Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sound Deadening

Views : 2299

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 17th, 2020, 23:27   #1
P1800Ray

Default Sound Deadening

Has anyone used sound deadening on the underside of the bonnet in their Amazon?

I don’t want to use Dynamat as it’s in an area that will be visible.

Brookhouse do some for the P1800 but I can’t see anything for the Amazon.
Thanks
P1800Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2020, 00:25   #2
amaz'in

Hi there,

I have almost finished sound deadening my entire car, dynamat is a good product however it's glitzy silver finish with bright logo everywhere didn't suit my taste when the car in question is a 50 year old classic.

So I went with 'fatmat' their megamat is available in a plain black finish which is similar to the original bitumen/heavy vinyl fitted to Amazon's. Just had a second batch from Nick, I found him on eBay initially.

I had carpets made for my car and since the interior had to come out it seemed like an ideal time to cross both jobs off my list.
amaz'in is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to amaz'in For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 18th, 2020, 01:18   #3
grumpydad

Hi
its a old car and they are all noisy
if you look under the bonnet of a modern car
you will find a nicely shaped sort of fury blanket
look at it and you will see clips that hold it in place these go in to the bonnet stiffeners

well the amazon has got no bonnet stiffeners
so you will have to rely on some sort of glue
for me that is much to much of a fire risk when the glue fails

if you can get the engine noise down
you will then start to ask about wind noise
and trans noise
sorry its a old car not a modern
when I get over 100 mph I have to shout
at the passenger its just how it is
grumpydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2020, 13:31   #4
Derek UK
VOC Member

Is Fatmat available in a size that allows you to do the bonnet in one piece? Maybe 2 pieces side by side or across? Can you post a picture of what you did. My Estate had obviously had felt glued to the underside and there were a lot of remnants just hanging off. I scraped those off but the glue remaining is an eyesore. Needs covering up again. That will reduce the tinny clang and might even soften the engine noise a bit inside.

Using the correct glue, one which still works happily when hot is essential, but these are are readily available from Woolies, Martrim etc.

Last edited by Derek UK; Jun 18th, 2020 at 13:34.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2020, 14:37   #5
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

With Dynamat and similar, you're only supposed to cover approx 30% of the surface of a panel (door panel, boot lid etc). On the underneath of my Amazon bonnet I have done just that and it sorted out that resonance noise! I would avoid felt, foam and other for reasons: fire and heat dissipation. Keeping under bonnet heat down is a good thing.
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL
swedishandgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2020, 15:18   #6
P1800Ray

Been looking at Silent Coat which seems to have good reviews. Both that and Dynamat would look ugly left as supplied but Sound Deadening Shop says that you can prime and paint to match the under bonnet colour.

Both are self adhesive and don’t require additional glue.

Very tempting !
P1800Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2020, 22:13   #7
amaz'in

Grumpydad,

I would never hope to make my 1970 (designed in the 50's) Amazon as quiet as my modern car, its shape, push-rod engine and quarter-lights alone would defy any such attempts however, my aim was simply to dial down some of the noise rather than almost entirely mute it, and to this end it would seem I have been largely successful.

I must also state that during the process I sought out any holes from both boot and engine bay into the cabin area so this will also help somewhat for very little cost, just a grommet kit or similar.

I certainly smiled when you hinted at, once you dampen overall noise other background noises come to the forefront, and that's just what happened, I had never noticed the noise from the quarter-lights as much before

This does however mean I'm moving in a positive direction, despite new window seals, near new everything in fact when my car was screwed back together following its bare metal paintwork last year, the seal fit still isn't perfect so that's my next step.

Two areas I would very much like to have applied dampening to would be the roof and under-bonnet areas, but in both cases I had to decide against it, if I could be sure of putting my headlining back perfectly following its removal to apply damping material to the roof, one very large drumskin of noise, then I would certainly have done it, but having witnessed so many shockingly bad re-installations of headlinings, in particular on some of the car programmes such as WD et al I wasn't going to risk it. The other obvious area, and easy one to address is the underside of the bonnet was ruled out for me when the painter did such a good job of the underside it would be criminal to stick anything to it,drat!

I figure if I stop as much noise as possible at the bulkhead then it would still achieve a very good result, I still have the doors (2 door) to do in the next few days, which should conclude this phase of work.
Old Jun 18th, 2020, 22:32   #8
amaz'in

Swedishandgerman,

Only supposed to cover 30% should really read as, this is the minimum necessary and will give biggest bang (sic) for the buck, but more coverage will still improve things further, damping the resonant frequency is just stage one really but where to stop? A vinyl backed foam layer (Noise absorber) followed by an entire area coverage of a heavy vinyl (noise blocker) is ideal but as said, just how far does one go?

Derek I met you last year at Peters Amazon gathering in Southwold, I brought my med Blue daily (sometimes) driver as my best car was in bare metal at the time. I am quite hopeless with anything to do with computers, and would struggle with how to put photos up here without a friends help over the weekend, do you perchance have WhatsaApp as I have lots of relevant photos and AM capable of sharing with you via this medium, and you will likely have the skills to share on here? I think there's room, just..in my inbox.

The Fatmat comes in rolls totalling either 25 or 50 square feet but in 18" width, so for my boot lid underside I cut two pieces to great effect, I have photos of pretty much the whole process, and you may be interested in seeing the car itself?
Old Jun 18th, 2020, 22:45   #9
amaz'in

P1800Ray,

I believe Silent-coat is another good product, there are many out there, Dodo mat and the like. I was determined to go with a product offering a plain black logo-less finish hence my choice, I would imagine other companies offer similar?
Old Jun 19th, 2020, 00:45   #10
Derek UK
VOC Member

Amaz'in, I don't do whatsapp, don't have a smart phone. If you are able to to send a selection of pictures with an email, my address is in the Driver as the Kent Section secretary.
Any that you want to put up here on the forum I can do that too. I look forward to seeing some.
Yes, 30% is usually fine for doors and perhaps 6 normal size sheets would do the trick under the bonnet but for looks a 1 or 2 piece sheet would also look better. Join down the middle would suit the front bonnet trim.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote