Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

MAF sensor

Views : 3249

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 22nd, 2017, 12:29   #11
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tannachyallen View Post
There is this one on Ebay at present: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1996-Volvo...item257341f39d

from a 900 series but same part no.

The other trick is cleaning the actual sensor wire inside the unit with contact cleaner spray.......somtimes works

Dave A.
often fails and ruins the sensor ! They do not need cleaning , they self clean by heating the hot wire up to red hot to burn and deposits off . How can they get dirty anyway being fed with clean filtered air ...
Old Apr 22nd, 2017, 12:42   #12
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
often fails and ruins the sensor ! They do not need cleaning , they self clean by heating the hot wire up to red hot to burn and deposits off . How can they get dirty anyway being fed with clean filtered air ...

Pedant in operation. They get deposits, which is surely dirt, which should be burned off in response to a signal from the ecu....? If the burn off has not occurred or not been sufficient a cleaner may help remove that dirt?

Thanks Clan. I am so not surprised that the cleaner often fails and ruins the sensor. So those cleaners are NOT a good maintence idea. Possibly useful as a desperate get home measure, if there is nothing left to lose?
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22nd, 2017, 14:57   #13
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
Pedant in operation. They get deposits, which is surely dirt, which should be burned off in response to a signal from the ecu....? If the burn off has not occurred or not been sufficient a cleaner may help remove that dirt?

Thanks Clan. I am so not surprised that the cleaner often fails and ruins the sensor. So those cleaners are NOT a good maintence idea. Possibly useful as a desperate get home measure, if there is nothing left to lose?
Ive seen two old generation hot wire Air mass sensors destroyed over the years by being sprayed with a substance , nothing to loose if you don't mind the cost of a new one of course .
If you look at the components inside the tube you don't see any dirt on them ...There is a fine paper air filter cleaning the air before it goes through the air mass meter .
The proper way to check them is to read out the voltage at idle which should be within the specifications and rev the engine and see the figure go up linearly .
Old Apr 22nd, 2017, 15:52   #14
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Ive seen two old generation hot wire Air mass sensors destroyed over the years by being sprayed with a substance , nothing to loose if you don't mind the cost of a new one of course .
If you look at the components inside the tube you don't see any dirt on them ...There is a fine paper air filter cleaning the air before it goes through the air mass meter .
The proper way to check them is to read out the voltage at idle which should be within the specifications and rev the engine and see the figure go up linearly .

That testing sounds at least a bit different from Haynes and Bentley. Is that testing method from an official Volvo dealer workshop procedure? Is the method and the specifications available please? I've heard of a "green book" online, somewhere. Is it in there please?
Old Apr 22nd, 2017, 16:56   #15
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
That testing sounds at least a bit different from Haynes and Bentley. Is that testing method from an official Volvo dealer workshop procedure? Is the method and the specifications available please? I've heard of a "green book" online, somewhere. Is it in there please?
The green volvo service manual is a godsend , a superbly written comprehensive manual which will cover all you need to diagnose it .They do not write manuals like this any more ... IT makes everything look simple
( which it is )

The ref number for the manual is Technical Publication 32135/1

Section 2 ( 23 - 28 )
Engine management LH 2.4 LH 3.1 fuel ... EZK 116 Ignition
240 1989 - 1993

It covers :
Fault tracing
Design & Function
Repair
Maintenance

regarding your 3 codes , 322 is the burn off signal missing , but this is caused by your code 121 = air mass signal faulty/missing .

With the ignition on you should get 2.65 volts at pin 4 of the Air Mass Meter.

113 = Short term fuel trim signal fault , which is likely to be the lambda sensor .

With the engine idling and hot , the voltage from the sensor on the rubber shrouded connector should vary regularly about once a second from 0.1 volts to 0.9 volts should swing up and down .... ... an analogue meter is best for reading this .
Hope that helps ...
Old Apr 24th, 2017, 18:16   #16
george123

Hi,
I got a secondhand Bosch Air Mass Meter from a forum member.
It came from a 940, but it was the same part number. Lots of them around.

80,000 miles later it was still working fine.
george123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2017, 16:23   #17
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
The green volvo service manual is a godsend , a superbly written comprehensive manual which will cover all you need to diagnose it .They do not write manuals like this any more ... IT makes everything look simple
( which it is )

Section 2 ( 23 - 28 )
240 1989 - 1993

It covers :
Fault tracing
Design & Function
Repair
Maintenance

regarding your 3 codes , 322 is the burn off signal missing , but this is caused by your code 121 = air mass signal faulty/missing .

With the ignition on you should get 2.65 volts at pin 4 of the Air Mass Meter.

113 = Short term fuel trim signal fault , which is likely to be the lambda sensor .

With the engine idling and hot , the voltage from the sensor on the rubber shrouded connector should vary regularly about once a second from 0.1 volts to 0.9 volts should swing up and down .... ... an analogue meter is best for reading this .
Hope that helps ...
Belated thanks. Can I download that manual? From where? I can't find it, yet. Or does it have to be found e.g. on eBay?

My 240 has no current fault codes, I think you are giving that information for someone else.
Old Nov 8th, 2017, 16:07   #18
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
( which it is )

Section 2 ( 23 - 28 )
240 1989 - 1993

It covers :
Fault tracing
Design & Function
Repair
Maintenance.....

Snipped...
Is this the same or similar publication perhaps just different date, reference number &c.? USA & Canada Version?
TP 3136/1 ; 12.88

https://www.scribd.com/doc/126885359...anual-Complete

EDIT: Be very careful re the monthly payment after the free trial.

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Nov 8th, 2017 at 16:34.
Old Nov 8th, 2017, 19:14   #19
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Is this the same or similar publication perhaps just different date, reference number &c.? USA & Canada Version?
TP 3136/1 ; 12.88

https://www.scribd.com/doc/126885359...anual-Complete

EDIT: Be very careful re the monthly payment after the free trial.

Yes that is what i had in mind , however be very wary of downloading ANY "FREE" manuals , very often it brings down a virus , it happened to me , annoying pop up adverts everywhere , It is safe enough from a manufacturers web site of course .
Old Nov 8th, 2017, 21:40   #20
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Yes that is what i had in mind , however be very wary of downloading ANY "FREE" manuals , very often it brings down a virus , it happened to me , annoying pop up adverts everywhere , It is safe enough from a manufacturers web site of course .
Thank you. It does appear to be a North America publication. Is that likely to be OK re a UK specification SE Estate?

My impression is that it deserves reading and study before it is needed, so that if the info is needed one is not starting from scratch looking things up.

So far my anti virus seems totally happy.

Definitely be wary. And that download is only free if one remembers to cancel the subscription in time. Free downloads for 30 days.