Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General > PV, 120, 1800 Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

P1800E bits and bobs

Views : 5109

Replies : 58

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 8th, 2012, 09:10   #21
kforrest

Yes please! Have you got a manifold pressure sensor as well? And any good stainless wheel trims? Cheers
kforrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2012, 09:25   #22
Hoshp

Default New owner p1800s b18 model b need some spares and advice

Hi Mitch, I am a new owner of an 1800s, over the last few weeks I have been browsing through the forums and you seem very knowledgable. I had few questions hopefully you could advise. I would like the car to be a running classic eg use as a daily drive. Currently it's not in bad nic it drives and there is some body work repairs that need doing. I am having the repairs done by Keith Forrest (ps thanks Keith for getting the car started), that should take care of the bodywork he is going to take it back to bare metal and dig out all the rust and respray. My question was what should I consider replacing once the engine is out and the car is a shell? I was thinking of all the bushes, suspension, water hoses, brake lines and fuel lines.
Then on the engine side the SU carbs need a good service and maybe even replacing' you dont happen to have any carbs? I have also seen weber conversion kits on the web would you consider these a good upgrade?
Also seen electronic upgrades from the points system is that also worth considering. I am not looking to get massive performance but would like the car to accelerate smoothly and then cruse comfortably at 80mph planning some trips to Europe. The other parts I am looking for is a driver side front quarter lite window, driverside back window lower chrome trim the one that curves up into a C shape, would be grateful if you had any of these or you had other contacts and for your comments. Thanks Hosh
Hoshp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2012, 09:59   #23
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kforrest View Post
Yes please! Have you got a manifold pressure sensor as well? And any good stainless wheel trims? Cheers
All of the fuel injection stuff is now gone, DJS has my old ECU for sale for £10 if you want a spare?

I still have the original mag wheels with the stainless band around the edge, is this what you mean? I have 5 wheels but only 4 bands. I would need to have a look to see the condition. Could u PM everything u need and I'll have a gander on the weekend for you and post up some pics.
Burdekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2012, 10:02   #24
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoshp View Post
Hi Mitch, I am a new owner of an 1800s, over the last few weeks I have been browsing through the forums and you seem very knowledgable. I had few questions hopefully you could advise. I would like the car to be a running classic eg use as a daily drive. Currently it's not in bad nic it drives and there is some body work repairs that need doing. I am having the repairs done by Keith Forrest (ps thanks Keith for getting the car started), that should take care of the bodywork he is going to take it back to bare metal and dig out all the rust and respray. My question was what should I consider replacing once the engine is out and the car is a shell? I was thinking of all the bushes, suspension, water hoses, brake lines and fuel lines.
Then on the engine side the SU carbs need a good service and maybe even replacing' you dont happen to have any carbs? I have also seen weber conversion kits on the web would you consider these a good upgrade?
Also seen electronic upgrades from the points system is that also worth considering. I am not looking to get massive performance but would like the car to accelerate smoothly and then cruse comfortably at 80mph planning some trips to Europe. The other parts I am looking for is a driver side front quarter lite window, driverside back window lower chrome trim the one that curves up into a C shape, would be grateful if you had any of these or you had other contacts and for your comments. Thanks Hosh
Hi Hosh,

Will reply when I get some time at lunch.
Old Jun 8th, 2012, 13:04   #25
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Hi, Welcome to the forum, lots of knowledable folk on here and a very good source of information.

Good idea getting the bodywork done as that is certainly the sore point to the P1800. One area to really make sure that is done is each side lower windscreen apertaure as water gets in here and causes lots of other problems. It can rust out all along the lower aperture edge so the dash needs to come out to make sure it is all okay, it is a difficult car to repair unfortunately. One thing I have also noticed is that windscreens are not all the same shape, the two I have are different so worth thinking about tinkering with the windscreen fit before painting the car and this might help prevent leaks in future. They obviously did this at the factory as both my cars have hammer dents in the insider lower edges of the windscreen aperature.

Very good idea doing the suspension bushes and will make a big difference. You can go rubber or poly, don't think poly is neccesarily better though, rubber is a good material for bushes. If you're just going to drive normally I think rubber bushes would be best, if you want to drive it harder and don't mind more noise and vibration in the cabin then poly is the better choice but get decent ones. Hoses would be a good idea to replace and the lines could be done if they require it.

Stick with twin SUs and recondition them if required, they are a great simple carb, the main problem is that the spindle can wear and leak air which will effect mainly your idle so would need a new spindle or re-bushing. They are easy to recondition apart from if they need re-bushing you'd need to send them away. I only have my spare SUs but if you have twin SUs already stick with the ones you have. Is the car a 1.8l or 2l? If it is a 2l have a look at my engine build for my Amazon, it's a nice engine for probably what you'd like. It has a B20E head slightly worked with a KG Trimning KG10 cam. That will be a nice performance upgrade to the standard engine in your P1800 but still quite civilised and reliable. This is basically what I did with my engine but there are many ways to skin this cat:

The engine specs and new parts:
Lightened flywheel
Clutch assembly
Polished crank and new bearings
Balanced clutch/flywheel/crank and con rods assembly
Bored 30thou over cylinders
Pistons and rings
Skimmed and worked E head with hardened exhaust seats - CR 10:1
Inlet & exhaust valves and valve springs
KG10 cam, followers & push rods
Oil, fuel and water pumps
Front and rear crank covers with modern seals
Rocker assembly
Gasket, seals and bolts etc.
The lumination ignition is a good upgrade, so is the 123 dizzy and I did a megajolt ignition for mine, more work but works well.

I have a front quarter window from a P1800E which might have a different button arrangement to your other one, not sure what the condition is so will get a pic and let you know. Sorry don't have the other bit of trim you are after.
If anything else just ask.
Cheers,
Mitch
The Following User Says Thank You to Burdekin For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 00:01   #26
JP 1800
Master Member

Hi mitch,

I am looking for a set of front indicator bases, the small chrome trim piece that goes behind the top arm rest and meets the rubber seal and if possible a good boot lid.
Thanks

JP
JP 1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 07:35   #27
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Hi Jp,

Don't think I have the indicator bases, I'll check if I have the trim and I have a very good boot lid but keeping for my project for now sorry. Pity you don't need a bonnet as I have two very good ones and only need the one. I eventually plan on making all my panels from fibreglass and or carbon fibre but need one for the moulds.

Cheers,

Mitch
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 08:58   #28
alastair

Hi JP,

I've got a pair of indicator bases/bevels you're welcome to. I'll just need to pull them from the attic.

alastair

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP 1800 View Post
Hi mitch,

I am looking for a set of front indicator bases, the small chrome trim piece that goes behind the top arm rest and meets the rubber seal and if possible a good boot lid.
Thanks

JP
alastair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 09:00   #29
Hoshp

Hi Mitch thanks for the advice, the car is a 1967 B18 model B. I have looked at the parts catalogue and it looks like the quarter lite window is the same for S and E. I would be interested as long as its not bent, that is what is wrong with mine. Bad chrome should not be a problem as can always get that redone. Let me know how much you would want for the window. You also mentioned you have 2 screens would you sell one of theses? Or are they your own spares. Re the engine i will take baby steps and do one thing at a time and see how I feel with performance. Thanks again for your help Hosh
Hoshp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 10:21   #30
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoshp View Post
Hi Mitch thanks for the advice, the car is a 1967 B18 model B. I have looked at the parts catalogue and it looks like the quarter lite window is the same for S and E. I would be interested as long as its not bent, that is what is wrong with mine. Bad chrome should not be a problem as can always get that redone. Let me know how much you would want for the window. You also mentioned you have 2 screens would you sell one of theses? Or are they your own spares. Re the engine i will take baby steps and do one thing at a time and see how I feel with performance. Thanks again for your help Hosh
Hi Hosh,

The window looks straight, I've taken a pic but at my workshop so can't post it on the forum from my phone so will do that tknight or tomorrow. The out frame looks like it would polish up nicely with some minor pits but the inside I'm not so sure about but if rechroming then would be fine. It's still on the door so will need to take it off during the week for a better look for you and then if okay will post it next Saturday.