Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Anyone chose XC90 over Q7 and regret it now?

Views : 9659

Replies : 100

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 6th, 2018, 14:07   #21
rejm68

No regrets about choosing the XC90 over the Q7 or Discovery Sport. it is much less commonly seen where I live. Has been great to drive and has coped with everything we have asked - ferrying three adults, two children and a dog to Ireland was no problem, long day trips are a breeze with the Pilot Assist. However don't assume your car won't be stolen, my previous XC90 was nicked off the drive. Buy a steering lock and the Faraday pouches.
MY18.5 Inscription Pro D5 Denim Blue Charcoal 21" 8 Spoke (Diamond Cut) Family Pack Xenium Pack Air Suspension Parking Camera Park Assist Pilot Sunroof BLIS Head-Up Display Dark Tinted Windows - Rear Side Windows and Cargo Area 3 pin socket
rejm68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2018, 14:55   #22
gaby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whippy View Post
I'd go Audi, interior is so much nicer, that virtual cockpit is a showstopper on its own,
The word "show" says it all! I find it flashy, gimmicky and overbusy.
Although I don't find the interior design of the XC90 perfect, I more and more find other designs dated.
I am glad that Volvo went for a clean, minimalistic and functional design.
Old Nov 6th, 2018, 15:09   #23
Zebra
Chief of Staff

Tried both. The XC90 was cheaper with better spec (for me) than the Q7. I don’t drive dynamically (it’s a 2.5T 4x4 for xxxxxsake) so wasn’t bothered about that but the XC90 was comfortable and smooth. I like the minimalist look. Once you have a personal profile setup most things can be done by voice control and the central ‘iPad’ does not need to be used on the move.

Volvo on call and sensus I find really good. Send your destination to the car makes everything dead easy.

So very happy with my purchase. But then I would be..... after spending that amount of money.
Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2018, 15:15   #24
S60Chris
Master Member

We test drove both.

Actively hated the Q7. Interior fit and finish terrible, undesirable image, feels twice the size of the XC90 even when it isn't, next to no boot space when third row seating in place, non touch infotainment means things like Apple Car Play are a PITA to use, stupid cruise control stalk... The list went on.

To give it credit the engine and gearbox were stunning (272 V6 8 Speed) although it didn't ever seem to 'want' to get up and go due to how the throttle response is programmed, and it was by far the quietest car I've ever been in. I cannot fault it on those points.

For us, much more was 'right' about the Volvo. We identify with it as a brand as well as liking the car, and lets face it - if one of us wraps the car round a tree I'd rather it be an XC90 than a Q7 especially with having 2 small kids. On paper both might be 5 star NCAP cars but I firmly believe there is more to the safety of Volvo's than is assessed during testing. Can't put a price on that.

That's just my opinion though. The OP should buy whichever feels right for them and not what others think. If I've learnt one thing about cars its to not take what journalists and other people say as gospel and go with what suits you. Everyone is different. For some, the grass will always be greener too.
The Following User Says Thank You to S60Chris For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 6th, 2018, 16:21   #25
gaby
Premier Member

Both have 5 EuroNcap stars, but the figures tell a different story:
https://www.euroncap.com/en/results/volvo/xc90/20976
https://www.euroncap.com/en/results/audi/q7/20974
Old Nov 6th, 2018, 21:48   #26
Pitvar

Is it worth throwing the new model Touareg into the mix for consideration?
Pitvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2018, 22:21   #27
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitvar View Post
If you fancy it. People personally i have issues with spending money on a car from a group of companies that has buggered the used car values up for half the cars owned in Europe through a criminal conspiracy designed to cheat both the regulators , their customers but mostly in their ambition to look better than competitors. Through criminally cheating the system.
Old Nov 6th, 2018, 23:58   #28
Duri13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitvar View Post
It is not a 7 seater and that is the end of the story for Touareg...
past: XC60 D4 FWD AT (MY 2015)
Duri13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2018, 00:08   #29
Bendolfc
Premier Member

Seems stupid that they do the tiny Touran with 7 seats but the big brother has to make do with 5.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2018, 01:32   #30
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendolfc View Post
Seems stupid that they do the tiny Touran with 7 seats but the big brother has to make do with 5.
Not really. If you want seven seats with that common platform, you buy the Q7. It has very cramped rear seats and luggage space behind them compared with the XC90. No well for the occupant’s feet mean the are only suitable for pre-teens really.