Panasonic, Duracell, etc) as the brands you have never heard of are unlikely to last very long in my experience.

I'm not sure the Dealers automatically change the batteries at the service time, but I may be wrong. I;m sure someone else will be able to advise on that
Thorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2020, 18:57   #7
deepsix

I also found the instructions confusing. But having done it once it is actually easy. I have changed both batteries despite never really using the second key. I'm sure that the dealers would show it on the service invoice had the chaged a battery. i don't think it is a routine task.

I'm a Hornithologist, I love exotic birds.
deepsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2020, 19:20   #8
St Evelyn
VOC Member

I replaced the battery in my main fob about a month ago as the keyless was proving less efficient. Checked the spare fob (probably only been used 2 or 3 times since new) and found it to be totally dead - as mentioned above it's clearly been transmitting constantly, hence failing despite not being actively used.

Interestingly, the courtesy car I was allocated on Tuesday (7-month old XC40 Inscription) wouldn't unlock - turned out that the battery was dead in the key and had to be replaced.

Current - 2017 V90 D4 Inscription
Previous - 2011 S80 D3
St Evelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2020, 17:13   #9
airforced

Thanks for the responses. It seems readers of this forum are DIY orientated as the dealers haven't been asked to undertake this task! Strange or maybe there hasn't been anybody who has done this has read the thread yet. I have a 3 year service plan and the Dealer didn't change my battery during the first service 6 months ago so doubt it is included as a service item.

I still suspect an iffy battery as the second fob still operates okay when taken out of the cupboard. I believe that Volvo fit Panasonic batteries as standard to all new fobs so have ordered said Panasonics.
Old Feb 16th, 2020, 23:08   #10
Rustyfrog
Grumpy Pond Dweller

I had to actually watch a youtube video while changing my fob battery.

After I had changed it, and feeling rather pleased with myself, I answered a knock on the door.

A kind neighbour informed me that, as he walked past walking his dog, the lights flashed, and the boot and windows opened.

I must have triggered things off when putting the fob back together again.
With the above in mind, if your fingers are as wide as mine, it might be worth checking your car afterwards!

.................................................. ..
I thought that growing old would take a little longer
Rustyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote