Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

cone air filter heat shield

Views : 10191

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 5th, 2010, 00:31   #21
Nuisance
VOC Member

CFD may be the latest expensive high tech F1 toy, but it's real easy to read...

To summarize:
It is a well-known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it.

To summarize the summary:
Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

To summarize the summary of the summary:
People are a problem.
Nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2010, 09:28   #22
strbryan
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmain1967 View Post
As above, thankyou. You have answered my question.

Taking the light out isn't really a practical option for roaduse, so IMO, the foglight solution is about as good as it can be. I could have placed the intakes in the radiator opening, but that would possibly compromise air into the radiator, and intercooler. And they don't look too out of place.
Have you got any pictures of your air intake system, as it would seem you simply cant grasp what Nuisance is saying.

I do chuckle when people think that a rolling road is the most accurate way of accumulating there actual BHP figures.

Tell me, do you often drive around with your bonnet open and with a head on wind speed of 40MPH?
strbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2010, 09:55   #23
gmain1967
Premier Member

Ok strbryan.

As was eventually conceded, my setup and similar, with intakes direct into the airflow on a flat portion of the front, the length kept as short as possible, and the cold air being blasted in the area around the filter (which, as I have pointed out, is as large a filter as will fit in the aperture), is better than the standard Volvo S40 setup. Are you disputing that?

That in essence, is my point. My setup, and anyone else who wishes to do similar, is more efficient than standard, with a mostly hidden air intake, behind a headlight/wing.

Other aspects of the S40 airflow that I was less than happy with and have changed are more simple. The open radiator aperture in the front bumper/spoiler is very prone to damage as it sits low down, with no protection. Given the roads that I travel where rabbits and pheasants are a daily hazard, I made up a grille to cover this area and offer protection.
gmain1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2010, 10:49   #24
strbryan
I've Been Banned

Yes I am disputing your setup, if I wasn't then I wouldn't of commented on your post.

Where exactly are you getting your "cold air" from?From what I can tell you are running an "Open" air system i.e. a simple cone filter with NO sealed heat shield.Am I correct so far?

Am I also correct in saying that your "Cold air intake" is situated about 6" from the road?
Old Jun 5th, 2010, 12:19   #25
gmain1967
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by strbryan View Post
Yes I am disputing your setup, if I wasn't then I wouldn't of commented on your post.

Where exactly are you getting your "cold air" from?From what I can tell you are running an "Open" air system i.e. a simple cone filter with NO sealed heat shield.Am I correct so far?

Am I also correct in saying that your "Cold air intake" is situated about 6" from the road?
Well if you had read the posts, you would have noted that the intakes are mounted in the foglight apertures. If you are not familiar with an S40 phase 1.5, these are in excess of a foot from the road. Located at 90 degrees to the road, these offer about as unrestricted a flow of air as you can get, and better than a hidden intake as standard.

My system would be classed as open, given that the filter does not sit in a sealed environment like an airbox setup, or the BMC system listed, but is as good as I can make up myself at present. I have actually been looking for a cylinder or box of some sort, which will fit around my filter (must accomodate the filter but would be cut for a tight fit prior to the MAF housing, and with cold air inlet at the opposite end).

I have not simply bolted a small cone filter on, and dropped it into a "biscuit tin", as a poster referred to previously (not your good self), as I appreciate what that would result in!
Old Jun 5th, 2010, 12:42   #26
strbryan
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Well if you had read the posts, you would have noted that the intakes are mounted in the foglight apertures. If you are not familiar with an S40 phase 1.5, these are in excess of a foot from the road. Located at 90 degrees to the road, these offer about as unrestricted a flow of air as you can get, and better than a hidden intake as standard.

My system would be classed as open, given that the filter does not sit in a sealed environment like an airbox setup, or the BMC system listed, but is as good as I can make up myself at present. I have actually been looking for a cylinder or box of some sort, which will fit around my filter (must accomodate the filter but would be cut for a tight fit prior to the MAF housing, and with cold air inlet at the opposite end).

I have not simply bolted a small cone filter on, and dropped it into a "biscuit tin", as a poster referred to previously (not your good self), as I appreciate what that would result in!
Just to get a couple of things straight here..

Yes I am familiar with the x40's (my wife has one) and know exactly where you have located your "Cold LOL Air intake".However you has missed answering my question regarding the whereabouts of your air intake being cold.

Now don,t get me wrong as I do understand that you don,t have a "High powered Volvo" so your need for COLD air isn't of importance, BUT going back to what Nuisance was referring to.To get FREE BHP you need a SEALED air intake which is capable of achieving the correct air flow (check his well presented equation).

Now myself being a plumber I understand "radiant heat" which in simple terms means (Heat that is generated from an object) i.e. the road that you drive on gives off radiant heat.

Last edited by strbryan; Jun 5th, 2010 at 12:48.
Old Jun 5th, 2010, 12:56   #27
gmain1967
Premier Member

Care to elaborate on "high powered"?

As you have proven thus far, you do know very little regarding my T4, and it's current state of tune...

As for radiated heat from the road - do me a favour. Short of having a refrigeration unit, how are you meant to get any colder, free flowing air, than with a front mounted intake?

What next? Reflective coating on the bonnet to bounce away the suns rays during our current minor heatwave (even here in Scotland)?

And just to avoid any additional blind alleys, I have heatwrapped the current exhaust as much as practical, to reduce heat soak from it also, back into the engine bay. Like Tesco, every little helps
Old Jun 5th, 2010, 17:55   #28
strbryan
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Care to elaborate on "high powered"?

As you have proven thus far, you do know very little regarding my T4, and it's current state of tune...

As for radiated heat from the road - do me a favour. Short of having a refrigeration unit, how are you meant to get any colder, free flowing air, than with a front mounted intake?

What next? Reflective coating on the bonnet to bounce away the suns rays during our current minor heatwave (even here in Scotland)?

And just to avoid any additional blind alleys, I have heatwrapped the current exhaust as much as practical, to reduce heat soak from it also, back into the engine bay. Like Tesco, every little helps
It would seem just like Russ, you too are also unable to answer a simple question.

WHERE EXACTLY ARE YOU GETTING YOUR COLD AIR FROM??????

In case you are unable to see the above question, I have used Capital, bold text and under lined the question.....

LOL @ heat wrap to reduce heat soak, that sums up your knowledge nicely..

Last edited by strbryan; Jun 5th, 2010 at 17:59.
Old Jun 5th, 2010, 19:10   #29
gmain1967
Premier Member

I'm not going to get into a tit for tat with you mate - I've seen you do this on too many threads to be honest

I sought advice before doing what I did, on this forum, as well as the s40 concepts site. IMO, this was the best compromise that I can achieve, with practicality. Others too, seem to have done OK, so we'll just live with that and let it be.

Without prejudice

Grant
The Following User Says Thank You to gmain1967 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 5th, 2010, 19:29   #30
strbryan
I've Been Banned

I asked you a simple question which it would seem you are unable to answer, how is that tit for tat?

Tags
perilous cowboy, rt mechanics