Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 2.4i 2004 Exhaust

Views : 1607

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 25th, 2018, 16:14   #21
andy_d
Premier Member

same as me they offered to do the single or twin exit system And cutting the bumper to suit, possibly the reason for the higher quote,, ?
The Following User Says Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 3rd, 2018, 18:05   #22
andy_d
Premier Member

mines booked in for thursday this week to have a cat back system
ill update after it happens with thoughts/feed back

going for the quietest option they do , retaining the single hidden exit
Old Dec 3rd, 2018, 19:46   #23
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
mines booked in for thursday this week to have a cat back system
ill update after it happens with thoughts/feed back

going for the quietest option they do , retaining the single hidden exit
Good luck, I hope they live up to expectation.

TT
The Following User Says Thank You to The Thong For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 6th, 2018, 20:09   #24
andy_d
Premier Member

Exhaust fitted today,
The care they took with the car while doing the work was excellent, as is there customer care, they fully discussed the options Before starting work, had the car up on the ramps for me to inspect it as well before they started work And left it up on the lift when they had finished so i could inspect the exhaust
Its a Custom fit to the car and how i asked them to, no compromises or "ah but,," they did it.
Sound wise, yes its a Tiny bit louder than the old system, which when they got the car up in the air wasnt a Volvo system but a patch n hope of FoMoC bits, steel pipes and clamps, Not for a 2.4 5 pot engine !,, so as you can guess having the Correct size pipes , no welded & clamped in patch parts, and not having a Huge Dent in one of the tubes is a Big + point
Zero rattles, Zero wobble,

Impressed "so far Yes"

life time warranty = they cover the exhaust for as long as i own the car, Rubbers are only 12month warranty (to be expected) ,,

Cheers TT for the tip off ,, well worth the time spent sat there waiting

(5hours)
Old Dec 6th, 2018, 21:07   #25
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
Exhaust fitted today,
The care they took with the car while doing the work was excellent, as is there customer care, they fully discussed the options Before starting work, had the car up on the ramps for me to inspect it as well before they started work And left it up on the lift when they had finished so i could inspect the exhaust
Its a Custom fit to the car and how i asked them to, no compromises or "ah but,," they did it.
Sound wise, yes its a Tiny bit louder than the old system, which when they got the car up in the air wasnt a Volvo system but a patch n hope of FoMoC bits, steel pipes and clamps, Not for a 2.4 5 pot engine !,, so as you can guess having the Correct size pipes , no welded & clamped in patch parts, and not having a Huge Dent in one of the tubes is a Big + point
Zero rattles, Zero wobble,

Impressed "so far Yes"

life time warranty = they cover the exhaust for as long as i own the car, Rubbers are only 12month warranty (to be expected) ,,

Cheers TT for the tip off ,, well worth the time spent sat there waiting

(5hours)
No problemo, my system took 3.5hrs and there’s only so much Walsall to walk around before I got terminally bored, and I’m originally from there. Mine was a little louder but but that was only noticeable at full chat so I upped the volume on the stereo The pukka Volvo systems have wadding in to bring down the noise level however a 5cyl with a slightly shouty exhaust is never wasted.

Bang on mate.

TT
Old Dec 6th, 2018, 21:34   #26
andy_d
Premier Member

Sound wise, on tick over there's really not a lot between the two volume wise however the custom one is a deeper note that doesn't sound "strangled/muffled"
I went for the Quiet option not "mid sport" or "sport".

Driving wise,, low rpm its a Tad more sound, if it makes any sense "sounds like 30mph" on the old system is 28mph on the custom one, but open the taps up and it Growls properly, no "drone" on the motorway,, pick up especially higher up the rev range is Vastly improved, the car Always tucked its heels up and disappeared, now it feels as if it gets there a fair bit quicker.

The tail pipe is still hidden single exit behind the rear bumper cover, angled flat to the road And reaches the lowest part of the bumper cover, the car Look "OEM" with nothing showing.

On inspection of the Old system
im SO glad i went there and was asking for cat back Before i saw it.
i counted 4 leak points , all at bodged joins where the last owner had had bits of pipe welded and clamped in to replace the factory flanges,Large flat spot on one of the bends for the rear suspension , the rear box Wasn't a Volvo one "FoMoCo", stamped on it, fitted Badly , the rubber mounts were \ and / ,, not hanging vertically , the top of the back box was less than a finger away from the boot floor banging into it on bumps, The tail pipe was Not the right one so had started to melt the rear bumper cover on the lower valance / spoiler part.
All in all "bin food" for the old "bitsa bodge" system.

I could probably have taken my wire brushes and hydrate 80 and cracked on (very wet day/roads here so i didnt), Did notice a bodywork strut that needs to be replaced, 2x 15mm bolts and that will be done,

im Fussy,, there work i Like, Like the customer focus they have , the care they show the cars as well as their workmanship.
i can "stick" bits of metal together with mig welders , Those guys + TiG welder are Totally in another league !

Oh and to top the day off , waiting in the porch for me was a Nice box from Detailed online
Nano sealant 3l
Glass cleaner
Xmas special snow foams (not for me , there part of the brother in laws xmas pressie),, i shall be ordering myself a set of those
Spare spray bottles
Hanging air fresheners

Now i just need 2 days dry weather to get the rusty cross brace i spotted replaced, hydrate 80 the other little bits and get it a Darn good wash
(ok the wash is the excuse to try the nano sealant)
Old Dec 6th, 2018, 22:08   #27
The Thong
VOC Member

I’m cleaning my motor tomorrow, I’ve already waxed and sealed mine for the winter. We’re off to N Yorks so it’ll even dirtier by Sunday night. What cleaning products do you use? I use Autobrite products personally

TT
Old Dec 6th, 2018, 22:24   #28
andy_d
Premier Member

bit of a nerd for that
Snow foam by "trade chemicals" 25l drum for £28 ,, https://trade-chem.co.uk/vehicle-car...m-car-shampoo/
Use the Same as a shampoo to Wash the car
Autoglym UHD wax and Gtechnic C2V3 on top

the C2V3 is going to be replaced by the detailed online Nano coating , its cheaper, it doesnt last as long 2-3 months compared to the 6+ for the C2V3.

being the result on the roof

Glass is Gtechnic G5 coating, water Does just fly off the side/rear windows with it on, i havent coated the windscreen

Leather is "dr leather Cleaner"
Carpets "dr beckmans stain remover" or autoglym interior cleaner

Inside glass G6 glass cleaner by Gtechnic (being replaced by detailed onlines glass cleaner - costs a lot less)

Black trim bits on the body Gtechnic C4, 2+ years durability and No "back to black" rain marks and doesnt wash off the first hint of a puddle.

Tyres - washed in the next puddle, i dont do "tyre dressings",,

Alloys sealed with gtechnic C5 , its point pressure washer at wheels Clean wheels, no faff

When i got the car, that is the sellers photos

Part way through the re-fresh, since then the Wheels have been properly refurb'd , the passenger front door replaced due to rust and being re-skinned/repainted before i got the car, and the SS exhaust,

Last edited by andy_d; Dec 6th, 2018 at 22:30.
andy_d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2018, 22:43   #29
The Thong
VOC Member

Your motor looks great, hats off to your dedication.

The Artist formerly know as My V50 was mopped at the dealer while it was in for a service not long after I had it. I glossed it and sealed it with Autobrite Abyss which lasts 10 months believe it or not as long as you’re not using any aggressive detergents. Once the sealant was on it was maintained by using a wax shampoo and QD after each wash. Certainly helped me get a good trade in price against my V60.
My V60 gets the same treatment. I recently tried a spray on and pressure wash off sealant which is giving great results.

Old Dec 6th, 2018, 22:52   #30
andy_d
Premier Member

Both of those look Damm nice credit to you twice.

the "nano sealant" is one of those spray on wet, pressure wash off ones, C2v3 is a spray on spread about buff off.
i have yet to start correcting the paintwork, it will be done , taking into account is 14 years old and not That well cared for , by hand unless i buy a DA polisher.

im spending the time/money more on mechanicals at the moment. 99% there, new front pads/disks are next, along with inspect the front suspension to see if anything needs replacing.
as i aim to keep the car as long as possible i don't mind spending the £ on it when it needs it.