Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ECU Remapping - for an 850 T5 - what options?

Views : 11284

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 9th, 2008, 09:27   #11
don kalmar union
Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by itguy View Post
All sounds very promising - thanks everyone.

So - the MTE map then, am I right in thinking it gets flashed on rather than a chip soldered in?

If that's the case, is anything more known about the MTE map - like does it retain the knock sensing and overboost protection etc? (Albeit raised threshold on the overboost I would assume). Do they remap all cellsites in the map or just the higher boost ones and do they remap the ignition too or leave that to the knock sensors?

Also - what boost pressure does the MTE run?

Anyone got any views on fuel consumption MTE vs Stock, if not driven flat out all the time (where obviously it would be worse).

98 ron fuel I presume also for the MTE - as it will be raising the boost pressure.

Does Kelmar Union have a RR to check output etc before/after fitting or offer a free visual check of engine bay etc to ensure all is well before upgrade?

I'm going to have to buy/refit a new BCS as from what I understand running a remap with just an MBC is not a great idea...

I do not have a rolling road, so my customers do have to get an independant run if that is what they want.

I would point out that the MTE map that ran on Jod's car a couple of weeks ago has a claimed output of 275bhp. The RICA map is sold with a claimed 302bhp .

The MTE map should run arround 16psi max....and must not be altered with any valves....

MTE have full access to adjust all the parameters relevant to improved engine outputs.....not just a stab at moving the boost limit and letting the standard map sort it all out.

Please call me if I can help further.

MTE map still priced at £295 including VAT.

Regards, Don.

MTE performance software , TME and Ferrita stainless exhausts, AP heavy duty clutch kits, KU single mass flywheels and LSDs. 01494 785508. email don@kalmar-union.com

www.kalmar-union.com
don kalmar union is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 12:26   #12
Georgey dee
Premier Member

Quote:
All sounds very promising - thanks everyone.

So - the MTE map then, am I right in thinking it gets flashed on rather than a chip soldered in?

If that's the case, is anything more known about the MTE map - like does it retain the knock sensing and overboost protection etc? (Albeit raised threshold on the overboost I would assume). Do they remap all cellsites in the map or just the higher boost ones and do they remap the ignition too or leave that to the knock sensors?

Also - what boost pressure does the MTE run?

Anyone got any views on fuel consumption MTE vs Stock, if not driven flat out all the time (where obviously it would be worse).

98 ron fuel I presume also for the MTE - as it will be raising the boost pressure.

Does Kelmar Union have a RR to check output etc before/after fitting or offer a free visual check of engine bay etc to ensure all is well before upgrade?

I'm going to have to buy/refit a new BCS as from what I understand running a remap with just an MBC is not a great idea...

On another note. You can't beat the after sales help that you get from Kalmar Union. Don is always on hand to help which takes the worry out of buying.
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 13:15   #13
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by don kalmar union View Post

I would point out that the MTE map that ran on Jod's car a couple of weeks ago has a claimed output of 275bhp. The RICA map is sold with a claimed 302bhp .
Yes, sorry a point i missed out, i pulled 257bhp with a weak actuator so realistically i could quite possably got near the 275 MTE claim, however on a like for like basis the car was woefully short of the rica claim...
Just goes to prove to me that the rica claim is outdated, the MTE far more likely although people continually to think the rica is better just because it says 304....
Blinded by numbers..... rather than hardened facts......
cheers
jod
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 14:11   #14
itguy

Well I'd be hoping for good figures from mine as my engine is only 20k old. Volvo main dealer fitted a *new* engine a few years ago, with a whole new turbo only 50k ago so assuming everything else is in good nick I should be on for nice figures.

I'm not bothered about a RR session, was just interested in knowing the setup etc.
itguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 14:25   #15
Nunchukhamster
Gone.

Quote:
Well I'd be hoping for good figures from mine as my engine is only 20k old. Volvo main dealer fitted a *new* engine a few years ago, with a whole new turbo only 50k ago so assuming everything else is in good nick I should be on for nice figures.

I'm not bothered about a RR session, was just interested in knowing the setup etc.
Good luck, but it isn't always the age of the engine that makes it good.

In every batch there are likely to be one or two at the low end of the scale and equally, one or two at the top end of performances where all the tolerances, balancing etc is near perfect.
I'm lucky in that I seem to have picked a peach, hence my rather freakish figures on the last Dyno Day. Mine has 87,000 miles on it now. The re-map was done at 85,000 and I've enjoyed every one of those 2,000 miles. The car is amazing to drive, and pulls like a train through all the gears, but remember mine is an ME7, so behaves a little differently to your pre-ME7 system.

As someone else said, Don is a superb chap, and always has time for us Volvo drivers. Not only is his product excellent, but his attitude towards his cutomers makes him a shining example of how things should be done.

And no, I'm not on comission...although if you have a spare 3" downpipe & cat which needs a new home Don.......

Last edited by Nunchukhamster; Jan 9th, 2008 at 14:28.
Nunchukhamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 14:27   #16
ovlov25
Premier Member

This is my graph for the T5 with unknown chip. Obviously issues to sort!!

Just goes to show what differences engine mapping can make.

It'll be MTE for me when funds allow

Last edited by ovlov25; Jan 9th, 2008 at 14:34.
ovlov25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 18:31   #17
John_C
Allons-y!

Yep RICA do themselves no favours by still claiming the 304 as a 304 that's for sure, I can't understand why they do it. Personally I would say it's a real shame the whole VolvoTuning debacle has damaged RICA's reputation so badly, their off the shelf maps are as good as they've ever been, and as over-sold as they've ever been

ovlov are you sure that car is chipped?! That graph looks pretty much like a stock T5 to me.

Cheers,
John

Last edited by John_C; Jan 9th, 2008 at 18:35.
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 18:34   #18
Madleee
'95 850 T5 GLE 7 Seater

Default Econ or Sport

It would be worth noting if you have an Auto or Manual G/Box.

For the Auto could you tell me the difference between Normal and Sport mode with regards to ECU remapping.

With standard ECU software I find the Normal mode is sedate and progressive, whilst in Satan (Sport) mode the car becomes Lairy.
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 18:42   #19
Engineer
Rubbing son is racing....

Wink

Whatever map you choose it doesn’t have to be off the shelf as I believe MTE will still custom map for our older pre-ME7 cars. Which might appeal if you have some additional mods.
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 21:25   #20
ovlov25
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_C View Post
Yep RICA do themselves no favours by still claiming the 304 as a 304 that's for sure, I can't understand why they do it. Personally I would say it's a real shame the whole VolvoTuning debacle has damaged RICA's reputation so badly, their off the shelf maps are as good as they've ever been, and as over-sold as they've ever been

ovlov are you sure that car is chipped?! That graph looks pretty much like a stock T5 to me.

Cheers,
John

I've a meeting with the mapper on Sat morning to try and see whats going on and what work he carried out for the original owner. The boost is fairly progressive and then it really fires you in your seat at 5krpm. According to the stock guage its only fully boosting from 5k onwards. I think a boost leak and dire need of a stage 0 tune is holding things back. IMHO the car was chipped when some components needed replaced which is hardly ideal.