Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bristol 'going green'

Views : 3832

Replies : 60

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 6th, 2019, 10:05   #1
christheancient
Aged Volvo Lover

Location: A place in mendip-land famous for its cheese - and its gorge
Default Bristol 'going green'

Bristol looks like it's really going to make life 'interesting' (?) and expensive for the motorist.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-50292596

I'm glad I moved away from there when I retired. It's not the easiest city to get around... and that's when one knows where one wants to actually go. I did not enjoy driving around it... but I had to, it was my job.

But I think that their 'forward planning' (?) is a bit OTT and unlikely to materialise in that there are thoughts of an underground railway system in the future!

Our children don't inherit the world from us. We are borrowing it from them.
christheancient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2019, 10:38   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by christheancient View Post
Bristol looks like it's really going to make life 'interesting' (?) and expensive for the motorist.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-50292596

I'm glad I moved away from there when I retired. It's not the easiest city to get around... and that's when one knows where one wants to actually go. I did not enjoy driving around it... but I had to, it was my job.

But I think that their 'forward planning' (?) is a bit OTT and unlikely to materialise in that there are thoughts of an underground railway system in the future!
perfect for us petrol engine owners and classic cars with high CO emissions ,which will be allowed in freely to what is a huge controlled area actually . , however nothing is set in stone yet ..
Old Nov 6th, 2019, 11:30   #3
domhart10
Volvo S40

sounds like the people living there will buy petrol cars going forward.

Good idea for the air pollution there I guess, but might reduce business as a result?

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2019, 12:28   #4
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

As a general point things like this should be controlled by national government and local councils should be prevented from dicking about with bonkers and ill informed ideas - they should be spending their time and money on things in their gift to improve.

I remember 20 odd years ago York introduced higher parking fees, closed roads and carparks and whilst they didn't prohibit cars they made it more difficult and expensive to use them. In fairness they did put a good park and ride scheme in but it was operated with 20 year old buses belching black smoke out.

Take London - if you want to improve the air quality there then get rid of the ancient black cabs - I had a ride in a 1989 (F -plate) one last month.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 6th, 2019, 13:35   #5
YabbaDabbaDoo

Intresting they allow emergency services free what about non emergency service vehicles such as patient transport?, they aren't allowed in bus lanes or don't get any preferential treatment but the fleet is made up of 95%+ diesel vehicles are they going to be banned or charged for providing an essential service? putting more strain on a broken health service.
YabbaDabbaDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to YabbaDabbaDoo For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 6th, 2019, 14:04   #6
christheancient
Aged Volvo Lover

Location: A place in mendip-land famous for its cheese - and its gorge

There are no two ways about it.

Wherever one goes (and not just necessarily in the UK), things just cannot go on the way they are. In the time that the infernal combustion engine has been in use, its use has escalated alarmingly. And the environment is suffering. And so are people.

But, we're not the worst. The BBC news coverage of life in Delhi is horrific. And there are plenty of other Asian areas that are getting as bad. But how long before some parts of the UK are almost as bad?

At my age, I can sit back and say: "Well it won't affect me in my lifetime." And then I remember London in the smogs back in the 1950's. Not pleasant. We can't leave it all to our children to sort out. It will be interesting to see if a new government will start taking notice of the fact that a lot of people do care.

But will we ever really separate some people from their petrol/diesel engines?

Our children don't inherit the world from us. We are borrowing it from them.
christheancient is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to christheancient For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 6th, 2019, 14:05   #7
green van man
Premier Member

Eldest daughter lived in Bristol while at uni. On all my visits I never found the air particularly poluted. As for driving there, that's where the M32 dumps you, in the city center. I was following sat nav at 07.30 am and it took me M32, city center and out the other side. On the way home I found the M49 and by passed bristol.

Years ago visited Portsmouth, found a park and ride and took bus. Visited Chester and again find park and ride and use bus. As a visitor it's simple, as a tradesman with materials, tools and equipment to get to site it's a nightmare. Just wait till prices rise to compensate for extra costs and the eco warriors will not be so keen.

Having visited Bangkok where a visible pall hangs over the city Bristol is not in the same league. Even in Bangkok I nor the wife found any ill effects from breathing the air and she suffers from a debilitating respory desiese that would of quickly flared up if the polution was harmful.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote