Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Regular Air Filter or Air Induction???

Views : 955

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 20:13   #1
phil850

Default Regular Air Filter or Air Induction???

I am considering opting for an air induction kit rather than a performance air filter, can anyone offer some advice?

If you use one has it benifited performance and if so which is the best one to opt for?

Many thanks.
Old Jun 12th, 2002, 22:28   #2
Simon Linton
850/70 Register Keeper

Default RE: Regular Air Filter or Air Induction???

Personally, I'd opt for buying a T5 or a T5-R if you want forced induction; anything else will be a real project with the certain prospect of rendering your Volvo unsaleable.
Simon Linton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2002, 07:18   #3
alexzoutsos

Phil, just to clarify what exactly you are after, do you mean:

1. Cone type filter with a cold air feed, commonly sold as 'induction kits' such as a K&N 57i kit that is used by the boy racers a lot.

2. Forced Induction i.e. supercharger or turbocharger.

I had assumed you meant the first of these two?
Old Jun 13th, 2002, 07:50   #4
phil850

Sorry Simon, I should have explained a little better!

The air induction kits I was refering to were the type that Alex described, a cone type filter which eliminates all of the the stock air box and tubing.

I would have thought that this would have been a popular option considering they can add up to an extra 10 bhp for a simple and relatively cheap upgrade!
Old Jun 13th, 2002, 09:42   #5
a15htn

BOY RACERS ALEX ????

Thanks mate....I'll remember you !

Phil,

I have the K&N induction type cone on my 'r' Apparently there is a school of thought that says they're not very effective in hot weather, as the engine makes really hot air under the bonnet and the air filter is open too it. I guess this is a turbo thing, as turbos love cold air.

On previous non - turbo cars I've fitted the K&N kit with excellent results in throttle response and stunning gulping noises when you put your foot down :)

I don't think they add 10%...... if they did I'd have at least an exta 25 bhp in my car and might have noticed it !!!!!

They look pretty, are easy to clean out and mean you have more room in the engine bay to fiddle about (oh and I got a discount on mine so it was almost as cheap as a 'real' Volvo panel filter)Oh yeah, the doooooo sound rather special especially in a ricirc turbo motor ! }>

A popular alternative is a performance panel filter to replace the original one..... Don at Kalmar-Union does them and Noiseboy likes his !! Its a bit cheaper, doesn't care about air temp and far far far easier to fit. :)

Jim,
'96 855-R (The Flying Wardrobe)
Old Jun 13th, 2002, 11:19   #6
alexzoutsos

hehe Jim I was just saying the most common places you will see them are at Ripspeed or the like, you know what I mean.

I've got a K&N panel filter which I would say gives a bit better throttle response, but not some huge increase in BHP or anything.

As for DYNO results, as they are whats important, I've seen totally conflicting results!

An American (and he lives down south - so hot weather) has had a dyno gain of 12bhp by adding a cone filter with a proper cold air feed, the filter in question was actually a Weapon R filter.

Fraser (of www.t5uk.com) noticed no noticeable gain on the dyno in terms of max BHP, but did notice better response low down.

I guess wherever you go you'll hear something different!
Old Jun 13th, 2002, 17:53   #7
a15htn

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, I've been to halfords...........found some nice flashing neon aerial things.......think a dozen of them should help the beast look more sexy :+

Yo !!!! Alex....shall I get you some too ;)

ahh chrome archliners & doorhandles......carbon fibre pretend fuel filler caps that glue to the flap on the wing, ooh oh oooohhhhh a 4 foot tall sunstrip too COOOOOOOL - I'm in heaven :+

Jim,
'96 855-R (The BIGGEST HOT HATCH in the WORLD !)