Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Looking for V70 D5 Manual or Auto?

Views : 1575

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 10th, 2015, 22:21   #1
JNMann

Default Looking for V70 D5 Manual or Auto?

I am looking to buy a V70 D5 around 2005/6. I really wanted a manual this time but there seems to be so much more choice in auto! I'm of the understanding that the MPG is significantly worse in an auto, is this true?

My mileage isn't huge so I appreciate it won't make too much difference across the year and autos seem cheaper at the moment, I assume because they're are more!

I do like autos but felt the manual would be a better drive.

Appreciate any advice please :-)
JNMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2015, 04:13   #2
oragex
Premier Member

The tf-80sc Geartronic had it's lot of issues. Try to test drive the car until the transmission gets warmed up (30 min or so) to feel for any shifting issues
Old Dec 11th, 2015, 07:31   #3
reggit
Premier Member

An auto will be around 3-4mpg less economical.

The auto's do have problems with changes if the gearbox fluid hasn't been maintained (volvo say sealed for life in most cases). If looked after they are smooth and can do a huge mileage. Find a good one and keep it maintained and it should serve you well.

There are good manuals around, but these as all modern cars can have issues around the clutch slave cylinder (in the bellhousing) and dual mass flywheel rattling.
Old Dec 11th, 2015, 09:33   #4
keithC70

I, my wife, and both daughters all have D5s and all auto. They are all pre 185.

Once you've driven an auto or Geartronic, you wouldn't go back to manual unless perhaps for towing. Auto makes parking, reversing and pulling away so easy, especially when joining fast moving traffic at busy junctions.

They are so economical that the difference between man and auto is too small to worry about.

I've done over 7k in my current V70 and have averaged 54.3 according to the computer. It's obviously a bit optimistic but even so it's fantastic for a car of this weight and size.

I'm always careful to drive smoothly and anticipate to avoid sudden harsh braking or hard acceleration but I certainly don't drive slowly. I always keep tyre pressures up to reduce rolling resistance. Even so I enjoy the occasional high speed blast and my 207k engine pulls as well as any I've ever driven.

In my last car, an '05 S60 man, I got the best fuel consumption ever. i re-set the computer one day and drove from Swansea to Exeter and back at a steady 60mph and on return the computer was reading 82mpg!

Generally when you measure brim to brim and calculate real usage it comes out around 4mpg less than the computer.

Of the 22 Volvos I've owned I think only 4 have been manual but I realise many people prefer it!
Old Dec 11th, 2015, 10:00   #5
reggit
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithC70 View Post

Once you've driven an auto or Geartronic, you wouldn't go back to manual unless perhaps for towing. Auto makes parking, reversing and pulling away so easy, especially when joining fast moving traffic at busy junctions.
It's personal choice, my previous S60 was an auto (with a good box) my current V70 is manual. I much prefer driving a manual, even in traffic! I found the auto boring, my left foot was getting twitchy a lot of the time (if it wasn't stamping on the brake pedal). :-)
Old Dec 11th, 2015, 21:43   #6
JNMann

Many thanks for the replies. I'd expected the auto to be a lot less economical so it's good to hear it's not that much at all. I guess depending on driving style there's very little between it, i.e. if you don't change gears at the right time in a manual it won't be as economical etc.

I do like autos so don't want to rule this out. I found the perfect car for sale, right down to knowing the garage that serviced it but as it was an auto I was a little unsure.

Currently driving a leased V40 D2-R Design and just haven't taken to it at all. I'm in the process of selling my Saab Aero which is an auto but obviously consumption on that is way less! Had an 850 T5 & 2.5 GLT back in the day and loved everything about them. Hoping the V70 may remind me a little of those days :-)
Old Dec 11th, 2015, 22:07   #7
4candles
I've Been Banned

The D5 auto will be good on fuel because firstly, it diesel, but fundamentally the low down torque removes a large percentage of the deficit normally associated with auto's.

My 2.5T 210bhp petrol auto XC70 on the other hand, well lets just say it's torque is a lot higher up and the growl is worth hearing at 5k revs!

Last edited by 4candles; Dec 11th, 2015 at 22:10.
4candles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2015, 00:20   #8
JNMann

Keep finding gearmatics but they have no appeal.

Also finding a lot more 185bhp, 163 would be adequate for me though. Is there a big difference between the two engine sizes on mpg?
Old Dec 13th, 2015, 18:31   #9
reggit
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNMann View Post
Keep finding gearmatics but they have no appeal.

Also finding a lot more 185bhp, 163 would be adequate for me though. Is there a big difference between the two engine sizes on mpg?
The geartronic is a bog standard auto with different software and will run as an auto.

The Euro 3 163bhp D5 engines are in the prefacelift cars from around 2001-2005

The Euro 4 185bhp engine are in the facelift card from around 2005 (although there are some of the E3 lumps in the early facelift cars), there is also a 163bhp E4 engine, that will be badged 2.4D rather than D5.

The E4 engine is a bit thirstier than the E3, but has more complexities - eg swirl arm and a DPF, these need a good run once a week or so to keep them healthy.
Old Dec 13th, 2015, 19:00   #10
JNMann

Thank you, that's great information. I've been reading up on the different models, engines and so on, all very confusing!

I've decided I want to definitely get a 163bhp E3 engine but would like the face-lift. I've found a few that fit the bill on 54/55 plate and will probably compromise by having an automatic. Hadn't considered Gearmatic due to the number of posts I found about issues with them but I guess there's a risk with anything so maybe best not to rule this option out?

Another compromise will be colour, no choice if I'm limiting myself to this particular engine! Mileage wise they seem to vary between 100k-140k which doesn't concern me. Found a few up to 170k but would prefer a little lower with good history.

Thanks again, much appreciated.