Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General > PV, 120, 1800 Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1967 Amazon Estate for sale

Views : 16546

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 30th, 2011, 21:21   #1
barwick27
Amazon Adict

Default 1967 Amazon Estate for sale

I've decided to sell my 1967 Volvo Amazon Estate, it has the later B20 engine with overdrive, a lightened crank, fuelie head with Volvo race part valves (possibly sodium filled), steel timing gears, performance cam and followers, down draught Weber on a Pierce inlet manifold, IPD front anti-roll bar and a performance exhaust system and bilsteins shocks all round. The car was originally Dark Green with a tan interior, but we know it was painted white before coming to the UK all those years ago. The car is a LHD and originally from California.

I've owned the car for about 3 years now and bought it from Lance at Romance of Rust (www.romanceofrust.co.uk) about 3 years ago. He owned the car for 17 years…it was his work horse. It was previously owned by Lt.Commander Robert Sloane (N.A.T.O.) stationed at Ruislip, the vehicle was purchased by him in California and last registered in Maryland. He brought the car with him when he was*posted to the UK.

My initial idea was to fix any rust issues and problem areas rather than doing another full on restoration…I didn't want another car off the road for a few years, so it was to be a rolling restoration. So since owning the car I've replaced the bonnet as the old one was rusty, replaced a wing, replace the two rear doors as the both had rust issues, repaired the bottoms of the front doors, repaired the small amounts of rust under one of the rear side windows, replaced one rear wheel arch…all this repair was this was then painted white. I also had the rust cut out the wheel well and surrounding area and then repaired. I fixed the leaking windscreen, but still had water coming in…it turned out to I had to replace a heater seal which fixed the problem. Over Christmas I had the last of the rust fixed, the rear passenger floor, so the carpets can finally go in without the worry of them getting wet.

Brian Gue at Amazonia fixed most of the rust issues, Lance did some more for the MOT last year, plus a few electrical problems at the time…plus Rob at Amazon Cars has given it a service and replaced the old solenoid and Alternator…I've never had a problem starting the car.

I bought a new/secondhand interior to replace the worn out blue one. I've replaced the front door cards with new ones, a new carpet through out….I've taken the original roof rack off and had it blasted and powder coated in silver, with new wooden slats made…I just need to seal the wood and reassemble the whole thing. I've and added fog lamps and door mirrors, and a 123GT steering wheel to replace the much smaller one as the leather surround was perished. I also recently fitted better front speakers as the old ones had seen better days. Before I bought the car Lance replaced the rear lower tailgate with a good rust free secondhand one.

Rob at Amazon Cars recently hooked it up as I felt it wasn't quick enough…how wrong was I? I must be used to driving hire cars! These are the reading when he took it out for a spin and a quick test: '1967 Volvo Amazon Estate, 0-60*/ 5.8sec, 0-100*/ 13.7 sec, 0-100-0*/ 21.1 sec'.

I'm not desperate to sell it as I love driving it, the car is currently stored with a friend in his yard down in New Romney, the MOT runs out in June and I'm more than happy to get a new one organised as I know it will go straight though without a problem. It's currently on a SORN as I can't get insurance for it…the reason for this is that as I now live and work in Switzerland I can't get UK insurance for it…so I can simply import it in to Switzerland and drive it over here or sell it in the UK and find something similar here.

I have nothing to hide with the car and your more than welcome to read a small blog I've been keeping on the car since I bought it, it shows 'warts and all', but as you read the old posts you'll see that if any problem come up with car I've fixed them, as I mentioned earlier…it's a running restoration:

http://www.autopendium.com/vehicles/...station-wagon-

As for the fact it's a LHD car, I've never had a problem driving it around the UK, neither did Lance and as I mentioned he owned it for 17 years...once you get used to not getting into the passenger side by mistake (I've done it a few times)...then there is no real difference in a RHD car and a LHD car.

The great thing with the car is that because it's been a Californian car for most of it's life before coming to the UK the rust issues are not as bad as they could have been, it's a very honest car.

What would I do next to the car if I were to keep it:
- tackle the engine bay as it's looking a bit tatty (it's all solid with no rust), it's just that it's black and not white like the rest of the car...to do it properly I was going to whip the engine out and freshen it up at the same time, then give the engine bay a lick of paint before dropping the engine back in.

- give it a proper paint job, with all the repair work I mentioned and painting those areas it's all the correct colour but as the older white has faded they are slightly different whites.

- but and fit some front kick panels for the foot wells

- source some good secondhand or new front bumper ends as mine have seen better days...the rear ends would need doing at some stage but they are not rusty.

- fix the fact that the windscreen wipers don't return to the starting point (on either speed).

- buy a new rubber cover for the gear stick.

- repair the tiny rust hole in the roof and the ones in the rear floors (probably the only rust left on the car)

Photo gallery here:
http://gallery.me.com/barwick#100431

The photos are from when I bought the car to photos (blue interior) to photos taken in Switzerland last year and then ones taken the other over Easter when I last washed the car.

You can also see the car in a couple of videos I have on youtube;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnxlACqb98Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckXA-kYA_9w

As to a price..I'm looking around £3800 - £4000, which is a lot less than I have invested in the car, but I have to be realistic

I don't think I've missed anything. Please feel free to ask any questions, if you want to see the car then email me and I'll give you the details of who to contact to see it.

Cheers

Peter

p.s. I've just added it to ebay as well.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=330559327652
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_0205.jpeg (114.8 KB, 195 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_0211.jpeg (106.1 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_0214.jpeg (94.3 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_0208.jpeg (94.9 KB, 186 views)

Last edited by barwick27; Apr 30th, 2011 at 22:02.
barwick27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2011, 22:01   #2
gillberry
VOC Member

I can't beleive you are getting rid of the ultimate wolf in sheeps clothing with those performance figures that is some serious engine mods and with the extra weight of it being an estate , you should keep it to put a smile on your face every time you blow away those modern performance cars .

1968 Amazon estate (Gracie).
2003 Vauxhall astra estate (her car)
2009 XC90 (Jo) .
Not forgetting 1967 Cheltenham Nyala (caravan)
gillberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2011, 22:04   #3
barwick27
Amazon Adict

thanks for the comments...it is pretty quick for an estate. I will be sad to sell it, but I have a 2 door that is even quicker..and that's another story!

p
Old May 1st, 2011, 11:50   #4
222s
Amazoniste

Quote:
Originally Posted by barwick27 View Post
These are the reading when he took it out for a spin and a quick test: '1967 Volvo Amazon Estate, 0-60*/ 5.8sec, 0-100*/ 13.7 sec, 0-100-0*/ 21.1 sec'.
I hasten to add that I'd like to be proven wrong, but to me those performance figures just don't seem to add up for the engine spec - please could you clarify how these readings were taken? The speed units are presumably not km/h as 13.7secs 0-60mph / 100km/h is factory spec twin carb performance, and to put it in perspective, a 5.8secs 0-60mph time requires about 300bhp for a current BMW 3 series, & is also quicker than the first 911 Turbo....

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 222s For This Useful Post:
Old May 1st, 2011, 12:09   #5
barwick27
Amazon Adict

Hi Paul, I'll double check...but the email I had from Emma at Amazon Cars was:

B20 220 - XBY 135F - DGAV

0-60 = 5.8
1-100 = 13.7
0-100-0 = 21.1
Temp = 10°
Comments = 4.56

Speeds are Km/hr not in mph...I must have missed that bit when I was reading her email

Last edited by barwick27; May 1st, 2011 at 12:30.
Old May 1st, 2011, 13:03   #6
222s
Amazoniste

Strange - I'd have expected maybe around 10 / 11 secs 0-60mph / 100km/h for a tuned up B20. Do you know if the figures were done using the proper gear, or just a stopwatch? Back in the day, roadtests were reporting 11.2 secs 0-60mph for the B18 123GT, and in different tests 10.2 and 11.2 for the B20 122S, whilst a B20 tuned by an SA company Alconi recording 8.6 seconds. For comparison, a 1966 B18 122S is 12.8secs 0-60mph, and a B18 221 is 16.6.

(Aren't roadtest reprint books great!)

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.

Last edited by 222s; May 1st, 2011 at 13:07.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2011, 13:52   #7
Alf ista
Premier Member

Crikey! Thats Ferrari terrority. Are you sure theres not a V8 in there?
Old May 1st, 2011, 14:49   #8
barwick27
Amazon Adict

that's km/ph not mph... 0-60 in 13.7 sec is not Ferrari speed...it's just an old Amazon.
Old May 1st, 2011, 21:54   #9
minesa240x3
loyalty

MPH 60=96.56 KM/PH.

60KM/PH=37.28MPH.

I'll leave someone else to do the maths.I just googled the converter Lol.

Regards Brian.
minesa240x3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2011, 22:13   #10
pez
VOC Member

regardless of the engine performance....good luck with the sale mate,hope it goes to a good home.
pez is offline   Reply With Quote