Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Flash Green V70R AWD

Views : 10203

Replies : 68

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 10th, 2012, 01:38   #21
Caterham9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameshow View Post
should not say but......
Would be hard not to resist an RS6 at that price 300 v 450 bhp, 5.9 v 4.5.
Only the volvo seats would tempt me!!
Go on shoot me.
But I do love Volvos
How could I drive a rs6 to church!!!

James
Evening James, Remember its 300bhp plus due to remapping by BSR. Don't want to upset technical guys again but suffice to say extra bhp makes it a lot quicker when tuned than in it's standard 300 mode, whatever the increase in bhp actually is. About the RS6 i've seen many on my travels but only one other V70R in 5 years driving mine. Rarity gotta count for something hasn't it? Anyway will always stuff an RS6 in the 'Get a wardrobe in the back then first one to 150mph race'
Caterham9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 17:58   #22
mrc1501
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameshow View Post
Would be hard not to resist an RS6 at that price
Can you really get an RS6 for V70R money?? Especially one with sub 40k mileage for the same price.................I doubt it very much but........prove me wrong.....

My previous car. Happy days......
V70R 1997 Gone
V70 XC 2.4 T AWD 2002 Gone
2013 XC60 R design Lux Nav 2.4 D4 AWD Polestar optimised in Rebel Blue Gone
mrc1501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 19:11   #23
strbryan
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrc1501 View Post
Can you really get an RS6 for V70R money?? Especially one with sub 40k mileage for the same price.................I doubt it very much but........prove me wrong.....
No you cant get an RS6 for V70R money but then V70R,s aren't worth 8 to 10K where the RS6 is..I would sooner buy a car with 100k on the clock then one with 40K as you know most of the parts that will go wrong have been replaced on the higher mileage car..

Last edited by strbryan; Mar 10th, 2012 at 21:20.
strbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2012, 21:58   #24
mrc1501
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strbryan View Post
I would sooner buy a car with 100k on the clock then one with 40K as you know most of the parts that will go wrong have been replaced on the higher mileage car..
Ah..right. So by 100k then everything that goes wrong with these cars has been replaced already From personal experience, problems seem to start once you've passed this threshold......at around 130k, and you would rather buy a car of this mileage than one two thirds less

My previous car. Happy days......
V70R 1997 Gone
V70 XC 2.4 T AWD 2002 Gone
2013 XC60 R design Lux Nav 2.4 D4 AWD Polestar optimised in Rebel Blue Gone
mrc1501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2012, 22:22   #25
strbryan
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrc1501 View Post
Ah..right. So by 100k then everything that goes wrong with these cars has been replaced already From personal experience, problems seem to start once you've passed this threshold......at around 130k, and you would rather buy a car of this mileage than one two thirds less
Reread my post..I said most parts, no where did I say everything..Most of the cars I have bought have between 80 to 200k and have never had much go wrong with them, unlike the new cars I have had which seem to spend more time in the garage then on the road..I would also be asking myself why an 8 year old car only had 39k on the clock..

Last edited by strbryan; Mar 11th, 2012 at 22:24.
Old Mar 12th, 2012, 00:32   #26
Caterham9

Quote:
Originally Posted by strbryan View Post
Reread my post..I said most parts, no where did I say everything..Most of the cars I have bought have between 80 to 200k and have never had much go wrong with them, unlike the new cars I have had which seem to spend more time in the garage then on the road..I would also be asking myself why an 8 year old car only had 39k on the clock..
Tell you what, i will tell you why my V70R has only covered 39000 miles. It's because I work from home and therefore don't have a daily commute. I also own a Ford Focus diesal estate car which i tend to use for daily tasks when i do venture out. For fun, a majority of the 5years i've owned the R i also owned a Caterham 7. So you see, no lies, nothing suspicious, nothing odd going on, just a genuine low mileage car. So now you know.
The Following User Says Thank You to Caterham9 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 12th, 2012, 17:22   #27
strbryan
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caterham9 View Post
Tell you what, i will tell you why my V70R has only covered 39000 miles. It's because I work from home and therefore don't have a daily commute. I also own a Ford Focus diesal estate car which i tend to use for daily tasks when i do venture out. For fun, a majority of the 5years i've owned the R i also owned a Caterham 7. So you see, no lies, nothing suspicious, nothing odd going on, just a genuine low mileage car. So now you know.
Has the angle gear coupling been replaced?
Old Mar 12th, 2012, 20:54   #28
st5ve
S60 R

The stnd two IC's are a weak point and known to fail, have you upgraded the IC or installed WI?
What D/P and cat back are you running?
The h/b shoes can cause issues also on the R so any potential buyer will want to know if they have recently been replaced.

If the angle gear coupling has not been done it will fail and is costly to fix
Discs pads and shoes will cost around £600 plus

Your car will not be running anywhere near 350bhp with just a box of tricks a simple fact, it will be faster and it will remove the limiter the V70 R is a great car but you need to buy with eyes wide open. Any potential buyer will want to know service history and what has been replaced. Post up more pics and you need to list all the mods/upgrades along with detailed history.
st5ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2012, 15:16   #29
Caterham9

Quote:
Originally Posted by st5ve View Post
The stnd two IC's are a weak point and known to fail, have you upgraded the IC or installed WI?
What D/P and cat back are you running?
The h/b shoes can cause issues also on the R so any potential buyer will want to know if they have recently been replaced.

If the angle gear coupling has not been done it will fail and is costly to fix
Discs pads and shoes will cost around £600 plus

Your car will not be running anywhere near 350bhp with just a box of tricks a simple fact, it will be faster and it will remove the limiter the V70 R is a great car but you need to buy with eyes wide open. Any potential buyer will want to know service history and what has been replaced. Post up more pics and you need to list all the mods/upgrades along with detailed history.
Hello, Serviced as appropriate at Volvo Sytners. In last 18 months or so have had new fuel pressure sensor, new discs and pads front and rear, new h/b shoes, two steering lock stops two front lower suspension arms. The bill came to around £2000 but don't quote me as figures and receipts are at accountants at moment. Haven't had angle gear changed but no signs that it needs to be yet. 12months MOT 12 months Tax and 39500 genuine low mileage. Maybe my V70R isn't perfect but it's pretty damn good. Genuine offers around £8000 considered. If you don't agree tell me where's there a better one, i might buy it.
Old Mar 13th, 2012, 19:00   #30
volvoz2000
Premier Member

I think this guy needs to be given a break...... looks like the lowest mileage most genuine v70R I have seen for many years and I don't think he is asking silly money. I also don't see why the right box of tricks couldn't get more than 350 out of a 2.5 without loads of other mods, it just depends how reliable you want it to be. If it is possible to get 350 out of a 4 pot 2.0 by just turning up the boost then 350 out of a 5 pot 2.5 should a walk in the park. he is only quoting what BSR told him, where is the issue? As i understand it you should be changing rods on these engines to go 400 and above anyway.
volvoz2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awd, v70 awd, v70r