Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wheel Alignment How bad is it

Views : 10755

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 10th, 2011, 18:27   #1
hancym
Master Member

Default Wheel Alignment How bad is it

I had me wheel alignment checked today on a fancy 4 wheel laser setup, mainly because they offer the service free of charge and only want a small fortune when they turn a nut.

After having the front wheel toe-in tracked and re-aligned the other day at another outlet, I thought it would be an interesting exercise just to get it checked. What do you know they tell me it’s out! ...... I need to spend £92 plus VAT to have them tweak it?

• They told me the front left toe needs adjusting, I can't understand how they can deduce that only one side needs adjusting when both wheels are intrinsically linked by the same steering rack. Surely if one side is out the so is the other?

• They also said the toe and camber was out on the rear left wheel

I've attached the printout I asked for below.
Could anyone please interpret these figures and tell me what’s really what and how much I should be worried and whether any of the adjustments should in actual fact be done?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg XC90 Wheel Alignment.jpg (104.0 KB, 58 views)
hancym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2011, 19:31   #2
timh30

Imagine a line drawn through the centre of the car. To get perfect tracking/alignment you want all wheels (front and back) to be aligned relative to this - either toe'd in or out as per manufacturer specs. It is therefore perfectly possible that just the front left needs adjusting and the front right is within spec.
Old Dec 10th, 2011, 20:07   #3
hancym
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timh30 View Post
Imagine a line drawn through the centre of the car. To get perfect tracking/alignment you want all wheels (front and back) to be aligned relative to this - either toe'd in or out as per manufacturer specs. It is therefore perfectly possible that just the front left needs adjusting and the front right is within spec.
OK fair enough so when a car is only "front wheel aligned" why do they not take a centre line through the car to do it? Merely the angle and measured independent of this.

Anyhow can anyone interpret the print out please?
Old Dec 10th, 2011, 20:24   #4
t5_monkey
Monkeying Around

I got mine done property for £75 all in.

Anything within half a degree is OK

Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey
t5_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2011, 21:08   #5
timh30

Quote:
Originally Posted by hancym View Post
OK fair enough so when a car is only "front wheel aligned" why do they not take a centre line through the car to do it? Merely the angle and measured independent of this.

Anyhow can anyone interpret the print out please?
That is why having just front alignment done is next to useless. If the rear wheels are not eaqually angled to that centre/thrustline, you will still have a car that veers offline.

With regards to your printout, for the fronts you have toe, castor, camber and for the back just toe and camber. Each value has a permissible range, if you are outside that range it is highlighted in red.

Just to add, the middle values are the total toe etc, and the left/right values those of the individual wheel.

Last edited by timh30; Dec 10th, 2011 at 21:11.
timh30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2011, 21:14   #6
hancym
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timh30 View Post
That is why having just front alignment done is next to useless. If the rear wheels are not eaqually angled to that centre/thrustline, you will still have a car that veers offline.

With regards to your printout, for the fronts you have toe, castor, camber and for the back just toe and camber. Each value has a permissible range, if you are outside that range it is highlighted in red.
Ta! But their printer was out of black ink by the looks of it. I'm assuming that, on the front wheels, the top one is CAMBER the middle is CASTOR and the bottom one is TOE. On the rear the top one is CAMBER and the bottom is CASTOR. The very last measurement in the middle must be THRUST ANGLE? Which is only a tad out! Can anyone who has had one of these done please confirm this?

ALSO, I've been looking for a confirmation elsewhere on the web as to what the alignment specs (2004 T6) and the permissible tolerances are for an XC90. Can anyone please post them or point me to a link?

Last edited by hancym; Dec 10th, 2011 at 21:24.
Old Dec 10th, 2011, 21:35   #7
hancym
Master Member

I've found this link here: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?p=768224
But the figures do not seem to tie in with the tolerances specified onthe print out I was given. I have 18" wheels but mine is a T6; surely the spec does not differ for a D5?
Old Dec 10th, 2011, 21:39   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

The reason that ONE of the front toe-in figures needs adjusting on one particular side is steering wheel alignment , this is cruicial on your car becase if you start driving down the road with the steering wheel at an angle an ABS message and fault code will come up , the steering wheel angle is constantly measured when driving for the DSTC system . The steering wheel will only fit on one way with these cars . So you centre it by adjusting the track rods .
I cant make anything of the figures with nothing to determine what each box is .
Getting the alignment done is a good idea it will help stop the rear tyres wearing on the inner edges as they tend to , and also improve the driving experience , an XC90 is horrible to drive when front and rear wheel alignment is out .
Another tip keep the tyre pressures at upper 30's psi it will prolong tyre life by preventing the outer edges of the tyres wearing prematurely , and make the car more pleasant to drive too .
Old Dec 10th, 2011, 21:55   #9
hancym
Master Member

Thanks! Do you have any official alignment specs from Volvo? The ones on the printout are only accurate if the bloke picked the correct variant of car on the machine. I trust nobody, especially on a cold Saturday in a tyre centre.
Old Dec 10th, 2011, 22:10   #10
timh30

I posted them here previously: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=108080