Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

The stupid car is now at RT Mechanics...

Views : 10026

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 4th, 2008, 16:23   #21
Glen Morangie
Economy motorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgyken View Post
There is a lot of brake and suspension work there and it maybe they have priced each job seperately - my advice is to get a full split of the costs. Try negotiating or sourcing parts yourself.
I've had that conversation a few times with Volvo dealers - in the past (haven't had work done at main dealer for a while, so not sure if arrangements are still the same) they would have a set time allocation (from Volvo) for each job - sometimes this was in their favour, sometimes not.

However, it was not an option to say 'while that's in bits, can you do the .... at the same time'. So, when I was having the timing belt done I asked if they could replace the front oil seals on my B230 (which is easy when doing the belt) - yes they said, but the price is the same as for doing the seals on their own.

The 'official' line was 'well it's swings and roundabouts' sometimes they do wok which takes longer than the allocated time, sometimes the customer effectively pays twice for dismantling which is only done once (when jobs are done at the same time).

I suspect it may result in some of the calls one gets when the car is having work done - 'while carring out the repairs we've noticed....... really needs replacing', which may be when the time allocation is not in their favour, unless some aggregated work is found to tip the balance - just my thoughts, I'm sure it can't be easy running a Volvo dealership.
Glen Morangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 21:03   #22
AndysR
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Morangie View Post
I've had that conversation a few times with Volvo dealers - in the past (haven't had work done at main dealer for a while, so not sure if arrangements are still the same) they would have a set time allocation (from Volvo) for each job - sometimes this was in their favour, sometimes not.

However, it was not an option to say 'while that's in bits, can you do the .... at the same time'. So, when I was having the timing belt done I asked if they could replace the front oil seals on my B230 (which is easy when doing the belt) - yes they said, but the price is the same as for doing the seals on their own.

The 'official' line was 'well it's swings and roundabouts' sometimes they do wok which takes longer than the allocated time, sometimes the customer effectively pays twice for dismantling which is only done once (when jobs are done at the same time).

I suspect it may result in some of the calls one gets when the car is having work done - 'while carring out the repairs we've noticed....... really needs replacing', which may be when the time allocation is not in their favour, unless some aggregated work is found to tip the balance - just my thoughts, I'm sure it can't be easy running a Volvo dealership.

Worked for various main dealers, although not Volvo, for about 8 years now and this has never been a practise I was aware of or excercise. Yes there are what we can FRT's, factory recommended times, for the renewal of all mechanical and electrical items on a car but the time for replacing a seal will include ALL stripping and rebuilding required to complete the job. If for example your having the camshaft drivebelt renewed on your (make)/(model) at our main dealers with an FRT of 2.5hrs and we were to find that the front crankshaft oil seal required renewal we would deduct the FRT for renewing the camshaft drive belt from the FRT for renewing the camshaft oil seal say 3.0hrs. This would leave a difference of 0.5hrs we would then temporarly halt work on the car, price that as an individual job parts and labour (INCLUDING VAT) then inform the client about our findings and advise that it is strongly recommended that this work be done and our reasons for recommending it be done. Hopefully obtain verbal go-ahead complete the work and invoice as two seperate jobs so that the history for the car highlights the additional work done. If the customer chooses not to have the work done, and it has been known, then we would complete the work requested by the customer and report the additional work on the invoice which the customer signs to say they have had this explained to them.

This is also the way warranty repairs are coded/invoiced to any of the manufacturer's I have represented and I would be surprised if any manufacturer did something different to this as there is no way that you will get a manufacturer to pay you to do the job twice, which is what they effectively did to you, so why should the retail customer!

I think its a shame that alot of main dealers are tarnished with the same brush as we are not all theives! Its just you only seem to hear about the bad experiences not the good ones.

With reference to the work on the S60R that is a result of what happens when someone who knows what they are doing works on your car. They are able to inspect the car and highlight all areas of the vehicle which they feel require attention not just carry it all out and present you with a bill when completed or indeed ignore them because you "didn't ask for it to be checked", lets face it most people on the road don't even know how check a cars engine oil level so are hardly likely to know if a lower suspension bush is in need of renewal and 9 times out 10 assume that because it has been worked on by a garage that these will have been checked anyway!! When a quotation is presented to you for additional work, and it will have been under no obligation I am sure, it is then solely your decision as the owner to authorise or decline the work. But you can be safe in the knowledge that the reason that these items have been reported is because they are in genuine need of renewal I feel this is a result of being looked after by a well respected garage and no I am not on commission for RT's its just I have never come across a more genuine garage independant or francise main dealer and I have dealt with a few!

