Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

'99 2.0i aux belt configuration.

Views : 950

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 12th, 2014, 17:28   #1
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Default '99 2.0i aux belt configuration.

Hi all, on my way out just now i heard a sound an then the battery light came on, loss of power steering as well so i knew what it was, then there was the cautious limp home 8 miles because i was unsure how long my lights would hold out with no charging.

I checked when i got home and the belt hasn't broken or frayed in any way, i appears to have just come off, i have spun all the pulleys that i can reach and they all spin freely so it doesn't seem to be that something has locked up and thrown it off, are belts known to just jump off? the belt is pretty perished though so ill grab a new one tomorrow.

Also, does anyone have a picture or guide as to how to thread it up, as on previous cars with as many pulleys as this there can often be more than one config that is possible but only one that will actually be correct.

Many thanks in advance
Old Dec 13th, 2014, 01:11   #2
kieran40
I've Been Banned

It's a right pain still catches me out even with a photograph lol, I just try and try and try agin in the end I get it on right I don't envy you
kieran40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2014, 10:25   #3
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Yeah it's not exactly a breeze is it lol, although from what I can see the belt has literally just dropped off the alternator, it's all still round the pulleys in what looks to be the correct order, all I gotta do is undo the tensioner and slip it back on, although I'm not sure where the tensioner is, is it the uppermost small pulley that the back of the belt runs along, it has a 15mm head, I've added a picture, although I cant even touch the bolt, let alone get a spanner on it properly, I have got it to move about half a turn but cor it ain't half tight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (114.0 KB, 17 views)
Old Dec 13th, 2014, 14:25   #4
kieran40
I've Been Banned

The tensioner is at the top it has a metal pulley attached to it and a 17 mm nut built into the body, you can't miss it
Old Dec 13th, 2014, 16:25   #5
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Cheers, although no such luck as the tensioner is seized solid, off to the garage on Monday morning, I'd do it myself but we are busy at work and I need it up and running asap so I haven't really got the time, I rang the place who did all my mot work and my clutch a couple of weeks ago and they said they'd look after me as they know how much it's cost me already, which is nice, provided I can get it to start that is, just tried it after the having the barely 3 month old battery on charge for about 4 hours and all in getting is seriously dimming lights and solenoid chatter when I turn the key, battery tested at 13.6v on the multi meter after charging so god knows, it's back on charge now so ill see in the morning.

The other half isn't amused as we were supposed to be off doing Christmas shopping today, her comment being something along the lines of "how the fudge can it be broken again, it's just cost a shed load of money and has only just been MOTd!" I have explained that that's not how it works but she's still ****ed off lol
Old Dec 13th, 2014, 16:34   #6
kieran40
I've Been Banned

Have you sprayed it with wd40 give it a good soak it should budge mate , that's cars for you Clarkey doesn't matter what you have or drive things wear out and go wrong. That's why if I had the money I'd change my cars every 3 years no mot's and other things to worry about. But who has that kind of money where you can walk into a volvo showroom and drive off in a brand new xc90 or v70 lol
Old Dec 13th, 2014, 16:46   #7
clarkey1984
Premier Member

I did consider wd40 but weren't so sure if it would be good for the belt, I suppose it can't hurt to try it though, although the bearings are gone on guessing because it won't spin at all, I can just about get both hands on it and drag it round but that's gonna destroy the belt I'd imagine.
Old Dec 13th, 2014, 20:04   #8
kieran40
I've Been Banned

Use a extension bar mate pull the tensioner back
Old Dec 13th, 2014, 20:07   #9
clarkey1984
Premier Member

I see what you mean mate but the tensioner itself is nackered, it doesnt turn anymore, seized solid, at least i know what the whizzy alternator bearing sort of sound was now anyway, the tensioner killing itself lol
Old Dec 13th, 2014, 20:18   #10
kieran40
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkey1984 View Post
I see what you mean mate but the tensioner itself is nackered, it doesnt turn anymore, seized solid, at least i know what the whizzy alternator bearing sort of sound was now anyway, the tensioner killing itself lol
Try giving it a good soak in wd40 Clarkey it should free up