Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Minor bump

Views : 1773

Replies : 36

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 18th, 2018, 15:35   #31
Wizzpop
Master Member

Hmm, don't know. I tried copying into Araneae, and then pasting it here.
I got this
Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /newreply.php?do=postreply&t=289656 on this server.
Old Dec 18th, 2018, 15:35   #32
Wizzpop
Master Member

So many posters are correct and have valid points that I can't quote them all in this response.

I posted what I did because I was a victim of my honesty in similar circumstances.
Whilst stationary at traffic lights, a lady in an X-Type Jag ran into the rear of my XC90 - not very fast.
The front of her Jag including the bonnet was dented and it was leaking fluids.
I couldn't see any damage to my car.
As required by law, we exchanged details, AND even though I suspected (correctly as it turned out) that there was no damage to my car (confirmed by a check-over at my local dealer) I knew the lady was bound to be making a claim to repair her car.

First para is OK

Last edited by Wizzpop; Dec 18th, 2018 at 15:39.
Wizzpop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wizzpop For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 18th, 2018, 15:37   #33
Wizzpop
Master Member

Fortunately, my new insurance company said they would take my word for it - and not increase the premium. Whether they did or not I'm not sure, as their quote was quite a bit lower than my renewal quote I had received anyway.

By the way, the damage to the Jag amounted to a claim of around £4K apparently - Volvo 1 : Jag 0

And last para is also OK

Last edited by Wizzpop; Dec 18th, 2018 at 15:40.
Old Dec 18th, 2018, 15:39   #34
Wizzpop
Master Member

Since the insurance thieves communicate with each other, I thought I'd better inform mine. I told them I was informing them as a courtesy only, and that as I had no damage and the other driver was clearly to blame, I was NOT making a claim.

I later discovered when changing my insurance and stating to them I hadn't had any claims etc., that my "courtesy report" was still recorded as a claim - albeit a no fault one, and I should have to declare this which increases the premium.

To say I was furious is an understatement. Following up from my complaint my thieves said it was their policy to record such information, and pass on the details of any claim to the central insurance database. They said they had requested the database agency to make an amendment - but I didn't believe a word they said for one moment.

I took out the (CUE), don't ask!!!

Last edited by Wizzpop; Dec 18th, 2018 at 15:47.
Old Dec 18th, 2018, 15:54   #35
I-S
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
My own insurance, 'AB-UK', stipulates that I should notify them immediately of any "event" for information purposes. I personally would not want to risk jeopardising any future claim by not doing so.

Isn't this the point of having insurance in the first place? If the matter can be amicably resolved between the parties concerned that may be a better outcome, but it also requires a degree of trust that may or may not be present.

Regards, John.
Several people have responded to this, and I will echo their response in suggesting not to do this.

Because I did it once.

I had a very low-speed bump in a queue of traffic - it caused a bit of cosmetic damage to my vehicle and basically nothing (pushed in the bumper that popped out again) on the other vehicle.

I informed my insurance company of something that may result in a claim. They recorded that, assured me that it would not affect my premium. No claim ever resulted, and true to their word it did not affect my renewal premium.

But then I changed vehicles, to the V70 with Polestar, and that insurer would not cover the modified vehicle. I cancelled the insurance and went with another insurer that would (Admiral). At this point I had forgotten about the incident as it had not resulted in a claim or any loading on my premium therefore it had slipped my mind as "nothing" - ie there was not a deliberate attempt by me to conceal it.

Two weeks later (and this getting on for 2 years after the incident in question) Admiral called me and said "We received your no claims details from your previous insurer and you did not disclose this incident. You need to pay us an additional £140 or your insurance will be cancelled". I tried to explain the situation but they were adamant about it, and because of the huge negative consequences of having insurance cancelled, I coughed up.

When it came to renewal a year later, obviously I was not going to renew with admiral, and got a very good deal elsewhere. Of course, this time I was clear about the "incident" up front - the new insurer (Aviva) asked if a claim had resulted - no. "Oh, well then it's nothing - we only count actual claims".

So beware - some insurers do not regard a notification as something to load against. Others do. It is simplest to deal with the other party and if a direct solution can be reached without involving the insurance then it is best for you, best for them and doesn't excessively line the pockets of a crooked industry.
I-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-S For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 18th, 2018, 16:09   #36
AB-UK
Premier Member

Interesting - it was Admiral who had recorded my courtesy call as a claim.
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2018, 16:17   #37
AB-UK
Premier Member

Thank you all who tried to solve my posting "Forbidden" problem.

I had posted to other threads today, before and since that attempt, without difficulty.
I even took out the phrase "insurance thieves" as I thought this might have triggered an auto insult blocking algorithm (accidentally left it in my saved text document - oops!)

Seems there's no definite reason why. Oh well .
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote