Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Smart motorways and accidents.

Views : 9220

Replies : 151

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 18th, 2019, 18:32   #21
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by christheancient View Post
A neat sticker.

But how many people realise what it is trying to tell them? A very small minority, I would think. They're too busy playing with gadgets in the car or talking on the phone (using bluetooth, I hope!) anyway.

Maybe some sort of advertising (a lot?) on tv telling people what it's all about and then putting a nice big sticker on all vans, lorries or trailers that have a nice flat back. But then again, a lot of people would just keep looking at the sticker and wonder what it's all about!

And then, my favourite (probably pathetic) in my mind is a habit I've heard of (not sure of which country, though) where a police car follows and takes a picture of every car that contravenes any road laws. Do that in this country as well!
You bugger off, I took the dealers sticker off my caravan. 24k to give them free advertising all over the country, not on your newly.

Now I have been on a crowded smart motorway at a standstill while an ambulance unconnected with the incident ahead tried to make their way through the traffic. Everyone in my lane, lane 2 moved to the left, everyone in the lane next to me on the right moved to the right and the ambulance squeezed through the gap straddling the white line. Those that didnot move were quickly awoken to the situatin when the ambulance sat on their tail with the siren blaring and did so toot sweet.

I am of the opinion that the hard shoulder should not be used for anything other than emergrannies, this then gives a clear route to any emergancy vehicle on blue lights. It must be remembered by all that one day it may be us in that ambulance, so move out the bloody way.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2019, 18:51   #22
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Yes, yes..

I understood first time

(Even if above post wasn't aimed at me)

But how long did it take that ambulance to pass whilst it(he?/she?) had to use horn to hurry up those still blocking the passage...

And how long, do you think it would take it if the ckearroute was already there? No matter needed or not- it's there in case it IS needed?

Fully agree on removal of dealers sticker, though.

Now, would you also remove one that doesn't benefit any company, firm, salesman or whatever, but only promotes certain, possibly life saving, behaviour? Strictly non-profit?
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThomasG For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 19th, 2019, 09:16   #23
green van man
Premier Member

It would depend on my supporting the cause but I'm not adverse to displaying stickers I want. Its my vehicle and no one will tell me to mind.

Wales has had presumed consent for organ donation for a few years now. Prior to it being introduced I carried a donor card for many years. When it was introduced I removed myself from the register, then rejoined it. It my body, it's my gift and no one will tell me I must be on an organ donor register because it's my choise no matter how worthwhile the cause.
It's the principle that counts.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 19th, 2019, 14:46   #24
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Quote:

A quick way to get people to obey a new 'rule' like that? Send a great big snow plough (like they use for Heathrow runways) through first?

You don't say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mz5g_hO4rtE
The Following User Says Thank You to ThomasG For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 20th, 2019, 10:37   #25
christheancient
Aged Volvo Lover

Location: A place in mendip-land famous for its cheese - and its gorge

Yup! That will do!

Our children don't inherit the world from us. We are borrowing it from them.
christheancient is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to christheancient For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 20th, 2019, 15:11   #26
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Quote:

But how many people realise what it is trying to tell them? A very small minority, I would think. They're too busy playing with gadgets in the car or talking on the phone (using bluetooth, I hope!) anyway.

Maybe some sort of advertising (a lot?) on tv telling people what it's all about and then putting a nice big sticker on all vans, lorries or trailers that have a nice flat back. But then again, a lot of people would just keep looking at the sticker and wonder what it's all about!
Something simple.

as little detail as possible, simple picture that can bury itself in ones head
and a website. nowadays a must

website that can be remembered in an instant. again- as simple as it is only doable.

spot the picture (may be on the rear of a lorry, may be on a billboard.. on ones rucksack..)

and website explains what it is all about and asks you to put a sticker like that up as well.

simple enough, you think?

still waiting for DNS switchover (our admins will know the pain of obtaining a domain in one place and hosting in another), but this website is already taken.

it was free anyway. i may use it or i may not. and what i will use it for, if i use it at all..

i dont yet know
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sticker2.jpg (89.0 KB, 8 views)
Old Oct 20th, 2019, 15:17   #27
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

correction in address
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sticker3.jpg (87.3 KB, 11 views)
Old Oct 20th, 2019, 19:17   #28
dingov70
Master Member

Removal of the hard shoulder is a F********* poor idea , you knew that if / when it turned pear shaped there was a place of safety you could aim for . Now you are a potential statistic waiting to be counted .

I have read of a widow bringing a legal case following the death of her husband , I will not go any further , as it would not be right or possibly prejudicial .

I listen to the radio at work & continually hear of lanes closed , lorry having tyre changed / lanes closed car & caravan broken down / lanes closed due to lost loads & then lanes closed due to accident prior to previous situation that closed a lane .

Smart system to regulate traffic flow , excellent idea , removing hard shoulder to allow more vehicles to occupy the space , must have been rung in to the Dept for Transport directly from the lunatic asylum .

The idea of a corridor would be excellent , but owners of cars with propeller or 4 ring emblems will simply treat as their personal high speed route through to Nivarna , but in reality it would most likely never work & that would be a shame . Better would be to revert to a hard shoulder as we have had since 1958 when the Preston By-pass opened , until a DI&KHEAD chose otherwise

Last edited by dingov70; Oct 20th, 2019 at 19:25.
dingov70 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dingov70 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 21st, 2019, 08:34   #29
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Em...

A question to the ones "in the know"..

(Slightly diverting from topic)

I registered the domain.
I've found hosting and opened account.
In order to link these two (that is- cause domain to point to my website that "sits" on host servers), I needed to change nameservers on domain registrar website.
Simple enough, but "propagation" of change (worldwide) takes as they say "up to 24hrs".
So whilst yesterday "checker" app on host website was telling me there is no access to my website yet, today it's saying "all good".

In the meantime I created a simple HTML file, a temporary website, and uploaded it to host server.
2 files, actually.
Lifecorridor.html (which name, realising mistake, I changed later to index.html)
And a PNG graphic file (pretty much sticker above) to be displayed on website)

Now..

Hosts "checker" is telling me all good.

And when I try to open website, I have alternating "site is not published" or "IP could not be resolved"

What the hell did I miss?
Old Oct 21st, 2019, 10:01   #30
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingov70 View Post
The idea of a corridor would be excellent , but owners of cars with propeller or 4 ring emblems will simply treat as their personal high speed route through to Nivarna
There's already enough of them that use the hard shoulder in that way at accidents.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post: