Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1800s seatbelt mystery!

Views : 894

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 8th, 2018, 16:34   #1
RIDDLER55
VOC Member

Default 1800s seatbelt mystery!

Hello - can any of you 1800S experts out there please tell me what this bit (picture) is for on my seatbelts?
Can't work it out. Appears to have nothing to do with length adjustment, is not for hanging it up - both my seatbelts have one on and I cannot for the life of me work out what it is for! Anyone help?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1644.JPG (116.9 KB, 37 views)
RIDDLER55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2018, 21:01   #2
Army
marches on his stomach

Are you sure it isn't for hanging up?

(I'm not really at one with these motors just yet but it sure looks like a tidying hook)
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2018, 21:11   #3
RIDDLER55
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army View Post
Are you sure it isn't for hanging up?

(I'm not really at one with these motors just yet but it sure looks like a tidying hook)
Definitely not. The part of the seatbelt that pushes into the housing on the floor has a hole in it which hangs onto a peg on the door column. This little piece has got like a roller on it with an arrow painted on it. It seems like it is supposed to do something very specific but I have no idea what.
Old Dec 8th, 2018, 22:30   #4
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

R55;

Volvo parts typically have a logo or identifying numbers...so I'm not certain that looks like a piece of the 1800S Seatbelt works, but it might be a Retractor from the later 1800E/ES works...it is not part of the important connections which must stand up to significant tension when used in their ultimate function, but it might be a part that keeps the free-end, after adjustment, neatly coiled and stowed...does the roller have any sort of internal spring intended to keep the roller preloaded?

Cheers

Edit: First thing I should have asked is: Have you RTFM?
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2018, 14:53   #5
Derek UK
VOC Member

I think that I can vaguely remember something like these back in the 60's-70's. They work by rolling up a short length of the belt when they are not being worn. In effect a belt tidy to keep the belt off the floor. Does the roller have a spring in it to roll up the belt? You probably have to unhitch the wire part, roll up the belt against the spring and then reattach the wire.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2018, 09:46   #6
RIDDLER55
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Kwas View Post
R55;

Volvo parts typically have a logo or identifying numbers...so I'm not certain that looks like a piece of the 1800S Seatbelt works, but it might be a Retractor from the later 1800E/ES works...it is not part of the important connections which must stand up to significant tension when used in their ultimate function, but it might be a part that keeps the free-end, after adjustment, neatly coiled and stowed...does the roller have any sort of internal spring intended to keep the roller preloaded?

Cheers

Edit: First thing I should have asked is: Have you RTFM?
Thanks. I will check it later for a spring but I don’t remember one. Also the part in question sits on the belt high up, above the ‘male’ connector that plugs into the floor housing so it is hard to see how it could take up slack which is usually on the floor when you hang it up.
RTFM is not an acronym with which I am familiar!
Old Dec 11th, 2018, 09:49   #7
RIDDLER55
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
I think that I can vaguely remember something like these back in the 60's-70's. They work by rolling up a short length of the belt when they are not being worn. In effect a belt tidy to keep the belt off the floor. Does the roller have a spring in it to roll up the belt? You probably have to unhitch the wire part, roll up the belt against the spring and then reattach the wire.
Thanks. I will check it later for a spring but I don’t remember one. Also the part in question sits on the belt high up, above the ‘male’ connector that plugs into the floor housing so it is hard to see how it could take up slack which is usually on the floor when you hang it up.
Old Dec 11th, 2018, 11:04   #8
Army
marches on his stomach

When you're not using the seat belt where do you usually hang up the male part that anchors on the floor mount?

I realise you could just leave the belt flopping about the cabin but that's rarely how things get designed - because seat belts have a nasty habit of ending up being trapped in doors.

If you don't use this clip affair in your picture where does the male end go?

If there's a special parking space for the male end of the seat belt is there a button sewn into the belt say half way along where that section of the belt could go into said clip?

(As for RTFM - google but be prepared to be shocked)
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2018, 10:34   #9
RIDDLER55
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army View Post
When you're not using the seat belt where do you usually hang up the male part that anchors on the floor mount?

I realise you could just leave the belt flopping about the cabin but that's rarely how things get designed - because seat belts have a nasty habit of ending up being trapped in doors.

If you don't use this clip affair in your picture where does the male end go?

If there's a special parking space for the male end of the seat belt is there a button sewn into the belt say half way along where that section of the belt could go into said clip?

(As for RTFM - google but be prepared to be shocked)
I always hang the belt on the little peg on the door post using the male end of the seatbelt which has a little hole in it for that purpose. The male end of the seatbelt plugs into the normal arrangement with the levers on the floor between the two seats. This little clip piece that I photographed is further up the seatbelt, sort of shoulder height when you got the seatbelt on.
Old Dec 25th, 2018, 11:15   #10
RIDDLER55
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
Yes you were right. It is a spring tensioner to wind up excess seatbelt when you are not wearing it. The belt should wrap round the roller - which it wasn’t in my case. Going to take it off, put it back on and try and get it to work though I suspect the spring inside it may be past its best!