Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Headlamp bulb keeps blowing, any ideas?

Views : 3648

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 4th, 2010, 19:47   #11
Lancee
Premier Member

Totally agree with the above, use Osram/Volvo (same thing), other bulbs just don't last, and that goes for all the other lights on the car also.
Lancee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2010, 22:54   #12
jackthehat.co.uk

Just an update to let you know that I replaced the bulb this afternoon and it hasn't blown yet. Hopefully this has just been a faulty bulb issue.
Old Mar 6th, 2010, 12:40   #13
valv1866

Had a blown nearside bulb in January, replaced with a Car Plan brand as it was snowing and that was all I could get. Blew spectacularly less than a week later, shattering the glass and depositing the broken bits inside the headlamp!

A set of Philips upgrades (50%) extra brightness has fixed it, now 6 weeks and 4,000 miles without incident......

Apart from the broken glass which is still inside the headlamp!
valv1866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2010, 13:09   #14
Missing Lincs
Premier Member

If headlamp bulbs blowing becomes a real headache there is a modification from Volvo which you can fit. It is a harness which simply plugs in between the existing wiring and the connector on the back of the bulb. Not sure exactly what it does but they must have thought it enough of a problem to develop a fix.
Missing Lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Missing Lincs For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 12th, 2017, 21:15   #15
loboh

Hi I know this thread is old, I have this problem with my nearside dipped beam lamp, I noticed the battery, brake pad wear and ABS lights come on, when this happens the bulb blows. I went through 3 in as many days. Today I picked up a set of these service parts, there are two cable looms and 2 heavy duty lamps. I noticed after fitting the kit I had no parking lights (front) so after checking the feed to the parking lights there wasn't any. So the modification is to simply disconnect the parking lights the new loom sections have only 3 cables and there is nothing in the protective tube I took one apart to confirm it. Pretty much not worth spending £40 on.
loboh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2017, 21:21   #16
loboh

Hi the Volvo modified wiring harness produced to help with this from what I can see simply removes the feed to the parking lamps. So the cheapest way is to cut the feed wire to the parking lamp on both sides. I have just fitted the kit to my V70 as a couple of weeks ago mine started to blow nearside headlamp bulbs (3 in a week).
Old Oct 12th, 2017, 22:00   #17
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

A neighbor and I had this problem.

I found the bulb sockets (for the H7 bulb) burnt almost completely away and its female blade connectors (spade style) were quite loose.

The parallel blades of the bulb prevents shorting out so I could crack the remaining thin plastic away. I crimped the spade connectors so they grabbed tighter and used dielectric grease on all contacts.

This stopped our cars ('05 S60, '02 V70) from eating our low beam headlights.

This harness fix revelation is a stunner-CUT A LAMP FROM A VOLVO? Is that "SAFE"?

What's the part number of this 40 quid kit?

Opening the fixture to vent heat is not the way to go.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2017, 22:50   #18
loboh

Hi The part number is 274261 Bulb Kit.
Old Jul 5th, 2018, 06:39   #19
Ghostman

Cool Headlight on Drivers Sider Keeps Blowing

Hello,

This is my first time posting. I have a Volvo V40 "S" Reg. I have recently replaced the D/S headlight (again) for the 3rd time in as many weeks.

I have noticed this time that the plastic 3 pin connector that connects to the back of headlight has melted.

I am wondering if there is a too higher rated fuse in the circuit somewhere? I guess that there is a lot of heat though the wire etc. to melt the plastic block. I have replaced the D/S headlight bulb with a double long life bulb from Halfords last night and noticed it had blown again this morning.

Please can someone help. Many thanks.
Ghostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2018, 10:27   #20
jasmith44
jasmith44

You might get an answer from the V40 section https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forum...sprune=-1&f=17. Hope this helps.