Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Ignition Switch

Views : 597

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 09:58   #1
howardpdavis

Default Ignition Switch

Hi,
Trouble starting my 1964 1800S. Sometimes starter motor does not engage.I have changed starter motor, relay and ignition barrel. I think it might be the ignition switch, but I understand this comes attached to armoured cable and ignition coil which are hard to find. i believe there is a work around although I would prefer to keep original set up.
Does anyone have this part for sale?
How easy/difficult is the fitting?
What are the alternatives?
thanks
Howard
howardpdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 10:15   #2
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

I posted a reply in wanted section if it’s any use to you

Kind regards
Robert.w

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !
123GT-AMAZON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 11:54   #3
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Howard;

Having changed some components, I will figure you will understand and appreciate a detailed explanation and instructions, and it will be based on a factory stock setup, otherwise it is important for you to state any deviations from how vehicle was configured by factory (Elec Ign, etc.)...

Reference 1800 Wiring Diagram: http://www.sw-em.com/1800%20Wiring%20Diagram.jpg

If you have already changed some components (although I don't know what you mean by "relay", unless you are calling Starter Solenoid that...there is no relay involved in the starting process unless you have a very rare vehicle with an Automatic Gearbox), but symptoms remain, it might be the Ign Sw...but it might also be a more simple thing like the wire on Terminal 50 of the Ign Sw...so before considering alternatives (and before changing any other components!), I would say its important to fully understand the root cause of the symptoms...your '64 1800 indeed has the Ign Sw-Armored Cable- Ign Coil Assembly (an effective anti-theft provision before the days of Steering Column Locks), and this does present some special requirements in troubleshooting and making changes, not to mention the fatigued key breakage**, but this assembly has a highly reliable track record.

First, I'd check all connections and wiring having to do with Starting, are clean, free of corrosion and snug. These are: Bat(both!), Ign Sw, St Sol (Terms 50, 30), Chassis Braid (located at exhaust collector)...also, assure a good state of charge of Bat (measure >12.6V after about 1 hour after stopping engine).

Next, I presume you are still using the Ign Key for Starting**...I would connect a Voltmeter to Terminal 50 of at back of Ign Sw (single White/Red wire, yes it will require some contortions to access...sorry!...and before connecting meter clip, check to assure wire connector is snugly on Terminal Stud under securing nut...and check for this on other Ign Sw terminals while you are there!) and monitor voltage as you turn key to Pos 4 for Starting...this is output of Ign Sw to St Solenoid, and should always indicate power when Key is in Pos 4...if voltage is ever not indicated at this terminal, problem is within Ign Sw, or upstream...if voltage is indicated but Solenoid and St remain inactive, problem is downstream at St or its power supply...

**... it is also a well known and understood weakness that Ign Keys fail due to material fatigue (suggested reading: http://www.sw-em.com/ignition_switch...ch_article.htm ). I highly recommend you consider installing a Star Sw Upgrade to prevent this fatigue and key breakage...(this certainly interplays with your symptoms), so it is recommended, but importantly not before fully understanding root cause of your symptoms).

Please report findings, and Good Hunting!

Last edited by Ron Kwas; Apr 23rd, 2018 at 14:00.
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 18:22   #4
howardpdavis

Thanks Ron, wow! A lot of very useful advice. That’s going to keep me busy!
Cheers
Howard
howardpdavis is offline   Reply With Quote