Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1800S Starter/solenoid

Views : 937

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 24th, 2018, 17:46   #1
Uplander

Default 1800S Starter/solenoid

Hi
I've got a few little issues so I'll post up separately. They all relate to a 1969 1800S.
I'm increasingly getting just a click when I try to start the engine. It used to be occasionally, now it's more often than not. It may click several times and then eventually it cranks over. Battery is good.
I'm presuming it's the starter motor or solenoid? Is it worth the effort of repair or is it best to replace?
I read somewhere (probably here) that a secondhand starter from a comparatively modern Volvo (can't remember which) would fit and crank the engine over better. Any advice much appreciated.
Thanks

Simon
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24th, 2018, 18:27   #2
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Simon;

Sol may not be pulling completely so High Current Contact is not closing (Sol or supply voltage problem...check V at Sol Term 30 as helper tries to activate Sol)...if that's OK, HCC may be carbonized and not passing power through to St Mot... check for voltage at HCC output, which powers ST Mot. You need to determine which is the issue, action required will then be clear. See: http://www.sw-em.com/starter.htm

Good Hunting!

Last edited by Ron Kwas; Apr 24th, 2018 at 18:50.
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2018, 09:17   #3
Uplander

Ron, my experience of testing voltages in this part of the engine is limited.
So, when checking the voltage at the in and out terminal as you suggest what sort of figures should the multimeter be showing?
Thanks
Old Apr 25th, 2018, 12:13   #4
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Simon;

I didn't mention any voltage values because the actual value is determined by state of Battery charge (and any reasonably charged level will allow this troubleshooting...a discharged Bat, whose voltage collapses under Starting attempt loading needs to be replaced/recharged...measure V at Bat terminals and have helper attempt to Start...voltage should not drop below about 8volts under the high St load, else it needs charging or replacement)...what is important is that there are no unwanted voltage drops across poor permanent connections, and that HCC is making a good connection when closed (V at term 30 equals V at St Mot input)...there is some voltage drop expected at the Battery under the high load of the St Mot, but we want to see full Bat voltage at the St Mot when HCC is closed!

Good Hunting!
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 25th, 2018, 18:39   #5
c1800
Master Member

Ron’s link highlights the need for good connections and ground. Simple test is to remove, clean and reconnect all cables to the starter, battery and ground strap from frame to engine block. If that is done and still have a problem you can then continue troubleshooting with volt meters etc.
c1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to c1800 For This Useful Post:
Old May 2nd, 2018, 14:55   #6
Uplander

Removed, cleaned and replaced all connections to solenoid and starter. Battery cable and earth strap are all fairly new. Voltage readings at battery are 12.6, drops to around 11.6 under starting. Same figures when taking readings off the terminals. So all looks OK there and so far the problem hasn't re-occurred. If it does I'm presuming it will be a starter motor problem.
Thanks for all your guidance.
Simon
Old May 2nd, 2018, 15:45   #7
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Simon;

Thanks for followup...your preventative work can never have hurt, and if your symptoms do not reoccur, may very well have sorted the issue, and indirectly "found" the problem (if not precisely).

12.6V to 11.6V indicates a Bat in good shape and at a good SoC... IF symptoms ever do return, measure Voltage at output term of HCC (input to St Mot) while helper energizes Sol and tries to Start...to see if it is a poor through-contact at HCC or dead spot in St Mot (rare!)...even just with a test-lamp would do, if you do not have your DVM along...

Cheers
Old Apr 25th, 2020, 16:10   #8
sleek lemur

Default Volvo 1800E won't start

Hi, all. This week's problem is starting. Fixed my VStab (thanks again, Ron), but now she won't start. Battery shows 12.7v. I turn the key and nothing. When I turn the key, lights don't dim.

I read Ron's Diagnostics above, but am not absolutely clear on where to test. When is terminal 30 and what is HCC.

Thanks !
sleek lemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2020, 17:59   #9
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

sl;

" turn the key and nothing" means there's either nothing to be had from a flat or poorly connected Battery, OR Terminal 50 of St Assy is not getting energized to activate St Mot (Ign Sw or connection issue!)...which in-turn pulls the high current from Bat and causes drop in V indicated on DVM or Headlights.

Notice that proper connections are necessary in all cases!

Simplest test is to short term 50 (bolt with Bat wire) at Sol to term 50 (out of Gear!!)

Source: http://www.sw-em.com/starter.htm

Good Hunting!
Old Apr 25th, 2020, 23:34   #10
sleek lemur

Thanks very much, Ron. This turned out to be an easy solution. The green wire's connector was very loose and had simply dropped off its terminal. I crimped it to make the connection firmer and all good.
sleek lemur is offline   Reply With Quote