Oh and its also not a pop at anyone, sometimes I write things like I am on the rant but its not the case its just how I write things! lol
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 21:56   #23
Glen Morangie
Economy motorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyrs View Post
Worked for various main dealers, although not Volvo, for about 8 years now and this has never been a practise I was aware of or excercise.............................
Well thanks for putting that straight - although what I described was exactly what I was told by my (then) local dealer.

It didn't actually affect me too much as the garage that sold me the car stopped being a Volvo dealer, but would I discovered, still service Volvo cars they had sold, and they just quoted for the work as a 'bundle'. So I was able to get services there until the car was about ten years old.

After that any discussions with the dealer about servicing seemed to involve sums in excess of £1000!
Glen Morangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 22:26   #24
AndysR
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Morangie View Post
Well thanks for putting that straight - although what I described was exactly what I was told by my (then) local dealer.

It didn't actually affect me too much as the garage that sold me the car stopped being a Volvo dealer, but would I discovered, still service Volvo cars they had sold, and they just quoted for the work as a 'bundle'. So I was able to get services there until the car was about ten years old.

After that any discussions with the dealer about servicing seemed to involve sums in excess of £1000!
I am afraid to say.... At no stage did I doubt what you had described!

£1,000!! Unbelievable obviously didn't want your business or were quoting you for a 3 year service package!! lol

You tend to find that alot of main dealers now offer fixed price cheaper servicing for cars 4 years and older to retain business as alot of people tend to get local independants to carry out servicing when the car is out of warranty.

Last edited by AndysR; Jan 4th, 2008 at 22:31. Reason: Forgot something!!
AndysR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 11:32   #25
Russ

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.C. View Post
OK here's an update for you. Just got an email from RT specifying all the work that needs doing. As follows:

Sotware update
Wishbone bushes
Wiper blades
Front Shocks
Top mounts
Metal top mounts
Front pads
Front discs
Fuel pressure
Four wheel alignment

Nearly £3K all in.

I nearly fell off my chair. I would like to specify that this is not RTs fault they have been brilliant - honest and communicative throughout. Looks like it's just a case of Volvo S60R ownership is not cheap by any stretch of the imagination..

But what else can I do?

PC
That is one long list of faults, I was expecting to hear that your car was fixed ages ago considering they've had it for a month!! Let's hope they don't charge you a storage fee as well.

What sort of mileage has your car got, and does it have a full service history?

I would also ask them for a detailed breakdown of costs, some of the parts you mentioned are expensive, shocks, discs and pads, but there must be a high labour charge to get to £3000.
Get the car running and get some other quotes, Volvo main dealers have a discount scheme when your car is over 4 years old.

Russ
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 11:54   #26
JIM C
Forum Support Team

I think to try and keep the costs down there is a fair bit a DIY person could easily do at home eg. discs, pads, wipers, bushes.
Best of luck.
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 12:11   #27
John_C
Allons-y!

Wow that is a big list, I know how *that* feels

How many miles has the car done? I suppose it's about 5 years old now so could certainly be ready for new shocks, mounts and bushes. Doesn't the "R" have the trick adjustable suspension system, I guess the shocks must be *rather* expensive?

RT will most certainly give a full breakdown of prices etc if they've not already.

Cheers,
John
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 12:50   #28
s60ben
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_C View Post
Wow that is a big list, I know how *that* feels

How many miles has the car done? I suppose it's about 5 years old now so could certainly be ready for new shocks, mounts and bushes. Doesn't the "R" have the trick adjustable suspension system, I guess the shocks must be *rather* expensive?

RT will most certainly give a full breakdown of prices etc if they've not already.

Cheers,
John
Given the price of the Nivomats at some IIRC £400 each......... then it becomes fairly easy to see how steep the bill can rise! The fancy S60R system is probably £800 per shock or something horrendous!

Quote:
Software update (Knowing Volvo charges probably £50 or so in parts)
Wishbone bushes (Parts new wishbones @ £100 each & Labour)
Wiper blades VERY DIY New Volvo Flatblades around £40
Front Shocks - God only knows.... Nivo's at £400/£500 each... so lots more at a guess
Top mounts & Metal top mounts (Parts/Labour One side @ £220 IIRC)
Front pads VERY DIY (Partswise no idea for S60R)
Front discs VERY DIY (Partswise Volvo ones IIRC are about £100 each)
Fuel pressure (Common S60R Fault IIRC)
Four wheel alignment (Proper full one @ 40-50)
Just my take on it Some of those guestimates are from my S60 (not R) that had work done to it.

Russ is known for being very particular about his health checks, so ask him whats the priority/how bad things like shocks are...

Reminds myself... must go down at some point...

RT Mechanics Info:
RT Mechanics Legal Threats
RT Mechanics Poor Work
s60ben is offline   Reply With Quote