Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

cone air filter heat shield

Views : 10192

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 29th, 2010, 16:29   #1
rabbitwoman1977

Default cone air filter heat shield

I fitted a k&n cone filter to my 1997 V70R in dec and it pulled well,now ive noticed with all the hot weather it is not pulling so good,i was told this may be because of the cone filter sucking in so much hot air..can i buy a heat shield or has anyone made one?
any help would be grateful
thanks
rabbitwoman1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2010, 19:43   #2
gmain1967
Premier Member

Probably your cheapest and best option is to speak to a metal fabricator/welder/blacksmith. Show them what you need, and they will more than likely be able to make one up from a single piece of aluminium or stainless steel sheet.

You can buy them (I think BSR do one for the V70), but you pay for it... I just tried the website but there seems to be a problem if you go and try look at the filters section...

Best of luck!
gmain1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2010, 05:06   #3
stu_850t5
Master Member

ive got the BSR cone filter on my 850R with a BSR heatshield, personally i think a car will run better with the standard airbox unless your running big BHP and/or like the turbo chatter

i must admit the BSR heatshield does look very fiddly to replica but im no metal worker lol if you were closer id lend you my heatshield for someone to use it as a template. most i can help with is getting you some pictures???????
stu_850t5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2010, 07:28   #4
RT Mechanics
A yellow volvo lover

I did this

but do have a bit more room then most the BSR optiflow is a good item with a heatsheild around it
RT Mechanics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 01:02   #5
Nuisance
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Mechanics View Post
I did this

but do have a bit more room then most the BSR optiflow is a good item with a heatsheild around it
How the hell are you going to get 13.5cu/ft per second of air through that biscuit tin? (assuming running 2 bar @ 7,000 rpm) Where does the intake come from?

What a ridiculous solution. . .

Probably works OK on the dyno with the bonnet up....

To summarize:
It is a well-known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it.

To summarize the summary:
Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

To summarize the summary of the summary:
People are a problem.

Last edited by Nuisance; Jun 2nd, 2010 at 01:11.
Nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 17:46   #6
stu_850t5
Master Member

can you not see the pipes coming in from underneath?
stu_850t5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 19:38   #7
gmain1967
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuisance View Post
How the hell are you going to get 13.5cu/ft per second of air through that biscuit tin? (assuming running 2 bar @ 7,000 rpm) Where does the intake come from?

What a ridiculous solution. . .

Probably works OK on the dyno with the bonnet up....
Any other threads you want to belittle, nuisance? You don't rate a cone filter and/or heatshield setup. You jumped in similar on the "any thoughts on a decent air filter thread" as well. We get the picture.

Now for those of us that want to discuss this, why not just leave us be, unless you can be a bit more constructive?
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 20:40   #8
Nuisance
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmain1967 View Post
Any other threads you want to belittle, nuisance? You don't rate a cone filter and/or heatshield setup. You jumped in similar on the "any thoughts on a decent air filter thread" as well. We get the picture.

Now for those of us that want to discuss this, why not just leave us be, unless you can be a bit more constructive?
More constructive....

TBH what I've said is about the only "non-chav" constructive comment on the subject... Just because it isn't the answer you want doesn't mean it's wrong.

Cone filters in the engine bay are worse than airbox systems. End of story!

Just like the BOV compared to a re-circ valve on our cars...

Have you actually even bothered to calculate the amount of air a 2.3l Turbo engine needs under full boost....

Like I already said. a 2.3l engine under full boost at 2 bar requires 13.5 cuft of air EVERY SECOND. If anybody in their right mind even thinks they can get that through one of these biscuit tin systems with no real restriction or heat issues they are seriously deluded. You will be at a negative pressure of -2bar at the airbox, and if the airbox is not properly sealed you'll be sucking in air from all sorts of unwanted (hot) places.

Why make life difficult for your engine...

If you care to read the original post you will find that the poster has already had issues with hot air intake and is looking for a solution.... What I can say is that sticking a biscuit tin round a cone filter just isn't going to give you what you disposed of in the first place (Original airbox)

A sensible approach would be something like a BMC CDA if that's what you are looking for.

These cone filters are nothing more than chav bling. (a bit like sticking lolly sticks in your bicycle wheels)

I'm surprised that the amount of work Russ has done on his car, that he has compromised the air intake in such a way. Sure it will work fine on some dyno with the bonnet open, but get it on a track with a closed bonnet and it will be rather restrictive (bleeding hot air into the turbo)

I've posted elsewhere that you really need to look at finding air that is BOTH dense and cold for optimal performance. Then you need to look at the least restrictive way of getting it to the turbocharger.

Considering that you need over 13 cuft of air every second you are looking at over 150mph air speed through your airbox.

I really don't think you guys have thought this through.

To summarize:
It is a well-known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it.

Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

People are a problem.
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 20:55   #9
gmain1967
Premier Member

OK, then look at my S40 T4.

Standard setup and airbox has the air brought in through a small diameter fabric pipe from behind the innerwing/headlight.

My current setup has twin feeds from both foglights with a large diameter pipe, running direct to the filter.

Which setup sees more direct cold air?

Equally, why do most high power output Nissan Skylines, Supras etc, almost always use cone filters.

I had my Subaru tuned by one of the most reputable tuners in the UK, and first things recommended were exhaust and airbox (remove, throw away, and replace).
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 22:08   #10
Nuisance
VOC Member

Quote:
OK, then look at my S40 T4.

Standard setup and airbox has the air brought in through a small diameter fabric pipe from behind the innerwing/headlight.

My current setup has twin feeds from both foglights with a large diameter pipe, running direct to the filter.
Beware of puddles.

Quote:
Equally, why do most high power output Nissan Skylines, Supras etc, almost always use cone filters.
The same reason that the likes of Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, Bugatti, and many other manufacturers of VERY high performance cars DON'T use cone filters.

All those Skylines, Supras, Evos and Scoobys are built by mechanics out of after market bolt on accessories, not by teams of automotive engineers.

To summarize:

People are a problem.

Tags
perilous cowboy, rt mechanics