Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cheap T5's

Views : 2657

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 23:35   #21
Dave_G

For anyone that's still interested, I bought the T5. It's done 199k miles with an excellent history and only one owner from new. HPi clear. It's an auto estate with full leather, climate, load cover, roof rails, heated seats, cruise, etc.

It needs a service, a good clean inside and out, the rear wash wipe isn't working, the front brakes have a slight wobble when warm and the base of the drivers seat doesn't heat up, all of which I was told about before buying.

The price.......£3300 which I think is great value.

I then phoned my insurance company and the cost of changing vehicles and adding my wife to the policy was only £42 for the remaining 6 months!!
Old Apr 13th, 2002, 07:28   #22
alexzoutsos

Well done!!!

Glad to hear you got yourself a nice car.

Have fun with it this weekend!
Old Apr 13th, 2002, 17:18   #23
Marcel

Dave,

Glad to hear you've become a T5 owner as well.

The problems you mention with the rear wash wipe and brakes were the same problems I had when I got mine.

First the rear wash wipe. If you look in the tail gate area, lift up the spare wheel cover and the small recess cover on the right you will find the plastic tube that supplies water to the rear window. This is supplied from the main washer bottle in the bonnet. On mine, the tube had become un-attached to the in-line filter and every time I tried to wash the rear window, it was filling up my spare tyre well. It is also worth checking that both the tyre well and the right hand side well is dry !

Secondly, the brake wobble.
I had that probvlem and looked into the cause both with my local dealer and on this forum, and my findings are :-

Apparrently, the disc size of 280mm is too small for this spec of car, especially an automatic, is should be nearer to 310 or 320mm to dissipate the tremendous heat when breaking with warm discs. I have also been well informed that if the wheel nuts are not torqued down to 110Nm then the heat will dissipate through the alloy uneavenly and cause the disc to warp. This is a common problem on the 850's apparently !

The solution is to put either Grooved discs or prefereably grooved and dimpled discs ( but NOT cross drilled, these crack in no time at all ) and torque wheel nuts to 110Nm.

I put original ATE discs and pads on, at £80 for a set of discs and pads, from Eurocarparts and so far, (touch wood), no wobble.

I'm sorry, but I dont have a clue as to why the seat heater is not working, you might want to try and read the error codes from the sockets in the bonnet. If you aren't quite sure what or how to read them, give me a call because I have got a copy of the Volvo Pocket Data Booklet which lists all the codes and things ...... 01633 489060

Hope this helps a little,

Regards,

Marcel.
Old Apr 14th, 2002, 16:41   #24
Dave_G

Thanks for the reply Marcel,

I think my rear wiper problem is a bit more involved. The wiper has actually stopped half way across the rear window so I suspect it has either siezed up or has lost power, but I haven't had chance to have a good look at it yet, though the fuse is ok.

I was going to replace the brakes with parts from Eurocarparts, though they are ok when cold.

I've had a quick look at the heated seat, no obvious brakes in the wiring under the seat. Has anyone got a wiring diagram for this? The Haynes manual gives a component referance but then doesn't have a diagram for it.

I've just changed the oil, oil filter and air filter, and it feels better already.

Thanks again,

Dave