Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Overhall advice - belts, pcv etc.

Views : 640

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 27th, 2020, 21:12   #1
HankScorpio
Floppy member

Default Overhall advice - belts, pcv etc.

Hi all.

After owning the car for a year, I've decided it's a keeper so it's time to get it up to scratch. The car is a 2006 V70R with 70k on the clock.

There are four major jobs I want to do this month before I have a long drive at the end of next month:

... Timing belt, Aux belt, pcv and fuel filter.

The car is an import so I don't know its history, figured it's better safe than sorry so want to do all associated tensioners etc while I'm there.

Found a couple of vids on YouTube for the belts and fuel filter (including from our own SiRobb) and I'm assuming the filter is in the same place on his D5 and mine.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to get parts, or makes? What peoples thoughts on changing the water pump? I've seen suggestions of only us Aisin if I do change it.

If anyone could give me a hand with part numbers that would be great. I have a vida and dice which I'm just sorting out on my laptop at the minute (foiled by a lack of suitable usb stick for installing windows 7 on a vm at the moment).

Are there any special tools needed over the standard spanners, 30mm socket and torx bits?

Cheers guys.

Last edited by HankScorpio; Jun 27th, 2020 at 22:01.
HankScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2020, 22:52   #2
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Others will be along with parts sources and recommendations. I'm on the "other side" (where the banjos really come from) so shipping is prohibitive.

The one thing I can tell you is that at ~70K your original water pump is good for a while. Never buy a cheap one of those.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Georgeandkira For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 28th, 2020, 11:14   #3
HankScorpio
Floppy member

Thanks George.

Think I'm good for part numbers now. Been looking around FCP Euro site.

Couple of extra questions:

What are people's thoughts on changing the coolant pipe when doing the PCV? That's one hell of an expensive pipe.

One of the timing kits I'm looking at has camshaft and intermediate shaft seals. What are people's thoughts on replacing these? I'm generally of the opionin that if a seal is sealed, the last thing you want to do is fiddle with it..... Or buy the camshaft locking tool.

Last edited by HankScorpio; Jun 28th, 2020 at 11:21.
Old Jun 28th, 2020, 14:01   #4
oragex
Premier Member

This is a review for some good brands, Lemforder had lately problems with some of their parts (if it's too inexpensive, don't touch) https://youtu.be/HpmPurRlsvA
Old Jun 29th, 2020, 09:55   #5
smk70

I dont think Lemforder have had problems with their parts. The problem Lemforder have is people copying their parts and passing them off as genuine. Best policy is try to buy from a trusted supplier and if a part is to cheap be very suspicious.
smk70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2020, 10:02   #6
smk70

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
Hi all.

After owning the car for a year, I've decided it's a keeper so it's time to get it up to scratch. The car is a 2006 V70R with 70k on the clock.

There are four major jobs I want to do this month before I have a long drive at the end of next month:

... Timing belt, Aux belt, pcv and fuel filter.

The car is an import so I don't know its history, figured it's better safe than sorry so want to do all associated tensioners etc while I'm there.

Found a couple of vids on YouTube for the belts and fuel filter (including from our own SiRobb) and I'm assuming the filter is in the same place on his D5 and mine.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to get parts, or makes? What peoples thoughts on changing the water pump? I've seen suggestions of only us Aisin if I do change it.

If anyone could give me a hand with part numbers that would be great. I have a vida and dice which I'm just sorting out on my laptop at the minute (foiled by a lack of suitable usb stick for installing windows 7 on a vm at the moment).

Are there any special tools needed over the standard spanners, 30mm socket and torx bits?

Cheers guys.
My advice would be fit a timing belt kit. I would use a Volvo or an INA kit.Check the water pump. I am certain it will be fine.Change the Auxilary belt and check the idler pulleys and alternator pulley. You could change the tensioner if you wanted but the pulleys are usually the weak spot.
smk70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2020, 15:55   #7
oragex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smk70 View Post
I dont think Lemforder have had problems with their parts. The problem Lemforder have is people copying their parts and passing them off as genuine. Best policy is try to buy from a trusted supplier and if a part is to cheap be very suspicious.

Not all of them, but unfortunately some are low quality, which makes me worry about future changes with this brand. This is one example - see the reviews tab and I also read about this part on forums how little it lasted (basically weeks). Worth noticing the price was suspiciously low, so that's a good indicator there will be a problem. I've also had twice sealed and stamped Lemforder replacement bushings (sold individually), they lasted 1 year. https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...714968#reviews
Old Jun 30th, 2020, 08:28   #8
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

When I did my 166k timing belt which was previously done around 9 years ago - once I had removed all the bits, I then inspected them - literally all of them were still in perfect condition and could have been kept on the car but unfortunately you dont know until you take it to bits!

So I would leave the water pump, just do the other timing parts.

I got a continental belt kit for around 72 quid on ebay
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2020, 08:30   #9
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
Thanks George.

Think I'm good for part numbers now. Been looking around FCP Euro site.

Couple of extra questions:

What are people's thoughts on changing the coolant pipe when doing the PCV? That's one hell of an expensive pipe.

One of the timing kits I'm looking at has camshaft and intermediate shaft seals. What are people's thoughts on replacing these? I'm generally of the opionin that if a seal is sealed, the last thing you want to do is fiddle with it..... Or buy the camshaft locking tool.
you should be able to spot the leaks, or you can use a mirror on a stick type thing to see under the cam sprockets
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2020, 20:17   #10
HankScorpio
Floppy member

Cheers for the advice guys. Looking at the time I have available before holiday and the work I need to do, I'm going to drop it in a garage for the belts. Been quoted £350 for both with genuine parts which doesn't seem too bad.

I'll do the PCV and fuel filter myself after I get back. I was quoted another £350 for the PCV with the rather large caveat "depends what we find" which is fair enough.

What do people think about replacing the coolant pipe in the PCV?