Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Waterproof sport key - battery low

Views : 20030

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 20th, 2018, 14:50   #11
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulj1 View Post
it worse than that.... the fob replacement is £160 and you have to pay £100 workshop charge to pair it.... !!!
£100 for something that probably takes 5 minutes.

It makes Ryanair charges seem reasonable.
Old Nov 20th, 2018, 17:06   #12
Driver Dave

My Sports key stopped working altogether last June at just 2 years old. It had had very little use prior to it dying.

I had been told at the time of original sale it should last 5 years, so it was replaced under warranty.
Old Jan 7th, 2019, 08:38   #13
dleahy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
The battery inside is just a standard CR2032. The tag will always consume power 'listening' for a signal from the car at which point it will transmit and use more power, albeit briefly. My guess is that using it every day will decrease the battery life but it's gonna expire anyway even if you never use it.

If you intend keeping the car beyond 3 years you might as well use it now because it'll probably be dead in 4 or 5 years regardless.

Attached pic shows the insides.
_
After cutting open the key, were you able to successfully replace the battery? Did they key still work?
dleahy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2019, 10:59   #14
Lexman8
Premier Member

I didn't do this myself but see post #16 here: https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...96#post2476796
Old Jan 7th, 2019, 13:18   #15
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Re #16, update: My fob is still working perfectly and It should last indefinately with a new battery every few years.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 7th, 2019, 14:28   #16
elotro

That´s very usefull guys. I just bought mine so hopefully I won´t need it in a while.
I have a 3D printer so it might be quicker for me to print a new housing but I would prefer to keep the original housing as it will allways look better.
elotro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2019, 19:51   #17
S60Chris
Master Member

I've only ever used this key for ours since the car was new on March 1st 2017 so just approaching 2 years of continuous use.... and no low battery warning.......... yet!!

I find it incredibly useful to keep this in my wallet and not have to carry a bulky key.
Old Jan 7th, 2019, 20:22   #18
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Mine lasted just short of 2.5 years of exclusive constant use before the low fob battery light came on the dash.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2019, 08:41   #19
elotro

so it looks like the battery lasts about 2-3 years and it does not depend on wheter you use it or not.
elotro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2019, 04:35   #20
yeeguy

Default Cracking the Volvo Sport Key case and replacing battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonged View Post
My waterproof sport key tag thing (the small third key, that's in the bottom of the box of keys the car comes with) seems to be low on battery. I've had it almost three years.

According to this page it's a sealed unit and you can't replace the battery!

Has anybody else had this happen? My local dealer has quoted £160 for a new key tag. That seems rather punchy...
Yeah, it's sealed up pretty good, but you can use a X-acto blade or some other sharp tool to pry up the sides. High likelihood you'll crack the case, but hey, since we're breaking warranties, might as well go all the way, right?

A standard CR2032 replacement battery fits.

A few tricky bits:

1) the case is glued shut, so you'll need to work an edge into the sides and pry. There's also a fair amount of double sided tape holding everything in place inside the case, so you'll need to work a blade through the tape to cut the internals loose from the case.
Photo: case opened

2) the contacts for the original battery are SPOT-WELDED onto the surface of the battery. Pain in the a** to remove! Pry the contacts off slowly and carefully with a small flathead screwdriver. The contacts will not remain pristinely flat in this destructive process, but that's OK.
Photo: contacts freed

3) when you put the replacement battery in, make sure to wrap a little bit of nonconductive film around the edge of the battery that faces the contacts. You don't want both the edge and back face of the battery to touch a contact at the same time and short!
Photo: battery replaced

After it's all put back together again, should work just like the original. Until the next time you need to replace that battery... :-P
Video demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqBV...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by yeeguy; Sep 1st, 2019 at 04:38.
yeeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yeeguy For This Useful Post: