Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Excited!

Views : 1435

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 22nd, 2018, 22:44   #11
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
Basic online functions such as VoC use an in-built 'hidden' SIM so you don't need to do anything for that. However, if you wish to use the apps in Sensus (Spotify, Google, weather, etc) you can either tether your phone or fit a SIM card of your own. Note that if you use your own SIM all data including VoC is routed through it. (But it doesn't physically replace the in-built one.).
@Quonker
BUT, if you want to use the in-car wifi hotspot then you need to to purchase an additional data only sim.
The advantages are that any passengers with wifi devices i.e iPads, etc can then connect direct to the car's wifi hotspot.
Old Nov 23rd, 2018, 08:32   #12
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonjedrake View Post
@Quonker
BUT, if you want to use the in-car wifi hotspot then you need to to purchase an additional data only sim.
The advantages are that any passengers with wifi devices i.e iPads, etc can then connect direct to the car's wifi hotspot.
This can also be done if you have internet sharing over your Bluetooth connection.

I.e. my iPhone is connected to the car via Bluetooth and has internet connection sharing enabled. The car WiFi hotspot is switched on and the kids connect to that, which then routes the internet traffic via my phone.

:wq
The Following User Says Thank You to familymangreg For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 23rd, 2018, 18:32   #13
Quonker

All went well with the handover so i’m now proud possessor of my S90.

Really enjoying it so far, really conscious how much bigger it is than the C Class with a much larger turning circle.

To be honest loved the C but I think the S90 is on a different level, mostly anyway.

Will post some photos and a proper review when I’ve had it a few days.
Quonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2018, 18:54   #14
moexius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quonker View Post
In order for Apple Carplay to work I need to not link my phone to the car via Bluetooth at all?
Apple Carplay only works with usb cable.
moexius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to moexius For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 24th, 2018, 01:08   #15
encroute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quonker View Post

In order for Apple Carplay to work I need to not link my phone to the car via Bluetooth at all?
I believe this is the same as Android Auto, it requires a USB connection (Dedicated 2nd USB socket), so Bluetooth is not required.

You may end up using Bluetooth for music/podcast streaming and not bothering with connecting it short journeys.

I have an Android macro that switches on the Phone's WiFi tethering function as soon as it sees the Car's Bluetooth (Doesn't need to connect, but phone's Bluetooth must be on to see the car), and then switching it off when out of car's Bluetooth range. Not sure if you can do that on iOS, but someone here will know!

Hope today's pickup went well!
encroute is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to encroute For This Useful Post: