Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2011 V60 Tailgate switch not operable

Views : 627

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 3rd, 2024, 10:52   #1
Rocinante
Master Member

Default 2011 V60 Tailgate switch not operable

My 2011 V60, boot switch is completely non operational. Was working fine one day, and completely dead the next.

It's an unpowered tailgate, with keyless entry. The button to unlock the boot lid on the boot has no effect at all, the button to lock the car, next to the unlock button, still works and will lock the car. My assumption would be that the unlock switch has failed.

Ideally I'd like to replace the switch. I've been searching on here, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of information, but think I may have to replace the whole unit, with Volvo written across it, and the number plate lights.

Does anyone know if I can replace the switch, and how I would do it, or if the whole unit needs replaced, and if so how that is done.

All advice appreciated.

(I can open the boot, from the inside, through the pinhole release in the lock)

Couple of links to pics, to show what I'm talking about (the switch would be item 5 on the top link):

https://partsouq.com/assets/tesserac.../924/92448.gif

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325935369...Bk9SR_a6vuyZYw

Last edited by Rocinante; Jan 3rd, 2024 at 11:12.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2024, 14:58   #2
Rocinante
Master Member

Failing any experience with the issue at hand, is removing the boot 'handle' unit the sort of thing Vida shows ?
Could someone with Vida, share the page showing how it is removed ?
Old Jan 5th, 2024, 08:37   #3
Rocinante
Master Member

If anyone is looking to take apart the boot of a 2015 V60, see attached link.

It's installation instructions for installing a rear camera, but gives all the steps to take the boot lid apart.

https://protect-eu.mimecast.com/s/l0....volvocars.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Rocinante For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 23rd, 2024, 10:44   #4
Rocinante
Master Member

Final Close out, if anyone is interested or comes across this in the future.

The switch is part of the trim piece that says Volvo across it, so the whole part needs replaced.

I looked around for a second hand part, but there are 4 options for the boot button /panel (With and without keyless, and with and without camera), making the part scarce, so second hand part was difficult to source, especially as I quite often found that they used the wrong part number. The part has the 4 part numbers on it, with an arrow pointing to the relevant one, which the listings often ignore, so had to see photos of the underside to check.

So ordered a new part from FRF Volvo Swansea, for around £150, who were helpful.

Part was pretty easy to replace, and functionality was immediately restored.

Last edited by Rocinante; Feb 23rd, 2024 at 10:47.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rocinante For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 23rd, 2024, 11:09   #5
GMcL
0's and 1's

I've just seen this thread.

I had a similar issue with my S60 a couple of years back and like you replaced the complete panel. I bought a used part from eBay in Latvia or somewhere far, far away. I think one retaining clip in the boot split otherwise pretty straightforward swap.

The problem on the switch I replaced was the rubberised cover of the switch perished, I also think my wife and my daughter's long finger nails contributed to this. I mainly use the button on the key fob to open the boot now and give the switch a wipe over with a light machine oil once or twice a year to keep the rubber flexible.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2024, 20:58   #6
Toprivetguns

I’ve stripped the switch back and found it to be a standard micro switch. If you’re handy it’s fairly easy to replace. The issue I’m suffering with is worn wiring along the boot to body gaitor. Also the lock itself is temperamental. I’d love to see 200k from the old girl, but of recent the electrical gremlins keep appearing.
Old Feb 24th, 2024, 22:12   #7
alf27
Alf27

When mine failed I found if you remove the rubber finger pad, then you will find the microswitch's operating lever, I found that it worked when pushed up without the pad fitted, to make it water proof I taped some gaffer tape loosly over the opening, worked for a while but had to be replaced eventually, you are correct that the whole unit has to be replaced, (switch unit with the numberplate lights)

XC60 2008 Auto Grey
alf27 is offline   Reply With Quote